Laser Eye Surgery

If you don’t like surgery… wear glasses. Or does lasik surgery also improve one’s perspective?

Butcher boy - I can’t wear glasses. I do too many sports. I can’t wear contacts due of my hyper sensitive eyes, and I can’t wear contacts and continue with all my sports. Therefore LASIK is my reluctant option.

Dragon - I would wait 5 years, but I don’t think I can enjoy all those sports the same way again in 5 years. I’m actually making this choice because I’ve been wearing glasses since 3rd grade, and contacts since 12. I’ve never had the freedom to do what I want. And I understand your advice - waiting for improvements on surgery is a great idea. This is why I’ve waited for so long already and stuck with contacts. However, the longer I wait, the less need I will have for it. When I’m old and unable to be active anymore - who cares about contacts/glasses/lasik? I’ll be at home spending time with my kids.

Anyway, thanks for your information.

I called DA XUE today and they said they used the latest wavefront technolgy etc. Anyone been there and can confirm this? Do you look at a red dot still or not?

Sorry about getting a little off topic, but what sports are these? I’m a pretty athletic guy (always have been hope to always be) and, although glasses suck at times, I can’t imagine a sport where they’d hinder me enough for me to make such a statement, but on the other hand, I can always go back to wearing contacts if I wanted to and/or those sport glasses look pretty cool.

How strong your prescritpion was before LASIK? How much has it improved afterwards?

I heard that people with astigmatism or very strong prescription (e.g. -8.00, -9.00) weren’t good candidates for laser eye surgery. Is this sitll true?

Do most doctors NOT recommend this procedure for patients older than 40 (needing or going to need reading glasses)?

I had it done yesterday and i’m sat here typing this so it can’t be that bad!

painful for about 5/6 hours after, loads of tears but everything ok now. still a bit blurry but so far i’m very impressed.

will post again in a few days to keep you informed.

i had it done in Taichung. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I did racquetball, karate and judo wearing sportsglasses, which is even better than using contacts or no glasses, because they protect your eyes too.

There are several kinds. One is polyamid resin frames which are unbreakable and flexible, returning to their original shape after taking, say, a kick to the head. The lenses are unbreakable polycarbonate.

This

is what I wore for karate, judo and racquetball for about 8 years, with excellent performance. I would rather wear them (and regular glasses) than be 20/20 and go without, because I’ve taken a couple hits to the eye, as well as a rock thrown by a truck, right in the center of the eye, and I might actually be one-eyed right now if I hadn’t worn glasses.

gungfu.com/cart-htm/training … e_gear.htm
Not very fashionable, but if you hunt around, you’ll find improved versions; and I’ve heard some look really cool, although I’ve not yet seen them.

extremeeyewear.com/sport/index.html

the other is more fashionable for things like surfboarding:

shieldseyewear.com/sport_sunglasses.html

Thanks for the site! Interesting. But it says it no longer sells them. Do they fog up though when you’re running around and sweating? I practice Wushu so it’s not so much of a contact sport. I just have to be careful swinging my swords around. I tried it with my glasses last night and it just fogged up. So I thought lasik could fix this problem…

Besides, I live in Shanghai, China. I bet the ones they sell here are ten years old.

As for Lasik, they say you can’t get your eyes wet, right? So how do you shower? Or you just “bathe” and wipe around the eyes?

[quote=“Chun Li”] it says it no longer sells them. Do they fog up though when you’re running around and sweating? I practice Wushu so it’s not so much of a contact sport. I just have to be careful swinging my swords around. I tried it with my glasses last night and it just fogged up. So I thought lasik could fix this problem…
Besides, I live in Shanghai, China. I bet the ones they sell here are ten years old. [/quote]

First, there are many places selling them. Some are made in China, so have a look around. Contact a bunch of stores that sell eyeglasses, and places that have squash/racquetball, and you’ll probably find some.
Yes, they do sometimes fog up, but you can use some liquid to keep your glasses (either your current ones or sports glasses) from fogging.
Use Google
google.com/search?sourceid=n … fog+liquid
and you should find a lot.

The same products can be used on motorcycle helmet visors. Here are some reviews:
webbikeworld.com/r2/fogtech/
webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc … -anti-fog/
campinggurus.com/Anti-Fog-Kit-p-2263.html

I’m sure you can mail order some. Good luck!

Chun,

Since you mention you are into sports, you should be aware that you are strongly advised not to engage in contact sports for six months after lasik. The reason is that any blow to the head area, especially around the eyes can cause the flap to unseal and cause serious complications. So if you decide to go through with lasik, you will probably have to sit out for the next six months.

As for avoiding water, I was given a pair of goggles to wear when bathing for the first few weeks. After that you can bathe normally as long as you try to avoid water in the eyes, and you are supposed to avoid direct contact with water (swimming, etc.) for a couple of months. You are also supposed to avoid strenuous activity that can cause sweat to run into your eyes as well.

Also I’d like to suggest not giving up on contacts quite yet. I have a friend who also “couldn’t” wear contacts because of very sensitive eyes. He was finally able to find a pair that he was comfortable with after trying several kinds. It is one of the newer extended wear disposable kinds. You might want to try a few different kinds before giving up. I don’t know the situation in China but here and in the US eye doctors usually have a lot of sample pairs of the disposable contacts, so a good doctor will be happy to let you try out different kinds if you really have a problem.

