Landlord might be selling house

heard from another tenant that landlord might be selling house…in contract it didn’t say anything about landlord can’t/can sell house during the contract period, or anything protecting tenant about it…I just moved in here not too long ago I am wondering what rights do the tenants have???

You should be fine. In Taiwan there is a lot of protection for the renters and less for the landlords. Just realize that when the lease is up, you might have to leave.

My apartment got sold and nothing has changed except the owner. I guess I’m lucky, and the new owner is lucky too, because he doesn’t have to go looking for anyone to keep paying the rent. I guess if the buyer wants to own the apartment as an investment, it’s better to have tenants already. As far as your actual rights, I don’t know about that. Anyone?

so if prior to the sell tenant oks with it then it’s ok, but if tenant is not ok with it then can the landlord still sell the house? I think in Taiwan the landlords just do whatever they want? I mean as long as the new landlord take over the contract, doesn’t kick you out and the rent stays the same, I guess it’s ok if it all worked out prior the sell?

[quote=“ironfist”]so if prior to the sell tenant oks with it then it’s ok, but if tenant is not ok with it then can the landlord still sell the house? I think in Taiwan the landlords just do whatever they want? I mean as long as the new landlord take over the contract, doesn’t kick you out and the rent stays the same, I guess it’s ok if it all worked out prior the sell?[/quote] Ironfist: There are laws in Taiwan that protect rentors from being kicked out their apartment if it is sold, etc. As long as the term of the lease is not up, the landlord cannot raise the rent on nor can the new landlord, nor can the new landlord kick you out, etc., that is, until the lease is up. Then they can do whatever they want. Contracts are honored in Taiwan unlike China where this is no rule of law.

When the house is sold the new oner has the right to kick anyone out. In Canada you have to give 2 months free rent and notice. Here not too sure, but don’t assume you have much rights.

HA!

We thought that this was going to happen to us and we were assured that until the lease expired nothing changed, silly landlady was asking too much and then couldn’t sell.

[quote=“Chicken”]When the house is sold the new oner has the right to kick anyone out. In Canada you have to give 2 months free rent and notice. Here not too sure, but don’t assume you have much rights.[/quote] Thats not the way it works in Taiwan. Wish it were true because I want to rent my house out in couple of years then start looking for a buyer. Some buyers might not like that there are tenants with a lease with possibility of kicking them out if they don’t want to go. Landlords can always make you an offer, but if the tenants refuse and there was no prior agreement or clause about this in the contract then the Landlord cannot do anything.

Josefus: I have friends with employment contracts that have been cheated, but it is possible to force them into compliance by going to court. It is just that a lot of slimey business people take advantage if they can get away with it. They know foreigners are more liable to be clueless and helpless so they take a chance. I suspect landlords might try the same thing to fool their foreign tenants if they think they can get away with it. Business is business to a lot of people over here and a lot of people back home in the West too.

You cannot be kicked out.
You have the Right to remain in the house until your lease expires.
The lease is binding on both the landlord and the new landlord.

IF…they try to force the issue…you can take a “legal” stand…but be prepared for nothing to be fixed etc.etc…
Get receipts for your rent.
These can be used to reduce your taxes. { not like they are much here anyways…}