Late Night Hot Spots

Dear Abby,

Was out Friday night with a group of friends. The KTV phase was over (thank God) by about 2:30, and the girls were ready to. We went to Carnegie’s, thinking bartop dancing would be stimulating. Pretty much dead. I remembered somebody mentioning to me that Spin is good late at night. Mistaken I was; it had maybe 30 people in it at 3 am. We gave up.

Where should I have gone on a Saturday night at 3 am for a great musical/dancing atmosphere?

I’ve been to the Roxy 99 sister club once, but I forgot what it is called, and where it is. Was that where we should have gone?

yo tomas,

you might have to factor in the SARS thing that has reportedly been keeping people away from the clubs. i went to plush about a month ago and had a SPENDIFEROUS time…(btw, if you want a good place to go on a saturday night that is live and active, though pretty darn expensive, i’d go there)…but i’ve a friend who said she went last week and it was nearly empty…dunno…that might have affected why you couldn’t find any hot spots then.

you also might want to try room 18 near warner village…once again, kinda pricey, and it is kinda filled with those gold-diggers you were wary of…but aside from that the atmosphere is good.

Is TeXound still open? People didn’t even used to start turning up until 3, it was still pumping at 6 and stayed open til 8. Oh, I had some good time there. Oonce oonce oonce.

Brian

[quote=“embryopoet”]yo tomas,

you might have to factor in the SARS thing that has reportedly been keeping people away from the clubs. i went to plush about a month ago and had a SPENDIFEROUS time…(btw, if you want a good place to go on a saturday night that is live and active, though pretty darn expensive, I’d go there)…but I’ve a friend who said she went last week and it was nearly empty…dunno…that might have affected why you couldn’t find any hot spots then.

you also might want to try room 18 near warner village…once again, kinda pricey, and it is kinda filled with those gold-diggers you were wary of…but aside from that the atmosphere is good.[/quote]

Yes, I’ve also heard that SARS is keeping people away. I’ve been somewhat out of the scene for a while, which makes it tough to judge. I know about Plush–give it a thumbs up if going with a date or a group. Room 18 did not impress me. Too many people with noses raised high in the air.

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]Is TeXound still open? People didn’t even used to start turning up until 3, it was still pumping at 6 and stayed open til 8. Oh, I had some good time there. Oonce oonce oonce.

Brian[/quote]

Where was this place? I’ll check it out and report back if you give me the general location.

Never heard of it till now.

[quote]Sir Donald Bradman wrote:
Is TeXound still open? People didn’t even used to start turning up until 3, it was still pumping at 6 and stayed open til 8. Oh, I had some good time there. Oonce oonce oonce.

Brian

Where was this place? I’ll check it out and report back if you give me the general location.

Never heard of it till now.[/quote]

It used to be on Nanjing E Rd, but it moved (to somewhere close) and I neer went to the new one. To tell you the truth it closed and reopend so many times (shootings, police pressure, too many drug busts etc) that I’ve lost tracj of whether it’s open or not. I’ll try and find out.

Brian[/quote]

Texound’s official address is
B1, No 217, Nanjing E Rd Sec 3
but if that’s where it was when I once attended a movie launch there a year ago, it should be more complicated than it sounds.
It’s on the stretch of Nanjing between the Westin and Fuhsing North. You turn into the alley closest to Fuhsing (on the north side of Nanjing, i.e. the same side as CAL and the Westin) and then turn left on to a car park. You walk ahead until you see a sign of life on the motorcycle parking lot on your left, because that’s where the door to Texound is.
So, if you’re still with me, you won’t find any trace of Texound on Nanjing E Road itself, because the entrance is at the back.

I don’t know what the mood of the place is these days, since I haven’t been there for a long time. But they still exist, since Tower Records has posters up for a performance there this coming Friday at 11pm by DJ Tom Stephan aka Superchumbo.
Haven’t bought my tickets yet because I still expect the bloke to be scared off by SARS and cancel the do!

When I started going to TeXound the mood was ‘gangster’. Lots of gorgeous women, but you’d be a fool to try and pcik them up (or respond to their advances). The mood increasingly changed towards ‘high’ and ‘lovey’ for reasons I’m sure you can guess. Then it changed to vry gay, with loads of guys with their shirts off high and rubby on the dance floor. Still a lot of fun and still a lot of gangsters. I remember one of the first times we went there and I went to sit down in an empty chair (surroundedby empty chairs and tables). My Taiwanese friend rushed over and said “don’t sit there - those seats are for gangsters”. Anyway, unlike how Spin (which was full of wannabe smalltime gangsters) used to be, they leave you alone. (Unless you do what my old roommate did and get very drunk and go charging thorugh the gangster booths trying to drink with triad bosses - he didnt’ get stabbed too bad).

Brian

I’ve only been to Texound once, but came to the conclusion that females wearing stiletto shoes should not be allowed even a nibble of illegal substances.

well, this place sounds interesting enough to check out…i think i’ll go this weekend to check it out…

i’ll report back with observations

I’ve been there lots of times. But the last time i was there the cops turned up, shut the place down for an hour, did the ID checks etc … but what pissed me off most was that the cops had TV “news” crews tagging along with them shoving their TV cameras in people’s faces. That’s not the way I want to spend a Fri or Sat night.

I was there 2 weekends ago. It’s still around. I think it’s bit of a gay bar. But, a cool place to go after everything else shuts down. It was pretty empty thought at about 6am. But, the beat was still on…

It’s a techno club. If you like techno, go. If you don’t, don’t go.

Simple enough.

[quote=“mmmmichael”]It’s a techno club. If you like techno, go. If you don’t, don’t go.

Simple enough.[/quote]

I don’t think anybody here is arguing over what kind of music is played at Texound (having at least a cursory glance at the preceding posts before you started hammering the keyboard would have told you that). What I, and i assume other posters who haven’t been there for a while would like to know is: What’s it like these days? :unamused: