Last Great Asian Adventures

Mt. Everest was topped 50 years ago. Are there still great adventures in Asia? I believe there are. A combination of geography and politics has combined to keep a few great adventures alive into the 21st century.
Burma’s hinterland has been off limits for decades - thus hiding two great journeys; kayak/boat trips down the Irrawaddy and Salween Rivers.

What other adventures (apart from shagging Big Fluffy Mathew) await?

Burma looks like a good call for adventure. What about a Mekong River trip from the source to the ocean? Guess that has been done already? There are also some jungle trips in Borneo and some remote islands in Indonesia which seem adventurous. Xinjiang province and a trip to the Central Asian 'stans looks like an adventure. Bhutan?

Anyway, when you get back from your next adventure John, give me the head’s up on how to pick up the book.

Regards,
Hobart

Hobart wrote [quote]What about a Mekong River trip from the source to the ocean? [/quote]

Yes, that would be a decent trip. Like the Salween, the larger Mekong begins high up in Tibet. Off limits for the time being.

The Pamir Mountains offer plenty of virgin peaks. Bhutan would be good, too. The Indian North-east has been locked away for decades because of various insurgencies, and also offers some real “The Man Who Would Be King” adventures.

Moderators, some posts on this thread have been deleted!!! No explanation was given. Sure, the posts were bollocks, but you can’t go around chopping off a blokes bollocks.

[quote=“almas john”]
Moderators, some posts on this thread have been deleted!!! No explanation was given. Sure, the posts were bollocks, but you can’t go around chopping off a blokes bollocks.[/quote]

We didn’t delete anything. I’ll look into it. I know the posts were there, I got the email notifications. Sorry, guys! :frowning:

Iris

[quote=“almas john”]What other adventures (apart from shagging Big Fluffy Mathew) await?[/quote]Climbing Everest is safer, and bigger.
But like climbing Everest, it has to be tried at least once.

Perhaps in the future you could cycle Route # 1 of the proposed Asian Highway - Istanbul to Busan. Alternatively, a rail journey on the yet to be completed Trans-Asia Express, Singapore to Beijing, would also be interesting.
http://www.unescap.org/tctd/ah/introduct.htm

I’ve always thought it might be quite romantic to trek along the Tibetan Plateau (and thereabouts) from say the source of the Indus to the sources of the Ganges, the Bramaputra, the Mekong, the Yellow (Huanghe), and end up at the source of the Yangtze (Changjiang).

Sadly, I think I’m probably a bit too out of shape now for such an adventure.

[quote=“tigerman”]I’ve always thought it might be quite romantic to trek along the Tibetan Plateau (and thereabouts) from say the source of the Indus to the sources of the Ganges, the Bramaputra, the Mekong, the Yellow (Huanghe), and end up at the source of the Yangtze (Changjiang).

Sadly, I think I’m probably a bit too out of shape now for such an adventure.[/quote]

Especially since your backpack would weight about 300 pounds if you were to take adequate beer supplies of the trip.

The Last Great Asian Frontier: North Korea!!!

How about swimming across the Taiwan Strait? Or if you think that is too far you could swim from Taiwan to Penghu or Orchid Island.

Another good one would be to bag the highest peak in every Asian country. Some of them aren’t particularly high or difficult, but Everest, K2, and Puncak Jaya are all challenging enough. Paddling the length of the Indonesian Archipeligo in a sea kayak would also be an interesting one.

You can be the world’s very first person to either climb up the outside of Taipei 101 or parachute of the top of it.