Last minute sub requested her classes back

I was called in by a school to substitute two weeks worth of classes starting this Monday.
Today I was contacted by the sub teacher that was supposed to leave me her job and told me that she wants the position back because she has decided to stay ( she tells me one day before)
I normally would be ok with it if I had’t turned out numerous positions and spent time and money preparing for the class and went to interview at the school and went over all the material and met the kids.
I have now emailed the school but is holiday and i’m not really hopeful to receive any response till Monday.
I have also asked this girl multiple times to give me the contact of her superior so I can talk about it with someone that actually has a saying in all this but she has refused to connect us and said that the boss already made up her mind.
I have decided that if no one contacts me before Monday I will show up at the school anyways and take on my classes as planned.
She has told me multiple lies too when I told her I would still show up, such as: “ the location is not the one I showed you” “my phone is dying so I cannot send you her contacts “ and I texted her 20 min later and she responded, and she is still online now.
Is this the only way I can go about it? Or is there other ways?
Just wondering if anyone has any advices or has experienced similar situations.
Any advice is very much appreciated

It’s not your issue. It’s the school’s issue. Throw it back to them.

So I should show up for sure on monday? Maybe with the screenshots of the conversation I had with the other sub ( that sais she will also show up) or should I pretend no one told me? I mean technically no one employed to the school contacted me directly

No. You should contact the school. It is their problem and they need to deal with it.

I have but it’s holiday and no one will reply till Monday. And Monday I’m supposed to show up for work

That is not your problem. You send them an email telling them that they have double booked a teacher.

3 Likes

Um, Lilith, do you have a student work permit? (I assume you haven’t married Andrew yet.)

If not, I’m not sure why you think this teaching stuff is a good idea. :police_car: :frowning:

1 Like

Actually I have British passport. :slight_smile:

And who said I was teaching English anyways.

Most westerners coming here teach English, so call it an educated guess.

Your situation is what it is. Either she will win or you will win. Her advantage is the boss knows her well, and knows what to expect from her. He doesn’t know what to expect from you.
Your advantage is that hopefully the boss finds her flakey and unreliable for quitting and then trying to un-quit.

Let the best (probably English) teacher win!! :popcorn:

And you already signed a contract with the school (buxiban I assume) and got a work permit? Congratulations! :rainbow: :unicorn:

That means there’s no way any unhappy person can get you in trouble. And I’ll just leave it at that. :whistle:

Btw did Andy ever choose a favorite cat dude over in Cat of the Day?

First of all, nobody quit. It was a subbing job.
Secondly, when two Teachers are played against each other, non of them is winning or has a chance. Both are losers.

To the OP.
Show up on Monday and ask politely for a compensation.
If they hired you, they should not tell some teacher to fire you.
You can ask the teacher why he/she changed her mind about a 5 plus 14 days vacation.
My guess, he/she is afraid of you sending her a similar E-mail you got.

Nothing to win here.

A and B have a contract. C asks B to terminate the A-B contract. Does the A-B contract say anything about this? If not, C has no claim against B, and A has no valid reason to terminate its contract with B. If A terminates the contract anyway, B may claim compensation.

However, if A discovers that execution of the contract would involve both A and B breaking the law because of certain irregularities, it is difficult to see how B could claim compensation.

Of course, if A’s contract with C is equally problematic due to certain irregularities, A and C should both be concerned.

All of the above is hypothetical. :neutral_face:

1 Like

If A and B were breaking the law, C did break the law twice.

Besides, B is citizen of the great empire.:grin:

I’m not doubting that part. But a British passport won’t stop a bullet, so to speak.

If OP holds a so called working holiday visa with her British passport, there is no problem of the work permit.

2 Likes

Leave it. The most you’ll get is an apology. If you don’t have proper authorisation to work in Taiwan, you have very little recourse.

1 Like

So what happened?

1 Like