Language school interview question

So, I went on an interview for a part time job at a Giraffe school last night in one of the outer counties. Owner spoke no English and had someone translate. After some basic chatting back and forth and asking me how long I planned on staying and if I could work 4 hours a day x 5 days I asked him how much the hourly pay was he wanted to know what I wanted so I said the going rate seems to be $600 and he said that was too much. Twice I said I had no ARC and wanted to know if they would provide it. After the second time he told the translator (this is what I understood with my limited Chinese) “Many don’t have it…” The translator didn’t pass this on to me. He did tell her that I would only have to work 1.5 hours a day and the rest of the time sit behind the front desk so that parents could see me. I guess I’d be marketing tool. I also sense that he wants me to work off the books.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of game playing? Any suggestions? There are a bunch of schools in the area and few of them actually have native English speakers.

Thanks.

How long did you say you planned on staying?

I’d be careful if they think 600 an hour is too much and they don’t want to provide an ARC. Also they only want you to teach 1.5 hours each day and sit behind a desk for 2.5 hours a day. That’s fine I suppose but I’d say to make sure your contract distinguishes between office hours and teaching hours. They could tell you you’ll only teach 1.5 hours and sit behind a desk for 2.5 hours to have you sign a contract at a lower monthly salary. Then later on make you teach more hours for no pay. I’d say demand an ARC and hourly pay based on teaching hours and office hours instead of salary. I wouldn’t work without an ARC either, risk of being deported although slim, and the hassle of having to do visa runs. Good luck with whatever you decide.

[quote=“clacicle”]I said the going rate seems to be $600 and he said that was too much.
He did tell her that I would only have to work 1.5 hours a day and the rest of the time sit behind the front desk so that parents could see me. I guess I’d be marketing tool. I also sense that he wants me to work off the books.

Thanks.[/quote]
She thinks it is too much because evidently they basically want you there to show the parents they have a white person teaching there; this task could be fulfilled by any white person, English-speaking or not, from one of the officially approved English-speaking countries or not. if the job could be filled by a non-English speaking, illegal 18-year-old from Russia willing to work for $400 an hour, there’s no reason to pay you more.
There’s also no reason for you to work there, I’d say.

[quote=“clacicle”]So, I went on an interview for a part time job at a Giraffe school last night in one of the outer counties. Owner spoke no English and had someone translate. After some basic chatting back and forth and asking me how long I planned on staying and if I could work 4 hours a day x 5 days I asked him how much the hourly pay was he wanted to know what I wanted so I said the going rate seems to be $600 and he said that was too much. Twice I said I had no ARC and wanted to know if they would provide it. After the second time he told the translator (this is what I understood with my limited Chinese) “Many don’t have it…” The translator didn’t pass this on to me. He did tell her that I would only have to work 1.5 hours a day and the rest of the time sit behind the front desk so that parents could see me. I guess I’d be marketing tool. I also sense that he wants me to work off the books.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of game playing?

Thanks.[/quote]

The better question: is there anyone who has not experienced this kind of game playing? If it’s not this game, it’s another one.

Prediction: they’ll keep your white face in front of the parents for a week or two while they are trying to sell parents at the beginning of term. Then they will fire you.

I think matchstickman sussed that out in the first reply.