Lab Grown Ivory and the Trade

If we can grow meat in a lab, what about growing ivory in a lab?

This would stop elephant poaching.

2 Likes

Yes! I’ll have my organs replaced with lab grown as they fail, but I want my dentures made of lab grown ivory.

now that’s actually an awesome idea! I’ll cut you in on 1% of my company profits. First of all, back to the lab to invent the damn thing!

see you laters!

1 Like

I’m just surprised no one thought to try to make lab grown ivory when they can now grow beef or chicken. Is it because of regulations?

The process can’t be that different, and it seems CRISPR is making genetic modification much easier.

If ivory were grown in a lab, it wouldn’t contain the “elephant spirit” found in natural ivory that makes it so valuable in traditional medicine.

2 Likes

I thought they are just used for making jewelry, billiard balls, and piano keys.

There are lab grown bones, so ivory should be easy.

Very much a thing in China, also boiling dog in Korea for strength points or pickling horse d*cks in Vietnam for stamina points.

1 Like

Actually you want to protect wild elephants?

Someone like Elon Musk can mass produce lab grown ivories, and then flood the market with these lab grown ivories that are indistinguishable from the real thing. It will then destroy the price of illicit ivory and cause people to not want to kill elephants.

Much better than jailing someone for 10 years for being caught with ivory.

1 Like

Not passing judgement on different cultures. Not a moral relativist either. Prefer humane treatment but, you know I’d be a hypocrite if I said every animal I’ve eaten has had a good life.

Rhino horn is the big one for small schlongs.

1 Like

In China? I saw my friend’s dad’s jar of horse dick while in Hanoi. This is technically illegal in Vietnam but ya now ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I don’t know if it grows it or just makes it stronger or what.

Let’s take it further, Elon Musk can mass produce lab-grown food to meet the needs of the people poaching elephants to make money for their village, or for themselves through factions. Remove the conditions that create poaching and create real wealth for everyone instead. Everyone wins.

But no, he’d rather move to Mars.

1 Like

Apparently it’s a myth…

Rhino horn is just like fingernails, grind up clipped nails and make into powder, sell, huge profit.

Well, for any of this to work you have to believe the spirit of the animal resides in it’s body parts and you are absorbing that power. Not trying to be disrespec’in anyone’s culture but like, sounds a little far-fetched.

Are you suggesting we should make lab-grown horse dick?

I’m no biologist, but bones consist of cells and could be produced through cell reproduction like meat? But ivory is not composed of once-living cells, it’s material produced by specialized cells of a larger organism. On the other hand, synthetic ivory is already a thing.

2 Likes

Why not? I’m sure we can lab grow anything biological if we understand the process.

No need to grow horse dicks. Horses are not endangered.

If we can lab grow biological items from endangered species that would prevent said species from being hunted to extinction, it’s worth it.