Laser Eye Surgery

I’m slightly myopic, -1.25 in both eyes. This means that objects and text at distance are a little fuzzy. Am legally required to wear glasses for driving in the UK, and struggle with subtitles at a movie theatre. But in general, I only wear glasses when I really need to, and otherwise I’m pretty happy wandering around in my slightly blurred world.

I instantly dismiss the idea of eye surgery, I just don’t see that the benefits it might bring outweigh the (fairly small) risks involved. And there are risks, and these are my eyes that some stranger is operating on. They’re 2 rather important bodily organs.

I sometimes wonder where the tipping point would be. How much worse would my myopia have to be, before I’d decide to go for surgery. Perhaps there is no such point.

how good is the surgery/surgeons in Taiwan?

is there a stat for success/failure rate for this surgery?

a lot of people got side effects? or very small %?

is it -15 or -17 then they don’t recommend you to do lasik?

they still dont know the long term effect right? like in 30,40 years after the surgery right?

thanks

It is a cosmetic procedure, a big reason why we don’t see negative results published. The fact that pioneering surgeon in Taiwan has stopped doing the procedure because of his 10 blind patients (in 40s) should speak a lot (but obviously it didn’t in the papers).

I was thinking about going through it but then in any circumstance I would not like to end up blind because of a cosmetic procedure. If the problem is not extreme, better to stick with glasses.

Follow up: my vision is pretty good now. Distance focus is fine and i guess I’ve got used to the light-artifacts. Silly bloody decision, however.

I am heading to Taipei for holiday and was thinking to do my lasik there have search online and saw afew lasik but have very less information’s on the hospital lasik was wondering “Shin Kong Wu Ho-Su Memorial Hospital” or “信合美眼科診所” is better for lasik? As in Singapore normally we would do it in the hospital as they have better equipment but after all my search I realise in Taipei more people choose to go to eye clinic instead of hospital so I was wondering is it eye clinic in Taipei is better for lasik.

I wouldn’t recommend getting laser eye surgery done on a holiday. If you have any problems following the procedure, minor or otherwise, even a few months later, you’re shit out of luck back at home. I would stick with getting the procedure done where you live.

Do anyone have recommendations to eye surgery clinics that are still relevant today? I see a lot of suggestions here, but some posts are up to 10 years old

Names of clinics/chinese names so I can search and addresses are very much appreciated

What happened to the surgery where they cut your cornea and insert a lens? That way if there are any problems, they can simply remove the lens. I saw it on TV years ago, but I never hear about it now. Seems much better than laser surgery IMO.

Looking for recent accounts for LASIK in Taipei. I have read good things about Nobel Eye. I’m thinking about going to check them out. Anyone have any experiences with them? Or can reccomend a place? Thanks!