I got laser surgery at Daxue Clinic about a year ago after recommendations on this thread.

I’d highly recommend it for anyone with simple near-sightedness. In this case the risks to your eyes are negligible. As long as you follow the doctor’s directions for protecting your eyes the month after surgery, you are taking about as much risk as walking across the street.

My eyesight now is pefect (better than 20/20). Much better than it was with glasses or contact lenses.

Go for it.

Brian

jlick - you guys are all so helpful here. =D Foreigners in Taiwan are so much more chill compared to those here in Shanghai.

Anyway, I have been wearing contacts and glasses for 15 years… frankly, I’m sick and tired of them. I’ve gotten eye infections from them (even after daily and strenuous cleaning) daily. And for me, I’d typically be wearing contacts for about 12 hours a day. I have cut down in recent years to maybe 6 a day, and then 2, and for the past 6 months, I wore it for 2 hours each on mon, wed, and sat during my wushu classes. Taking them on and off really irritates me, and I’ve started to “count” the hours I can wear them. If I wear it on the weekends, I bring the solution and contact lens cases to the clubs with me in my purse to take out in case my eyes feel irritated. I want freedom from this!!!

But I waited so long because I was scared, and from all the info you guys told me here, I don’t feel so apprehensive about it anymore – more excited!

I’m willing to give up martial arts for 6 months for this, I’ll just go to the gym and do some light workouts. And for what I do in wushu - I do straight sword form, so it’s not contact at all. I don’t fight anyone.

I don’t swim here in China because:

1. It’s China
  2. It’s China
  3. It’s China

If I go into the water, I’d come out with an extra arm and leg.
Well, maybe the toxins would correct my vision due to mutations, but who knows.

Bu Lai En - So you got it done at Da Xue? I heard that they are REALLY REALLY good. Even for prescribing you contacts and glasses. You love your new vision yeah? And the provide the goggles? I called and asked if they used Wavefront technology and they do! I’m so excited!

But what about looking at the computer? My job requires looking at the computer all the time but I guess I can just delegate my work. heehee.

[quote]Bu Lai En - So you got it done at Da Xue? I heard that they are REALLY REALLY good. Even for prescribing you contacts and glasses. You love your new vision yeah? And the provide the goggles? I called and asked if they used Wavefront technology and they do! I’m so excited!
.[/quote]

Yeah, they basically have all the newest machines. This might not sound like abig deal, but it minimises the risk of complications. Less time your eye is exposed to the laser - more precision cutting etc. The goggles I got were just a pair of clear and a pair of shaded sunglasses/goggles for wearing outside (for a month) so you don’t get dirt and water in your eyes. I didn’t get shower gogles. I just didn’t shower for a month.

I think if you’re careful it would be OK. The thing is for the firstweek or so, you should be varying your focus a lot. I took a week off the computer, becuae I didn’t have to use it. But you could use ti if you kepot looking away form the computer and taking breaks I guess.

Brian

That means you smell like the people in China.

What were the clear goggles for if they werent for showering?

Can anyone recomend a clinic in Kaohsiung? Really want to do it, but want to be sure of the clinic, like you’ve all said it’s your eyesight and well I’m scared, but really want to do it, but am scared, but really… :help:

BTW, how do you wash your face if you can’t get water in your eyes?

Earlier in this thread I mentioned cautionary notes from an eye surgeon friend of mine. Five years ago he had recommended waiting a few years before doing the laser eye surgery, as the machines, training and experience were constantly improving, and although already pretty good, not fully mature.

I saw him this morning and mentioned this thread to see if he had an up-to-date opinion, five years later. He said the technology is fully mature, and he no longer has any hesitations.

He recommends a lady doctor at Changgeng Hosp., which is on Dunhua (east side) just south of Minsheng. Her name is 蕭靜熙 Hsiao Chinghsi (Xiao1 Jing4xi1); she trained on this in the US, in SF, for several years, is experienced, and very cautious. He recommends her rather than the ones who run their own clinics, as the latter are more motivated to push you to get the procedure done and earn your money, whereas her motives remain truer and she is very conservative.

sorry to jump in. I remember reading articles before about tips to find good places. take a look.

you may also look into developmental and environmental optalmatry. aldus huxley was a big fan of the older one that’s now very controversial. i forgot which one is which.

There are books, audio programs, and lots of info about doing it. i’m gonna take a look soon, my sight is starting to change; i need to change it back and possibly make it better than it has ever been.

For those contemplating eye surgery, I do apologize for that avatar… :astonished:

I got it done!! and I love it! I can see I can see, and what a beeeeyyooooottiful world it is!!!11

MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I’m resting now so no chatting too long on the internet for me.
I went to Da Xue – pretty good. And good service, too. Lots of people though, seems a bit like herding cattle. however, the ladies do take you to a private room to discuss and answer all your questions and concerns.

Lasik, me love you long time.

Just curious what’s the current cost of Lasik? At DaXue?

60,000nt for the navisk machine, and 50,000nt for the older machine. You get 2000nt if you know someone whose got it done there.