Late apex cornering

[quote=“Mordeth”]
The eye has two different types of receptors that it uses for seeing…[/quote]Thanks man. I was afraid of going (further) off (topic) on the rods and cones tangent for fear of being thought a blowhard know-it-all (again)! :notworthy:

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Mordeth”]
The eye has two different types of receptors that it uses for seeing…[/quote]Thanks man. I was afraid of going (further) off (topic) on the rods and cones tangent for fear of being thought a blowhard know-it-all (again)! :notworthy:[/quote]

I thought they were called rods and cones…but I feared I was mis-remembering. Cool. I remember that one of them runs horizontal and the other vertical. Any idea which is which?

No, they both run in the same direction, but there are more cones in the middle of the retina and more rods in the periphery. The cones are good at color and acuity, the rods are more sensitive so they do more in low light situations.

Damn know-it-all… :slight_smile:

To get back on topic the rods and cones will both be equally splattered when they meet the front of a gravel truck driven by some maniac on the wrong side of the road.

[quote=“Ironman”]1. I think the OP really just means you stay off the brakes as long as possible then go on them really hard…[/quote]I think it’s mostly about the line, not about late, heavy braking. Another bit of the article reads:[quote]THE PACE

… The Pace focuses on bike control and de-emphasizes outright speed. Full-throttle acceleration and last minute braking aren’t part of the program, effectively eliminating the two most common single-bike accident scenarios in sport riding. Cornering momentum is the name of the game, stressing strong, forceful inputs at the handlebar to place the bike correctly at the entrance of the turn and get it flicked in with little wasted time and distance. Since the throttle wasn’t slammed open at the exit of the last corner, the next corner doesn’t require much, if any, braking. It isn’t uncommon to ride with our group and not see a brake light flash all morning.[/quote]
Still, it goes on to say:[quote]… If the brakes are required, the front lever gets squeezed smoothly, quickly and with a good deal of force to set entrance speed in minimum time. Running in on the brakes is tantamount to running off the road, a confession that you’re pushing too hard and not getting your entrance speed set early enough because you stayed on the gas too long. Running The Pace decreases your reliance on the throttle and brakes, the two easiest controls to abuse, and hones your ability to judge cornering speed, which is the most thrilling aspect of performance street riding. [/quote]A little contradictory perhaps. But I think I see the general point.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Mordeth”]
The eye has two different types of receptors that it uses for seeing…[/quote]Thanks man. I was afraid of going (further) off (topic) on the rods and cones tangent for fear of being thought a blowhard know-it-all (again)! :notworthy:[/quote]Post away! You do pretty much know it all, anyway. Not like the vroom, vroom mod who had to ask his new co-mod “What exactly is a top end, then?” :blush:

Yeah, okay. I was trying to inject a little excitement into this style.

Why don’t they just put the bikes on a truck and all sit on them and ride around so they can chat. That way they’d at least be a little entertained.