Laser Eye Surgery

aahz: you may be right…always game for a week off, me… how about sweat getting in the eyes?

I was doing pretty light biking for the first two days, not sweating much, brushing the sweat constantly from my head with a towel. By day 3 it didn’t really seem to matter. I also kept my eyes closed the whole time while biking, probably helped…

my cousin’s husband had laser surgery 4 years ago. He says it worked good. I don’t need it because I got perfect vision already.

Does it work just as well with special educational needs?

Is there a list of places that perform the procedure I can talk to to get some more information? I live in Taichung but am wiling to go anywhere to get a legit Dr. to do it. Any price discount for having two people done?

An update on the reply PRK that I posted a few weeks ago. I got PRK (slower and more painful recovery than LASIK, but has its places) here at Nobel by Taipei Main . After the surgery, they supplied me with the weakest painkillers known to man, Panadol. My friends in the US, Canada and England that had PRK done were given percocet. With the mild pain killers, I experienced extreme eye pain for 3 days or so. Asking for better pain killers, I was given more panadol.

Anyway, aside from that, the experience was good. The doctor was skilled and I’ve had a pretty quick recovery for PRK. I was seeing great in a week. I still have some double vision, but it is almost gone. I was back to boxing in 2 weeks.

I write this waiting in the waiting area of the opticians which is attached to the LASIK surgery for my two weeks post op appointment. While the surgery and the pre operative experience was better here than at the place on WuQuan Rd, the post op care here (Blair’s Eye Clinic, BeiTun Rd) has been distinctly shabby. The surgeon who did the op has been unavailable since. They have not bothered to make follow up appointments. And when I have, they make me wait with the other customers and not up in the posh bit where the other LASIK patients get to hang. Not impressed, especially since I paid top whack. One’d expect a little after care service.

My own follow up experience is pretty good. I had the surgery a month ago. For the first week I was pretty complacent (like I said) and continued to exercise, but I made sure to put in the drops and stuff. My vision has stabilized about 20/15 (which is really good apparently) and I am very happy with it. I don’t have any real problems. The doctor said I could go swimming and I did so yesterday. The doctor was very polite and helpful, and pretty funny too, giving me comments like “Don’t ruin my perfect work!” and other amusing phrases. This was all in Taoyuan. It cost me 50k, though there was a cheaper option at 35k, I didn’t have any pain whatsoever besides the 20 minutes or so of having to keep my eyes staring hard while they were held in place. No pain the next few days. No pain now.
Only real complaint that I have is that the red spot in my left eye is noticeably still there. It is getting whiter but hasn’t gone away yet. I suspect it will take a few months to go away.

I was happy with the surgery and everything just the follow up care has not been great.
How’s your night vision? Mine’s is ok and getting better (halos are getting smaller). Doc said it will still take a couple of months more. I’ve a feeling my vision is pretty good but no numbers.

I just want to further disuade people from choosing Blair’s Eye Clinic, Beitun Road Taichung. The always are over full and book you in for appointments when the are never able to get to you at the time the booked it for. The waiting room is full of stupid people waiting far to long for their appointment. Just now they tried to charge me for a followup appointment. That took them twenty minutes! Terrible service!

quick follow up: my eyesight is perfect, the night vision is fine, I have no problems whatsoever. The red spot is gone and I can see perfectly without trying. I do notice things tend to be brighter than they were before and I have to start wearing sunglasses more often…

What do you mean by “fine”?

I have halo’s around every instance of light shining when surrounded by darkness. Especially, but not only at night.

They didn’t have LASIK when I got my eyes done - just PRK. About 16 or 17 years ago, in Jerusalem. Recovery was… interesting.

At the time, the success rate was 85%, and I think that I fell within the 15% failure category. My vision was less than 20/20, which I wasn’t happy with. But, I was VERY happy with the surgery as a whole.

It was the 3rd best thing that’s ever happened to me. (Before my wife came along, I would have said ‘2nd best’)

Just remember that procedures like this come with trade-offs. Your night vision might be affected. You might not see as well as you did with your glasses/contacts. You might see ‘halos’ (I do). AND, your vision might continue to naturally degrade over time so that you might eventually need to wear lightly corrected glasses (mine did).

If the possibility of all that is worth it to you, then go ahead.

I was glad that I took the leap.

Yeah, that’s cool and everything. Don’t get me wrong - it’s great not having to wear glasses and it is amazing to be able to see things from such a distance.

But I’m unimpressed by the effect light has on my vision. This is turning out to be a big deal for me.

In every instance where the light is bright, there is a halo. And a ‘halo’ sounds nice, right? Wrong! A ‘halo’ is like a grubby smudge between you and the light source. Like a little movable muslin net curtain.

Yes, they are infect your vision of bright lights, the traffic lights, the car lights, the streets lights at night. But also the moon. And in the day, the while lines on the road, the light shining in the window, the light from a movie.

