Landing vs. Visitor Visa

So I am traveling from America with the purpose of finding a job in Taiwan once I get there. As I understand it I have two options for the visa as an American.

1. Get a landing visa for 90 days, but if I get a job I have to leave the country to Hong Kong or South Korea possibly to get a visitors visa that I can then turn into a different visa and a work permit. Free,

2. Get a visitors visa from the start 60 days with two possible extensions for a total of 180 days. And if I get a job I wouldn’t have to leave the country to change it to another visa for the work permit. $160.00

Is this all correct? This is what I understood from previous forums. I just don’t want to pay the money for a visitors visa if I would still have to leave the country. I want to avoid running around Hong Kong or Seoul trying to make it to the Taiwanese embassy. Please help me confirm or clarify my understanding. Thank you!

Its called VISA FREE entry. NOt a Landing Visa.

Just do the Visa Free, until you find a job, then make a quick run to HongKong or Macau and do what you do.

Its a bit of a confusion whether Visa Free can be converted to ARC directly. I think it can, but some say no.

[quote=“Caro3600”]So I am traveling from America with the purpose of finding a job in Taiwan once I get there. As I understand it I have two options for the visa as an American.

1. Get a landing visa for 90 days, but if I get a job I have to leave the country to Hong Kong or South Korea possibly to get a visitors visa that I can then turn into a different visa and a work permit. Free,

2. Get a visitors visa from the start 60 days with two possible extensions for a total of 180 days. And if I get a job I wouldn’t have to leave the country to change it to another visa for the work permit. $160.00

Is this all correct? This is what I understood from previous forums. I just don’t want to pay the money for a visitors visa if I would still have to leave the country. I want to avoid running around Hong Kong or Seoul trying to make it to the Taiwanese embassy. Please help me confirm or clarify my understanding. Thank you![/quote]

Yes, you’ve pretty much got it. As Tommy said, there are differing opinions as to whether you can convert a visa-free entry to a residence visa without leaving the country. I think it’s another case of YMMV in Taiwan.

The common advice I hear, and agree with, is what Tommy said: Save the $160 by not getting a visitors visa. You’re supposed to have an onward ticket for either visa-free or visitors visa entry anyway, so apply that $160 toward buying a refundable onward ticket to Hong Kong, departing before your 90 days is up. If, after getting a job and your work permit, you do have to leave the country in order to secure an ARC, you’ll already have half of the visa run paid for. If you don’t have to leave the country, then get a refund.

Thank you everyone this is very helpful! After receiving this advice and advice from some other sources I feel that Visa-free is my best option! Again thank you so much for all your help.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”][quote=“Caro3600”]So I am traveling from America with the purpose of finding a job in Taiwan once I get there. As I understand it I have two options for the visa as an American.

Is this all correct? This is what I understood from previous forums. I just don’t want to pay the money for a visitors visa if I would still have to leave the country. I want to avoid running around Hong Kong or Seoul trying to make it to the Taiwanese embassy. Please help me confirm or clarify my understanding. Thank you![/quote]

Yes, you’ve pretty much got it. As Tommy said, there are differing opinions as to whether you can convert a visa-free entry to a residence visa without leaving the country. I think it’s another case of YMMV in Taiwan.

The common advice I hear, and agree with, is what Tommy said: Save the $160 by not getting a visitors visa. You’re supposed to have an onward ticket for either visa-free or visitors visa entry anyway, so apply that $160 toward buying a refundable onward ticket to Hong Kong, departing before your 90 days is up. If, after getting a job and your work permit, you do have to leave the country in order to secure an ARC, you’ll already have half of the visa run paid for. If you don’t have to leave the country, then get a refund.[/quote]

You don’t have to leave the country if you are converting visa free to an ARC for work related reasons. It’s a little unclear but it seems that you do have to leave the country to convert visa free to an ARC for study related reasons.

The problem with #2 is that there isn’t a checkbox on the form (AFAIK) to request an extendable visitor visa. Sometimes your visa will be extendable and sometimes it will not. Even if you had an extendable visitor visa I’m pretty sure you need a reason to extend it. Visa free is the way to go now that you get 90 days.

Oh that’s great news!