Landlord does a quicky

So my landlord told me to move out, with 6 months remaining on the contract.

His daughter (the actual landlord) is moving back, and wants to use it.

I agreed. But come to think of it I will have to get my internet and satellite re-installed at my new place. Who pays for that - him or I?

I also have to pay for a mover.

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]So my landlord told me to move out, with 6 months remaining on the contract.

His daughter (the actual landlord) is moving back, and wants to use it.

I agreed. But come to think of it I will have to get my internet and satellite re-installed at my new place. Who pays for that - him or I?

I also have to pay for a mover.[/quote]

A few years ago,I was renting a place,which the owner sold. It can be quite hard to remove a tenant quickly,at least legally,and the Agent offered a small cash incentive for us to move out within 1 month,I think 20,000NT. A bonus as we would have moved anyway. So it may be worth saying you need to find somewhere else .blah blah, and mention cost of internet etc,and I think they will offer you at least some compensation to move without delays. Maybe suggest similar?

Tell your landlord to pay those costs, they are breaking contract early. If they refuse then MAKE your landlord evict you, which he can’t.

That’s what I’m thinking - his costs, not mine. Satellite re- installation - NT800. Internet re-installation - NT4000 for the next year.

I think the old goat was a bit short sighted on this one.

So what happend? Did they agree to pay or?

He won’t answer my calls. So we’ll wait and see what happens when it comes time to move out.

I see in the contract he has to pay me a month’s worth of rent as he terminated the contract early.

Hope it all works out for you then bud. Some landlords are very nice, and others are pure jerks, hope he isn’t a jerk. But from what it sounds like you may get a whole lot of nothing. Let us know what happens.

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]He won’t answer my calls. So we’ll wait and see what happens when it comes time to move out.

I see in the contract he has to pay me a month’s worth of rent as he terminated the contract early.[/quote]
So this is Taiwan right??? Not a Chinese landlord.

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]He won’t answer my calls. So we’ll wait and see what happens when it comes time to move out.

I see in the contract he has to pay me a month’s worth of rent as he terminated the contract early.[/quote]

I think the most that you are going to get is the month’s rent. I would concentrate on getting that and your deposit back and be happy.

[quote=“Abacus”][quote=“Baas Babelaas”]He won’t answer my calls. So we’ll wait and see what happens when it comes time to move out.

I think the most that you are going to get is the month’s rent. I would concentrate on getting that and your deposit back and be happy.[/quote]

I think that’s fair. I hope he does too. He seems to be playing hide-and-seek with me, re. how much he will pay out.

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”][quote=“Abacus”][quote=“Baas Babelaas”]He won’t answer my calls. So we’ll wait and see what happens when it comes time to move out.

I think the most that you are going to get is the month’s rent. I would concentrate on getting that and your deposit back and be happy.[/quote]

I think that’s fair. I hope he does too. He seems to be playing hide-and-seek with me, re. how much he will pay out.[/quote]

You will have to return the apartment in a proper manner.

First: you can set any date and any time for him to come by and reclaim his apartment.
Let him now when this will be.
Have your apartment broom clean for that day.Set the date to a couple of days before the next month rent is due.
Leave your mattress or any other furniture that’s easy to grab inside the place, so that you’re not completely moved out legally.
Have a friend/witness with you. Videotape.

Once the landlord showed up to reclaim his place, tell him under which condition you’ll move out completely and give him the keys.
If he refuses, tell him to leave your apartment (it legally is your place for the duration stipulated in the contract) and tell him that he can come back at the end of the contract.

I think, it’s important that you are not moved out yet, but can move out within five to ten minutes.
If you moved out completely, I think he could just change the locks and there wouldn’t be much of a case for you to fight in cord.

Seems things might be sorted. I had a sit-down with the landlord and my Chinese friend (we caught him by chance, visiting friends in the complex).

After ranting and raving for a long time, we got to the nitty-gritty: will he pay me my deposit plus a month’s rent penalty fee?

Yes, he said. Less the electricty and water bills, and any ‘damage’ I may have caused to the apartment (NONE).

Hmm, things might work out.

Still have to find an apartment and deal with greasy, shady, greedy agents and landlords.

He’ll find something wrong with the place, round the amount up in his favour and deduct it from what he owes you.

This is why you take pictures of places when you move into them.

I actually did that, and lost them when my last PC crashed.

I actually did that, and lost them when my last PC crashed.[/quote]

This is why you get a DropBox account. (And I promise to stop being snarky in this thread henceforth.)