Large DVD File

Until I buy a DVD writer. How do I move a large 4GB file off my internal hard drive to an external hard drive. If I try to copy and past or anything like that (move to another folder) it says not enough free disk space. This is on a PC runnning XP. There is more than enough on the Internal Drive (12GB) and External Drive (35GB) available,

Your external drive is probably formated with FAT32 and not NTFS as your internal drive might be. FAT32 only supports file sizes of up to 1024MB, so 1GB. You probably either need to reformat your external drive, but then it might be incompatible with other OSses, or you can split your file. How, that depends on the file. If it is a video file, you should be able to do it with some tool, and still watch the video. If it is data, you probably need to use WinRAR or WinZip, but then you won’t be able to use it when it is on your external drive.

And what do M$ officals have to say to that:

“It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!!”

FAT32 supports file sizes up to 2^32 bytes - that’s 4GB, not 1GB.

But yeah, if the file is a little larger than 4GB, you’ll probably get that error.

FAT32 supports file sizes up to 2^32 bytes - that’s 4GB, not 1GB.

But yeah, if the file is a little larger than 4GB, you’ll probably get that error.[/quote]

Sorry my mistake, it might have been FAT16 then. .vob files on a DVD Video are typically split at 1024 MB.