Labor reform...not going well

Lawyers created the minimum wage? I guess I need to review my history books.

Let’s step back a bit. Exactly what is your goal in implementing a minimum wage, what do you suppose is the mechanism by which this goal is achieved, and have you considered alternative possibilities for reaching it?

Sorry, I don’t have time to re-invent the wheel for the sake of this discussion. The wiki article has a nice quote from Churchill, fwiw. I’m sure you would object on the grounds of twittiness, but at least he’s not a middle class twit like your lawyers. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

We’ve had this conversation before. If you get a time machine and want to go back to the Dickensian era, I won’t stop you. Farewell, Mr. Finley. :bowing:

Lawyers created not just the minimum wage but the concept of labor standards? Wow, I have so much to learn from the Finleyndian education system, if only I could aford it.

Oh no, we can’t have economic planning! :runaway:

Even the Americanized, 21st century GOP-ized version of Hayek in Jotham’s rap video was in favor of economic planning. “But who plans for whom? I want plans by the many, not plans by the few.” :musical_note: :grinning: :rainbow:

As for the price of bread, you don’t mind if the baker is forced to accept the bread he bakes in lieu of cash, regardless of whether it’s calculated at the wholesale price, the retail price, or any other price. I think most bakers would prefer to have some kind of regulation. (NB I am talking about the baker as an employee, which appears to be the default situation in this era of international bakery chains.)

In my experience it’s the other way around, but I suppose we’re not using the same exemplars of each “world”.

Oh, geez. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: If you don’t like it, just leave! If that means leaving the planet, so be it!

If it’s wrong for the government to forbid selling your kidney as part of an employment contract, surely it’s twice as wrong for the government to forbid selling both your kidneys. It massively abrogates Darwin’s law.

Or does it? :eek: Which society is stronger, the one where half the population walks around with a missing kidney and the other half is already dead, or the one where the government does its job by regulating things?

Here’s a three part series explaining one aspect of what I’m talking about. It’s not only a labor issue.

Over the last few years, it has become increasingly difficult to apply for a credit card, use a cellphone, get cable or Internet service, or shop online without agreeing to private arbitration. The same applies to getting a job, renting a car or placing a relative in a nursing home.

Over the last 10 years, thousands of businesses across the country — from big corporations to storefront shops — have used arbitration to create an alternate system of justice. There, rules tend to favor businesses, and judges and juries have been replaced by arbitrators who commonly consider the companies their clients, The Times found.

The change has been swift and virtually unnoticed, even though it has meant that tens of millions of Americans have lost a fundamental right: their day in court.

Others have already explained it far more succinctly than I ever could, so I defer to them. :bowing:

I will, however, share one more clip with you.

If that doesn’t crack you up, nothing I can say will ever make sense to you. :idunno: