Large Majority of Americans Want Voter ID Laws

I agree it may change the outcome of an election, but would it necessarily change the outcome of the general direction the country is heading?

I’m not sure, but I doubt it.

I definitely think poll test restricted voting would favor Democrats as well. Aren’t more educated people generally Democrats?

I’m not Republican, but I won’t ignore China’s rise based on their type of government. I think it shows that economic principles matter more than political ones.

Yes, control of congress and the the presidency change the ‘outcome of the general direction the country is heading’. I don’t know why you’d doubt that it seems obvious.

No it wouldn’t. The more people turn out, the more Democrats win. If the GOP thought they could win elections fair and square in a vote without suppression, they’d create an app to vote and have it ready in 5 seconds.

Generally but you’re talking about a country of 300 plus million people. Sometimes the Republican ones are smart, when they want that tax break.

I don’t think anyone is ignoring it. What do you do with it? Certainly not putting a poll test on voters lmao.

Make this the last message, I’m gonna read something else now.

It would vary widely by state, depending on who’s controlling the legislatures and writing the rules and tests.

There is another problem with this whole story about this Georgia law banning water at the polls.

It is a total and complete lie. The Washington Post and Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Rich McKay of Reuters are all lying. They are shameless, dishonest, racist liars.

Not only does the Republican law NOT ban providing water to voters at the polls, the law specifically states that elections officials may provide water as they see fit.

“This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer … from making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote,” reads the law.

In other words, Jim Crow laws have been resurrected to dehydrate “black voters” in Georgia.

Oh, and it’s no longer Democrats who are peddling the racist laws they peddled for more than a century. All of a sudden it’s Republicans pushing Jim Crow.

You mean…people…VOTERS…have to decide by themselves…when they are thristy…and then…GASP…self serve? Shocking.

1 Like

Most people have a social security card in the US, use that!

1 Like

That’s what I used the first time I voted.

1 Like

About twenty years I ago I watch an interview with a Republican member of Congress. The topic was voter ID and the need for a national ID card in the U.S. If every voting age American had an ID card then so many voting problems could be solved. Just like in Taiwan the ID card dictates WHERE you can vote and is the only ID needed to vote. There would be no need to purge voter rolls when someone does not vote as ID card should represent current address.

Of course, the member of Congress was completely against a national ID card. Usual arguments of too much government influence/control. But in the end he basically admitted that making voting easier would give too many people the incentive to vote which would be bad for America…since not everyone should be voting.

The situation has not changed. No ID cards…and still fighting for expanding voting rights through ease of use. Every state can make specific rules which hinder voting. For example, not everyone can use a social security card at the polls…need a photo ID. Just imagine the huge change in American with a national ID card.

I don’t know what specific articles that guy is railing about, as it’s not linked, but most articles I’ve seen correctly stated it bands handing out water.

And yes, limiting it to self serve water stations provided by election officials can be problematic - look, this is going to only affect long lines- nobody gives a fuck if you can’t hand out water to someone in a 5 min line. It’s when there are 8 hour lines like in last year’s primaries. And nobody plans on 8 hour lines, so there’s not water all along that line. So, IF there were self service water, now, what, you want people in line for 3 hours to step OUT OF LINE and go searching, maybe blocks for water, and hope they don’t have to go to the end of the line after getting water? This provision of the law is fucked.

1 Like

Maybe, however, if people can bring lawn chairs, they can bring water.

I think the issue is how to mitigate the long lines. Hopefully the other changes they made to early voting help.

1 Like

Who is against presenting IDs to vote now? We don’t need a national voting ID…any state or federal ID should work.

1 Like

isn’t the point of a representative democracy that everyone should be voting?

1 Like

From Powerline.org

Sure, they can. If they know the line is hours long. Notice all the people in your picture without chairs (that picture is apparently from Chattanooga TN, where the wait was “only” 1.5 hours btw).

They’re not designed to.

• it prohibits mobile voting locations, which seems specifically aimed at the voting busses that fulton county purchased to help with long lines.
  • It mandate early voting weekend days, which doesn’t help the more populated areas with long lines (they have those already) - it makes it even easier for republicans in rural counties though (which is not a bad thing - voting access is good. but this is aimed at expanding early access in certain areas).

For mail in voting:

• you have less time to request a ballot
  • have to complete the ballot earlier,
  • voter id requirement for requesting a ballot
  • blank applications for absentee ballots cannot be sent to voters unsolicited
  • groups are penalized for sending duplicate applications for ballots (total wtf right there - clearly designed to reduce turnout).
  • Ballot drop boxes are now limited in number by law, and the locations and hours are also more limited.

Military voters (seen as leaning republican) and overseas voters (neutral leaning) also get ranked choice voting, which is seen as a benefit to the republicans.

1 Like

Right, and if they can check it when you buy beer and smokes, they can check it when you vote. One citizen, one vote. Say NO to tomfuckery. :us:

3 Likes

It’s fun how you don’t provide the GA’s Gov’s reasoning…just what YOU see as problematic.

It’s like those Ah HA! moments that the CRT mob likes so much.

Here’s the guy right here:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?510309-1/governor-kemp-georgia-voting-elections-law

Why not just set it up to let people vote online?

1 Like

The governor that as SoS was largely accepted as overseeing a seriously fucked up purging of the rolls? Well, for one, the governor doesn’t write the law. For b, the governor is kind of a lying sack of shit. for iii, when he says he says it’s for security, it kind of rings hollow when there’s no real security issue with elections in georgia (as the same governor told you after the last elections). And some of the provision have absolutely no relation to security - i.e. limiting drop boxes to early voting locations does things like banning drop boxes from being in places like fire and police stations - not exactly an increase in security there. I also like that he mentions weekend voting, something the Republicans wanted to limit. So yeah, we won’t take his political statements at face value.

1 Like

My point is that if US had a national ID card…then everyone would have a photo ID for voting. Every resident would have ID card…even if no other form of photo ID (e.g. driver’s license).

Now many people want to emphasize that in a Republic the emphasis should be on protecting rights of certain groups versus the focus on all citizens voting.

I don’t believe that’s true. The HR1 bill is about expanding voter rights.

A national ID like Taiwan has is a good idea, I agree with you there. I also think voting should be compulsory