Laser Eye Surgery

[quote=“AlexBlackman”]Quick update after a couple of check ups.

Good
The surgeon checked me personally each time and took the time to answer all my questions.
They drove me home again (it was free)
My vision is really good now. (way better then with my glasses, and halos aren’t a problem.)

Bad

• They charged for some of the additional medication, so far I’ve only paid about 500-1000NT$ extra but it is a tad cheeky

All in all, I would definately recomend Dr Yang at HsinHoMei, though again he should work on a better way to calm people then “don’t worry, this is extremely dangerous”[/quote]

He didnt want to get sued I guess , hence the ““this is extremely dangerous””. And its too late for worry as you are already there? :slight_smile:

edit to TELSA: Thanks for the excellent review of how it all feels and what its like. Hope it all works out for you on the right eye too.

Real scary I think.

This has been an extremely useful thread, and I’sure I’m not the only one to have proffited from it.

Had the surgery done at Hsin Ho Mei too, and I pretty much agree with all that was said about the place. (though they didn’t drive me home, I guess I live too far…)

My eyes are recovering fine and my only little problem is every time I get in the shower or go to bed I think “dang, I forgot to take off my glasses… oh wait, no more glasses!!” :discodance:

hi guys got an important question,I got a small hole/tear in my retina, doctor said I need laser to “weld” it up or it will lead to retina detachment, anyone know about this laser procedure what’s the success rate any chance of my eye going blind or anything? and how good are Taiwan’s doctors with this laser-retina thing? thanks guys

This thread has been extremely informative. Been thinkin bout gettin eye surgery for a while now. Was happy i could get some first hand information from ppl who have had it done. Great post by Truant, :notworthy: but that was a while ago now. I have one question if anyone can answer it would be appreciated; do I have to stop wearing my contacts for days or weeks before I even go in to the clinic to test if I’m a candidate or not, or can I just walk in? Bear in mind I wear my contacts everyday, for mostly all day.

Thanks for all this great info.
imma check a couple places out asap.

I went to a lasik place near zhongxiao-dunhua for an evaluation. they found a slight tear in my retina too, and recommended i get it lasered (to create scarring tissue that will strengthen the tissue wall).

I ended up doing it in Taiwan; as I recall, the chace of success is very high.

took me about 30 minutes for both eyes. blinding light in a kinda painful way, but very momentary. kinda scary, but you don’t really feel anything “physical” from the laser itself the pain is from the bright light (that the doc needs to use so he can see into your eyeball to direct the laser).

my eyes were dilated, had someone help take me home from the clinic, because eyes couldnt focus (from dilation not from the surgery). after a few hours, everything was OK.

it’s now been 3-4 years, i get it checked annually. no problems.

feel free to pm me.

apparently anyone who has myopia (wears glasses, near-sighted) has this chance as the eyeball elongates in shape. my eyes aren’t that extreme either - 500ish.

good luck.

very informative, thanksa lot

I’m thinking about getting this done in Taiwan as well, and wanted to ask a couple of questions:

• Is Daxue still the best place? Which others should I look into?
  • As I don’t live in Taiwan, how long do you think I will need physically in-country? I’m going to need to take vacation for this
  • What are the latest costs, and are there multiple-person discounts? (thinking of talking my brother into doing this with me)

Thanks!

Personally i don’t think da xue is the best place. I went there and they treated me as jus another number and there was no personal touch at all. I did mine at Hsin Ho Mei about 5 weeks ago, and my eyes are AMAZING. I did the iLasik where the make the cut using the laser. Still a bit of a halo at night, but I had larger pupils than normal and its to b expected with every proceedure. You would prob only need one day in the country. after 5 hours i could see fairly well, and jus had to use the drops, went out to eat and walked around no prob. They said 63,000 for Ilasik but this is taiwan so i bargained to 60,000. yea yeah. i asked about a second person discount and they only said 1,000nt, which is kinda low. Prices haven’t changed much the past 3 or 4 years. Good Luck

Very Informative Thread.

Thinking of getting Laser Eye Surgery done, anyone know of a place that does Lasek, not to keen on Lasik with the blade etc.

Hsin Ho Mei. But take the time to read this thread first

I had the LASIK eye surgery done 5 years ago here. It cost 35K and was discounted because I knew a guy. Overall, I have been extremely happy. I have noticed at times the vision is not as good as it was when I first had it done but I still do not need glasses. The surgery was easy and relatively painless. I took a day off work and after 2 days I was walking around with some cool sunglasses. I don’t regret it at all. :sunglasses:

Has anyone done PRK here in Taiwan? I’m concerned about LASIK due to boxing/diving. Or has anyone who is a boxer done LASIK?

