(lack of) Water in Taoyuan County

Ok let me confess, this is a rant.

The water here is Taoyuan has just gone off again after the recent Typhoon, and in my area it looks like it will be at least 4 days.

I have been here for about 14 months and this is approx the 5th or 6th time we have lost it for more than a day.

As you all know, losing water in this sort of hot and humid weather is the absolute pits - I like to have a couple of showers a day at this time of the year as it is to keep from getting too stinky.
Last year, we had no supply for 14 days in one stretch, at the peak of summer.

So, how long will this go on for? This is not cause by random ‘Acts of God’ but seasonal weather that happens several times a year.
It is 2005, in modern country with good resources. Is this something we can ‘hope’ will be resolved soon or is it one of those ‘Taiwan’ things that it is best to learn to deal with, forever?

if they’d just fix it instead of offering to resign …

i can’t count the number of times i’ve gone through this. although we still seem to have water now (shh! don’t tell anyone). may not sound like much, but buy tickets to a local swimming pool, and use the showers there.

if yourbuilding has a pool, they will likely let you take the water out in (large) buckets. i remember doing this when i lived in nankan. otherwise, line up for the firetrucks …

they’ll actually manage to fix it one of these years. they thought they had fixed it, but whatever they did broke the first time they tried to use it (see today’s TT). sound familiar?

I have mixed feelings about your post Truant. On the one hand, that sounds terrible and you have my complete empathy. No shower, no toilet flushing, peeuuuh. That really sucks. On the other hand, my former boss lives in Taoyuan, so I think it’s just great. :smiling_imp:

Aside from that I can add that I know what you’re going through, because I lost power and water in my prior apartment during a typhoon and during the water rationing (although we never lost it as long as you) and it really does suck. I assume you save containers of water in advance to wash and flush the toilet.

I assume you realize also that people with water tanks on the roof don’t have any problem; it’s only a problem for those who have to pump water up to the apartment. I know that because I remember being pissed off during the water rationing when I learned that those with tanks on the roof were never forced to ration at all.

Anyway, maybe this will be consolation for you. It could be worse. During one typhoon, my wife parked on a hill but her car was still completely submerged with water. During the next typhoon her apartment was filled a foot deep with mud and the power was out for a few weeks. Hope that makes you feel better.

You’re right, what you’re experiencing should not happen in a developed nation.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
You’re right, what you’re experiencing should not happen in a developed nation.[/quote]

Guys you are kidding right? In case you forgot I’ll repost the photo here…

Can you imagine the millions of tons of sediment trying to be filtered through the local water supply? Sure they could provide water right now, but they’d also ruin every filtration system they have and because of this when suspended particles reach a certain level they shut it down.

This isn’t a matter of developed country or not, it’s just simply the raw power of mother nature. You think if a dam (and it’s surrounding watershed) in the US suddenly received 120cm of rain in under 36 hours they’d be able to cope any better?

If it makes you feel any better, I don’t have any water either… :frowning:

fair enough, but if the US did get that sort of weather up to 5 times a year, year after year,then I’d expect perhaps a decent solution such as a pipe from a nearby unaffected area to be put in years ago to help out. Or some (more if need be) huge satellite tanks to store water when it is good.

I do see lots and lots of waterpipe work going on around Taoyuan, so lets hope they are hooking up an alternative

Truant, think BIG garbage cans for next time… :wink:

I know it sucks, but I have alot more respect for what the water boys have to deal with after going up to the dam last Friday.

All the times I’ve been to Taiwan, I never noticed large water towers like you see all over the US. Might be a good idea to store up some clean water.

Look again…and consider earthquakes and typhoones into how high and prominent they should be placed. Almost every building have at least one on the roof…

If a typhoon is coming, we fill up the bathtub, just in case.

onionsack.org/forum/index.php?topic=645.0

Have a looky-look.

We are good for another 4-5 days from our own water tower - also they are turning on the water for a few hours every third day, thuse enabling us to refill our towers.

I can still flush and shower, but I have stopped washing my clothes.

Houses w/o water towers?

Poor them, I realy feel for them.