La Vuelta 2020

and now we also have the Vuelta, starting tomorrow (18 stages only). Man, they are certain to get snow in some of their many massive mountain top finishes…

Will Froome be there after 10 stages?

he hasn’t ridden race-hard for almost two years now. makes you wonder.

Answered my own question far sooner than I thought. Roglic continues his remarkable season, while Froome dropped 11:12 on the very first stage. Can’t see him hanging around for long.

I don’t know, Vuelta is shorter, but you can’t count Froome out just yet, it’s only stage 2!

Froome will be fine. He’s riding as a mountain domestique for Carapaz. So if he needs he can drop out the back anytime he likes. He’s just riding to get his legs back. Last race for Ineos before he moves to Israel.

Maybe some die hard Froome fans hoping he is a GC contender, but I’m just glad to see him back. He has always been enjoyable to watch, especially the way he rides 300w @ 90rpm.

1 Like

Froome dropped another 18:25 in Stage 2. He is now 29:53 down - so definately only playing s supporting role.

The stage to the Tourmalet on Sunday could be in doubt too as they might not be able to cross the border into France due to Covid-19 issues.

Meanwhile, the Giro has had Stage 20 (on Saturday) altered and shortened as the French wont let them over the Border due to Covid-19 issues (was to include the Agnello (reports suggest snow there in any case), Izoard and MontGenevre). Now they climb to Sestriere (the original finish) 3 times.

at least the French are blocking both Vuelta AND Giro on the same grounds. not just one or the other.

Given the latest lot of Lockdowns etc in Spain, I do wonder how many more stages we might see. Today is a Rest Day though.

I very often watched the tour de France but never ever watched La Vuelta, is it any good?

Sure is. Very similar in teams, tactics, tension.

The Tour has the history of course, and arguably better scenery and certainly it’s more accessible on media and tv packages.

The Vuelta and recent editions of the Giro have made a name for being longer, tougher and harder than the Tour. Plus there’s the Angliru!

2 Likes

One of my favorite GCN videos presenting a pretty epic climb.

Wow. Roglic with win #3. And on a sprinters’ day?

And tomorrow/tonight has 4 Cat 1 climbs…

A friend shared this on FB.

Now that’s an effort.

I think the Angliru will do that to most people!

Impressive ride for Carthy: first grand tour win comes on the Angliru! Well done that man!

and Carapaz back in red… will he beat Roglic in the time trial?