Had z-Lasik done on December 2010 and it cost me 48k
eyedoctor.com.tw/EN/index.aspx
I did it at gongguan branch.

the whole procedure took prolly 30 minutes but the actual lasik prolly only a minute or two. didnt hurt at all when the laser hit your eyes, it hurt like hell soon after surgery(like, an hour after for couple hours, not straight afterwards). sorry not trying to scare you but they said some people do feel the pain, and some dont. it looked like i cried nonstop, the tears kept coming out until i slept at home and woke up couple hours after (they gave you like 6-8 drops to take home to relieve the pain).
soon after woke up, it was a whole new wonderful world!! no more pain or anything.
you have to wear your funny glasses and take extra careful when shower for a month long and that’s it. your vision recovers as time goes by, so its not 1.0 straight after lasik.

just to let people know, my myopia were -900 and -950 when they checked it (other places said my myopia were -1000 and -1200) and after surgery its like 0.9 and 0.8. even though not back to 1.0, overall im satisfied, its worth the price :smiley:
no more glasses or contacts, yayyy!!!

I just got offered LASIK (waveform) at the clinic in Taichung WuQuan rd for 45k. After reading the last post doesn’t seem so cheap. They said it’s a special offer this month (this being the penultimate week of April), so " very lucky"…
Busy place right now. Anyone here been there before?

I had my laser eye surgery about 10 years ago here in Taipei at the Universal Eye Center branch on Xin-Sheng S. Rd. My vision is still 20/20 and I’m still 100% satisfied. It wasn’t the cheapest option available at the time, but my advice when choosing a clinic is to forget about looking for a deal or special price. It’s your eyes. You only want to do this once.

yeah i was up for the most expensive - but there’s a deal goin’ on…

A close friend had PRK done at a smaller clinic recommended through her eye doctor, and although her recovery was significantly slower than regular-type Lasik, everything went smoothly and she now enjoys perfect vision. Inspired by her success, I and another friend went in for regular Lasik, which was offered to us at 35000, with an available 10k upgrade to Aspheric Lasik, which apparently results in better night vision. Given that I have large pupils, I opted for that option. Everything went smoothly, even though the first month was a pain, and now I see with anywhere between 1.2 to 1.4 vision, depending on how tired my eyes are. (~20/17 to 20/14.) FYI, my original prescription hovered around 400-500, with some astigmatism.

Now, life is wonderful, my vision is crystal-clear, and I just generally feel really great and confident. I’d recommend it - as a teacher of mine said, the main variable you should think about is how many times your doctor in question has performed the surgery, and since experienced doctors are out there, going under the knife in Taiwan can be about as safe as one can get anywhere else. (She continued by saying that, given that Lasik is far cheaper in Taiwan, from a supply/demand perspective, it makes sense that local doctors would have performed the surgery more than doctors in the West. I’ll let you analyze that on your own.)

As for price-checking, most places that I checked back in February offered basic Lasik for somewhere between 35 and 40k, so the prices above not only seem reasonable, but may even be fairly competitive for more expensive varieties. If anyone has more specific questions I can help answer, feel free to PM or just reply.

I had laser surgery last Friday in Minsheng Hospital in Taoyuan. I had originally gone to the Nobel clinic next to the Taipei Main Station, but the doctor there was too much of a salesman for my tastes. The hospital doctor was very polite. I did it very fast; I had the initial appointment on Wednesday and on Friday I had the surgery done.
Yesterday I went back and tested, and my vision is at 20/12 which is apparently really good. So I’m pretty satisfied so far.
The surgery cost me $50k, I could have gotten the cheaper one at $35k but I decided $15k was worth spending to at least feel a bit more secure about my eyesight…

I got laser eye surgery recently. I got the most expensive available because it offered better night vision. My myopia was not very bad before and my eyes were healthy, etc, so they said it could be made 20/20 after surgery. I didn’t ask for a figure and they didn’t tell me, but a day after the surgery I could read the bottom line on the eye test thing, no problem, so its better than when I had glasses. Also much less double vision, due to my astigmatism being much less hampered by glasses.
All that remains now is the lengthy recovery period which is really necessary, (I accidentally put pressure near my eye today (was tired) and it really hurt), if frustrating. Having to protect the eyes at night and during the day is annoying. Not watching TV is a refreshing change in my lifestyle but I really miss playing sports and want to get back into the gym/on the track asap. I guess that is a no go for 2 weeks at the very least.
My vision is not yet stable (takes a few months), and I am not yet used to being able to see anything if I so chose to focus on it. Indeed, I have to remember that the eyes are powerful tools to be used when willed. I used to zone out a lot, eyes open, looking but not seeing. Now I try to remember to close my eyes to rest them instead of staring. The psychological, habitual side of seeing requires some practice, in other words.

I dunno, trubadour. I think it is different for people, perhaps it’s how bad their vision was before? A day after I was back in the gym, pedaling. I’m told I can’t swim for a month, but I’ve been doing everything else for a long time.