Laptop GPS

hello was wondering what’s a good brand of laptop in taiwan…the brand are diff then in the states…I am going to use it to teach english…so will use powerpoint, internet, also laptop GPS…what’s a good GPS program to use for laptop? and also hardware…and I am not very good to input chinese into laptop…do they have Englishversion? or it’s better to use chinese since address are all in chiense and stuff? anyone have any experience with laptop GPS? thanks a lot

Papago map software is considered the best for Taiwan maps in Chinese.

I am partial to Japanese notebooks, but if I purchased a Taiwan brand, I would definitely get an ASUS.

As for GPS Hardware after comparing serveral, I found the Holux GR-231 made here in Taiwan to be the best and it is also popular in Europe. Multi-lingual user manual and many features others don’t have, worth the extra few US$.

does papago have english version

GR231 how much si that?

thanks a lot!

[quote=“Hobart”]papago map software is considered thebest for Taiwan maps in Chinese.

I am partial to Japanese notebooks but if I purchased a Taiwan brand, I definitely get an ASUS.

As for GPS Hardware after comparing serveral I found the Holux GR-231 made here in Taiwan and is also popular in Europe. Multi-lingual user manual and many features others don’t have, worth the extra few US$.[/quote]

I was at the K-mall yesterday and checked out GPS hardware. Holux seems to be the best, and the two units I looked came with Multi lingual Software/Manual. Can’t remember model numbers but they had one at 3000NT and a newer model at 4000NT. Both bluetooth or mouse port connect to Pocket PC or Laptop.

what’s the difference between dash GPS and laptop GPS? laptop you probably can get better software and it’s more flexible and cheaper then dash eh? anyone ever used both?

does papago work in the states too?

Papago is in Chinese for Taiwan people. If you speak Chinese or can’t read any Chinese, I dare say, not even a good GPS is going to help you to not get lost in Taiwan. Sorry, but as far as I know there are no maps for Chinese illiterate for Taiwan. Anybody want to enlighten me as I haven’t tried all of the map software only talked with a lot of Taiwan people about this.

I’m interested in this also. Actually I’d like to hear from anyone that has used one of these GPS add ons. I am seriously considering getting one to go with my IPAQ 5550 but am wondering if it would be better to upgrade and put the 3000-4000NT towards a new Pocket PC with an inbuilt GPS.

will papago work in the states and europe etc?

Check it out for yourself.

http://www.papago.com.tw/

I went to check out GPS today and they have BTC? leadtek, biotek or something…how are those brands? and another one global GPS at $6000 NT… BTC was like 1790, leadtek 2400, biotek 2400…how are those brands? I don’t know anything about GPS…but I didn’t see any holux…where can I get holux can someone give me an url or something…thanks

BTC has a low-end reputation, but GPS is not that hightech. Leadtek use to be good. Leadtek’s at least looked nice, but I don’t have any technical info. I am not familiar with Biotech. Keep looking for Holux. I found it at a second floor shop on the south side of BaDe Rd. at a shop that specializes in PDAs and GPS. Keep searching. The last time I was there, I found Holux in two different places. Go to the places that specialize in PDAs. GPS is very big in Taiwan lately and GPS is driving the PDA market as people try to save money by not buying the expensive navigation hardware that comes preinstalled in cars now as an option. I think that option costs US$2,000 at least.

very cool…thanks a lot…so keep looking for holux then?
you can use any different kind of nav software with any hardware right?
I am in kaohsiung any idea where I can find Holux?
thanks again

very cool…thanks a lot…so keep looking for holux then?
you can use any different kind of nav software with any hardware right?
I am in kaohsiung any idea where I can find Holux?
thanks again

Holux in Kaohsiung? Hmm, I have only been there a few times, but don’t they have a NOVA there? Try NOVA or 3C.

hmmmm if the laptop I get doesn’t have bluetooth…I can get like an adapter and use holux eh? will the adapter affect the reception in anyway

Yes, just get a USB Bluetooth dongle. They are all pretty much the same and should work the same. Maybe some have slightly more range than others.

Another good feature of the Holux is that it uses a Nokia Li-ion phone battery, a standard one that you can buy an extra one. Also you can recharge it by using the USB line that comes with it and plug it into your NB PC.

Also the Holus has readouts for the battery life remaining, the signal and bluetooth signal. Others don’t have all of this.

You can also connect the Holux to your notebook with out Bluetooth by using the USB cord that comes with it.

[quote=“ironfist”]does papago have English version

GR231 how much si that?

thanks a lot![/quote]

can be had on ebay for $90 n $22 shipping (US not NT )

how is polstar GPS? 1900 bucks
answer168.com/detail.asp?goo … &shop_id=0

the guy at store said the function is exactly same as holux gr232 and much cheaper…

actually it’s this one…

answer168.com/detail.asp?goo … &shop_id=0