Laptop or tablet? Pros and cons?

Hi there!

I’m currently trying to decide if I should go for a laptop or a tablet for Taiwan. I’m still in Canada, so I have plenty of options available, therefore I was wondering if I should buy here or wait to be in Taiwan.

I don’t play games on my desktop PC so it’s not something I need to do on a laptop. I will be using it mainly for skype, watching movies and tv shows downloaded from torrent sites (is that possible with a tablet? the torrents I mean) and surfing the web, writing on forums and stuff. The possibility of using Word, or a Word-like program would be nice on a tablet.

I’m interested in the Asus Memo Pad 10’’ tablet as I could get it for a special price of $250CAN tomorrow, but I’m wondering if there are some good apps for word processing, and if it’s possible to download torrents using a tablet. Could I use a regular keyboard with a tablet? Connect a portable HDD or flash drive? Technology is evolving so fast, different models offer different possibilities, I’m just trying to keep up hehe.

I guess I could always buy a laptop at the IT fair in Taipei at the end of the year if a tablet doesn’t work for me. What do you feel is best for a teacher in Taiwan, laptop or tablet, and why?

You have uTorrent for Android, so that’s fine. Using regular keyboards is out of the question. But you can use a bluetooth keyboard. External storage for tablets usually come in the form of SD or microSD cards, but you can also look for an ethernet-enabled HDD connected to your wifi router (I have a mybook from WD and works just fine).

Oh! Very nice. Didn’t know that existed (ethernet-enabled HDD). Thanks for that info!
The tablet I’m looking at has a sdhc-compatible microSD slot, so that should do the job.
uTorrent works too! great.

thank you sir!

Make sure your tablet can support remote HD video, too. HP will be rolling out their Wi-Di monitors soon and they have big plans for schools in Taiwan.
Walking around the class with your tablet and controlling a projector/screen without cables is awesome! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Novaspes”]Make sure your tablet can support remote HD video, too. HP will be rolling out their Wi-Di monitors soon and they have big plans for schools in Taiwan.
Walking around the class with your tablet and controlling a projector/screen without cables is awesome! ^_^[/quote]

Sounds interesting. What should I look for? Is it an Android app?

[quote=“Cinephile”][quote=“Novaspes”]Make sure your tablet can support remote HD video, too. HP will be rolling out their Wi-Di monitors soon and they have big plans for schools in Taiwan.
Walking around the class with your tablet and controlling a projector/screen without cables is awesome! ^_^[/quote]

Sounds interesting. What should I look for? Is it an Android app?[/quote]

It’s a protocol called Wi-Di afaik.