Late Child Support

My wife receives child support payments from her Taiwanese ex-husband. I dislike her ex’s family, who come across as racist bigots.

Recently, her ex has been making late payments and not paying my wife the full amount. Considering they own restaurants, I find this hard to believe. While this doesn’t hurt us financially, I’d really like to play some hardball with these bigots. There is a joint custody agreement for the kids. We take care of them on weekdays, and they leave for the ex’s on weekends.

While I would never want to take visitation rights away from her ex, is there any penalties he can get for being late with these payments?

What are my wife’s options here? (although I am certain she won’t listen to my suggestions for confontation :smiling_imp: ).

Edit, since Chewy left me hanging with me balls swinging in the breeze. Child support. Not alimony. OK. :wink:

My mistake…I meant to say child support payments…The bastards have only gave us partial payments for some time and the my wife’s ex mother in law has a big mouth. I would like to teach her a lesson.

can’t you go the government and show them the payments - there must be a family affairs (FA) department who can look into it…

in my country we can have the FA to collect the child support from the ex/father if he fails to pay the minimum of the support amount.

Not a good situation. I empathize with you Chewy. But, if you play hardball re the support payments, won’t he play hardball with the kids on the weekends? If the payments continue to arrive, albeit slightly late, are only slightly short, and the money isn’t an issue to you, is it really worth it to anger him? What do you realistically stand to gain? What are the odds he’ll retaliate on the kids? Do a cost/benefit analysis.

This is a tough one. I grew up in a single parent family where my brother and I would have greatly benefited from child support payments. What ex’s usually fail to realize is that that money is used for things like rent, electricity, food… things kids need. Most view childsupport as going directly to their Ex.

My dad NEVER paid. He would only pay after my mom would drag him to court. They’ve been divorced almost 20 years and for 17 they still went back and forth to court over child support. Insanly high legal bills.

It can get ugly and even uglier if the kids are told what their dad isn’t doing.

Why doesn’t she get a lawyer and have a lein put on his restaurants? have his wages garnished? I’m sure there are ways here in Taiwan like there are in the West. Most can’t get away with not paying now… I think in California they’ll take away your driver’s license. Maybe that’s New Hampshire. Anyway… there is a state that takes paying child support seriously.

I guess it all depends how much and how long of a battle your wife is willing to fight.

He won’t retaliate with the kids…he is actually a good guy,although he mentioned he would prefer that the kids live with him know that mommy married a foreigner. It is his parents that seem to be xenophobic and nasty…he works his ass off to pay the cash, but his extended family is wealthy so they are the ones always plotting …I would like to show them that paying late won’t look good if they try any future power plays.

I used the “loss of face” method to ensure that the money was sent on time from now on.

I taught the kids a new English word –“deadbeat dad.”

Every week the kids tell him the new English words they learn. While they didn’t see the connection, he sure did.

The money was deposited two days later :smiling_imp:

[quote]Every week the kids tell him the new English words they learn. While they didn’t see the connection, he sure did.

The money was deposited two days later [/quote]

:laughing: :bravo:
Well done!

HG

[quote=“Chewycorns”]I used the “loss of face” method to ensure that the money was sent on time from now on.

I taught the kids a new English word –“deadbeat dad.”

Every week the kids tell him the new English words they learn. While they didn’t see the connection, he sure did.

The money was deposited two days later :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Somebody please make this a classic post… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: