Labor insurance denied due to lack of work permit, though no permit needed

I have been living in Taiwan and married to a Taiwanese spouse for app. 7 years. I work at an international school. By law, the school needs to apply for and pay for labor insurance (lao bao). This is not something I want, just something the school must do. The applications for two of us have been rejected and sent back three times now for the two of us who have spouse status and didn’t need to apply for work permits. (This posed no problem for any other agency that deals with the school.)

I don’t want to break down and get a standard work permit like the labor insurance people want, simply in order to get these people to recognize current law and make things easier for other foreigners later.

I do know, though, that the foreign affairs police can note my place of employment on the back of my ARC and put a little chop next to it. Maybe this would take care of things. Anyone have a similar experience?

Also, does anyone know of anyplace online to get copies of relevant laws regarding employment for spouses of Taiwanese nationals?


This sounds interesting. If your employer is willing to file an administrative appeal, and you are still within the 30 day limit (from when you received the rejection), I would be willing to write it up for you on a pro-bono basis. However, there are postage, delivery, secretarial costs, verification costs, etc. involved, so you might have to reimburse me a couple thousand NT$.

You would need give me three sets of copies of all data. That would include all copies of the relevant application paperwork, including foreigner’s ID data; rejection letter, including laws/regulations cited, and any attachments; employer’s data (including copies of licenses, etc.), boss’s ID card, etc.

You should advise me of the exact date when the rejection was received.

My email is, and I could give you my mailing address (You provide the postage stamps).

Thanks, Richard, for the very kind response. We were able to get an appointment with one of the dep’t heads, through a bit of guanxi. (figured we had better do this first, as the simplest approach.) It turns out we simply needed to submit our household registries (hu ji tung ben). The lao bao people could have been clearer that this was what was missing, and for our part, the Chinese staff member was unclear that foreigners in our status do actually have this document, unlike most foreigners, and hadn’t submitted it in the first place. So it was just a matter of paperwork, in the end, fortunately.

Many Thanks!