Anywhere there is a significant contrast AND anywhere there is a reflective surface AND anywhere there is bright light my vision is blurred.

I was not under the impression my vision would be SO effected by all this light.

I am annoyed by the fact that I did not understand the effect light would have on my vision. But also that I was under the impression that if I payed a lot of money I would be able to avoid or reduce these significantly.

Thus far, at about a month and two weeks, I was wrong and it was I think foolish to think that just throwing money at something (yes, even ‘my eyes’) would make it ok. It hasn’t.

The people who talk about having very serious negotiations with their doctors and the clinics, trying out the competition, etc, they really do know what they are talking about.

But the people who talk about ‘halos’ effecting your night vision do not give a full enough picture. It is not just bright lights at night. It effects all light.

[quote=“trubadour”]Yeah, that’s cool and everything. Don’t get me wrong - it’s great not having to wear glasses and it is amazing to be able to see things from such a distance.

But I’m unimpressed by the effect light has on my vision. This is turning out to be a big deal for me.

In every instance where the light is bright, there is a halo. And a ‘halo’ sounds nice, right? Wring! A 'halo’is like a grubby smudge between you and the light source. Like a little movable muslin net curtain. Yes, they are infect your vision of bright lights, the traffic lights, the car lights, the streets lights at night. But also the moon. And in the day, the while lines on the road, the light shining in the window, the light from a movie.

Anywhere there is a significant contrast AND anywhere there is a reflective surface AND anywhere there is bright light my vision is blurred.

I was not under the impression my vision would be SO effected by all this light.

I am annoyed by the fact that I did not understand the effect light would have on my vision. But also that I was under the impression that if I payed a lot of money I would be able to avoid or reduce these significantly.

Thus far, at about a month and two weeks, I was wrong and it was I think foolish to think that just throwing money at something (yes, even ‘my eyes’) would make it ok. It hasn’t.

The people who talk about having very serious negotiations with their doctors and the clinics, trying out the competition, etc, they really do know what they are talking about.

But the people who talk about ‘halos’ effecting your night vision do not give a full enough picture. It is not just bright lights at night. It effects all light.[/quote]

It sounds like you had an especially bad experience. I’ve never heard anyone with that much trouble.

Which sucks, of course, because everyone will think that you’re just being hysterical.

Maybe, over time, the halos will reduce?

I seem to remember that the ‘halo effect’ reduced over time. I don’t even notice night-time halos anymore, unless I’m thinking about it.

Just trying to set the record straight! Future generations and all that :slight_smile:

[quote=“Got To Be Kidding”]
I seem to remember that the ‘halo effect’ reduced over time. I don’t even notice night-time halos anymore, unless I’m thinking about it.[/quote]

Well, this is, I suppose, typical. But just because you don’t notice it - doesn’t mean it’s not there.

I’m not being hysterical - I’m just trying to be clear and accurate.

Hi Trubadour

Just sending you a message of support. I also had a very long and protracted recovery from Lasik. What I can say is that it becomes a very serious worry given that so many people seem to have no problems and eyesight is such a serious thing. You’re suffering from an unavoidable and very serious concern about your eyesight.
It took about one year for ny eyes to finally get the starbursts to a level which was acceptable. During that time I was basically in panic mode that I had done irreperable damage to my eyes. Though now my eyes are almost perfect and there are days now that I am truly thankful of seeing clearly for miles, I honestly feel that the surgery was not worthwhile because it was not worth giving up one whole year of my life being stressed.

Thanks for sharing your experience, greenmark. It is GREAT to know that your eyesight has improved.

I’m sorry to hear that you were stressed out like that, (which I can totally understand - the thought that my eyes might be permanently like this is really very depressing).

I never really knew or understood that the recovery could take so long. I was expecting things to be what I paid for and expected when I was shown my options before the op.

I had PRK done in canada this year, still healing… I have learned alot about it out of obsessive interest and fear etc.
some thoughts

• parachutes and laser eye surgery are maybe the only things you dont go cheap on.
  • having said that, the higher your prescription (and thinner your eye tissue), the more “risky” this is… why? low prescription = low removal or lasik…
    high prescription means lasik is out, AND they start removing more and more eye… which does not growback… which means any accidents and/or shitty surgery cannot be “touched up” because theres no more take off (think bad nose job, fixed by three more nose jobs)… so the equation is how much eye you have, how much needs to be removed, and how well you follow the drugs regimen after surgery/avoid water/beatings/bungee jumping etc.
  • its not just an automated machine thing, there apparently IS some “skills” involved.

So if you have thick eyes, low scrip, you can go cheap, as you have a wide margain of safety for potential mistakes… thin eyes, high prescription= spend as much as you can because you only have one shot at it and youll never forgive yourself for being cheap, should it not work out well.

so yeah… spend the extra money.