Language Downloads

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Sony CR notebook, Business Vista, English. 32 bit

My girlfriend sometimes needs to type a letter up in Chinese - yet I have just discovered that Vista does not apparently come with Chinese language support. The guy in the shop (who I just spoke to on the phone) thinks it can’t be done. Maybe he didn’t understand what I meant?

WTF!!! On every other computer I’ve ever had (windows XP) I’ve had no trouble with this. At the click of a button I could select the language that I wanted to use.

Any advice, or links to downloads that will give me the Chinese pack? I have been looking for a while now… :noway:

Thanks all.

[quote=“BlackAdder”]Hi everyone,

My girlfriend sometimes needs to type a letter up in Chinese - yet I have just discovered that Vista does not apparently come with Chinese language support. The guy in the shop (who I just spoke to on the phone) thinks it can’t be done. Maybe he didn’t understand what I meant?

WTF!!! On every other computer I’ve ever had (windows XP) I’ve had no trouble with this. At the click of a button I could select the language that I wanted to use.

Any advice, or links to downloads that will give me the Chinese pack? I have been looking for a while now… :noway:

Thanks all.[/quote]

I have Vista Ultimate back home (Australia), and noticed these weird language pack thingies. When I googled around I recall being equally shocked when I came to understand that if I hadn’t of lucked in by getting Ultimate, I would not have had the Chinese language support. As I understand it, you get the fonts, and everything you need to view Chinese, but no IME on anything less than Ultimate. I hope someone will confirm.

What do you mean by “use”? All versions of XP, and I assume later ones could display and type Chinese, you just need to set it up via the regional settings.

If you want the whole windows interface in Chinese, you need certain versions of Vista, I forget which ones.

I’m trying out Windows 7, and it seems to be set up to display Chinese already, and I can add a Chinese IME from the regional settings.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]What do you mean by “use”? All versions of XP, and I assume later ones could display and type Chinese, you just need to set it up via the regional settings.

If you want the whole windows interface in Chinese, you need certain versions of Vista, I forget which ones.

I’m trying out Windows 7, and it seems to be set up to display Chinese already, and I can add a Chinese IME from the regional settings.[/quote]

Yeah, but wouldn’t these prerelease versions of Windows 7 be at the “Ultimate” level by default? I think you can’t add a Chinese IME on non-Chinese Vista at less than Ultimate level.

You can on Vista Business. I don’t know about Home Premium or Basic.

[quote=“Scarface”]Yeah, but wouldn’t these prerelease versions of Windows 7 be at the “Ultimate” level by default? I think you can’t add a Chinese IME on non-Chinese Vista at less than Ultimate level.[/quote]It is the “ultimate” edition, so I don’t know what features the other editions will have. XP Home had Chinese IMEs built in. I would be surprised it Vista didn’t have them.

[quote=“BlackAdder”]Hi everyone,

Thanks all.[/quote]Here you go. It’s actually in the Help in Vista itself, but here’s the web version for your convenience:
Type in Chinese, Japanese, and other character-based languages – Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.

[quote=“joesax”]Here you go. It’s actually in the Help in Vista itself, but here’s the web version for your convenience:
Type in Chinese, Japanese, and other character-based languages – Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.[/quote]

:notworthy: at joesax. Sorry if I misled you BlackAdder :blush:

I am still somewhat confused though. From [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925471]:

[quote]Windows Vista language packs let you to take advantage of the Multilingual User Interface (MUI) feature of Windows Vista Ultimate. A Windows Vista language pack is a set of language-specific resource files that can be added to any language version of Windows Vista Ultimate.

When you install the Windows Vista language packs, the MUI lets you change the interface language of the operating system to any of the installed languages. This feature lets users select a language that they can use.

The MUI also lets you select different languages so that users can share the same computer. For example, one user may want to see the Windows Vista menus and other text in Japanese. Another user who logs on to the same Windows Vista computer may want to see the corresponding text in French.[/quote]

Noting that the language packs are only available to Vista Ultimate, I originally interpreted the bolded text as saying the “old way” of just adding a Chinese IME as being only a Language Pack feature. I guess what is really meant is that Vista has better capabilities of localising the whole OS interface, so that it acted like you’d installed the Chinese Edition, on a user by user basis. Now if this is trye, it is not a feature to be sneezed at, as I am often upset at people installing mixed language editions of software (e.g. a relative installing Chinese MS Office on the English XP I setup for my inlaw). That would suggest those bad days will be gone!?! At least for the Vista packaged software, if not MS Office and others.

[quote=“Scarface”]I guess what is really meant is that Vista has better capabilities of localising the whole OS interface, so that it acted like you’d installed the Chinese Edition, on a user by user basis.[/quote]Right, that’s it.

Many thanks everyone!

You guys are lifesavers :notworthy:

I was all excited about being able to have a Chinese/Japanese/English OS as the mood strikes, but at $140US+ to upgrade to Vista Ultimate, I think I’ll stick w/the free built-in IME options I already know & love…

If you really need the user interface & menus in another language, it seems they also sell separate localization language packs for MS Office that work regardless of OS.

A mere $25US per language & you can enjoy the frustrations of PowerPoint in another language not only with text input but ALSO throughout the new non-intuitive annoying menu structure!

buy.trymicrosoftoffice.com/buyus … ture=en-US