Latest APRC requirements?

Having happily spent the past 7 years in Taiwan, never less than 200 days per year, and intending to go on doing so, I would like to apply for APRC.

I have been looking for the latest APRC requirement on the internet, but found somehow inconsistent data…
Most places mention “N1 years of legal residency with at least N2 days per year of physical presence”… But I found every possible combinations of N1=5 or 7, and N2=183 or 270…

Before I take 1/2 a day off and go and visit my local police station, can anyone give me the latest status ?

In some cases, I would qualify, in others I wouldn’t, and in one case, I have already passed the qualifying period !

Help !..

is it N1=5 and N2=183 if you’re married to a Taiwan national ? and 7 and 270 otherwise ?

I’ve been living in Taiwan for over 300 days a years for the past 8 years married to a Taiwan national and I can’t get a APRC…

[quote=“matthew”]I’ve been living in Taiwan for over 300 days a years for the past 8 years married to a Taiwan national and I can’t get a APRC…
[/quote]

Why not?

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“matthew”]I’ve been living in Taiwan for over 300 days a years for the past 8 years married to a Taiwan national and I can’t get a APRC…
[/quote]

Why not?[/quote]
Been here too long.
You have to apply within 2 years of being eligable.

Shit! No-one told me that. That means I’m ineligible too. FUCKING Taiwanese FUCKWITS.
None of the info I’ve seen from Hartzell has mentioned that – it should be up there in BIG LETTERS.

[quote=“sandman”]Shit! No-one told me that. That means I’m ineligible too. FUCKING Taiwanese FUCKWITS.
None of the info I’ve seen from Hartzell has mentioned that – it should be up there in BIG LETTERS.[/quote]
Yes it should, but it is hidden at the bottom this page in little letters
tcpd.gov.tw/tcpd_english/all … 5&t_type=d

Well, that’s me well and truly fucked. What a great fucking Monday this turned out to be.

Not necessarily Sandman. You have to apply within 2 years of meeting the requirements right? Well on of those requirements is financial. Maybe you haven’t met the financial requirements yet (or could somehow ‘rpove’ that you haven’t)?

Brian

I didn’t realise that you need to resie here for 183 per year after you get the thing! I’ll be in no hurry either.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“matthew”]I’ve been living in Taiwan for over 300 days a years for the past 8 years married to a Taiwan national and I can’t get a APRC…
[/quote]

Why not?[/quote]
Been here too long.
You have to apply within 2 years of being eligable.[/quote]

You’ll have to hope that Hartzell is able to respond to this question, but I’m very sure that I’ve read his comments on this very issue before. There is a limit of two years, but that’s for people who no longer qualify for the APRC. In other words, if for some reason you were no longer qualified for the APRC (such as getting a divorce), then you’d have two years to file for your APRC.

In your case, Matthew, you should be fine because you are still elligible for the APRC through your marriage (or even without your marriage for that matter). My advice is to be in contact with Hartzell. The information I posted may not be 100% correct, but I’m very sure that you should still be able to get your APRC.

I wonder what are the real advantages of PARC over a normal ARC, especially if you’re married to a Taiwanese national. You have unlimited work rights anyway on a normal ARC, and you don’t have to maintain your 183 days to keep an ARC, while they require that for a PARC from what I read?

I’m po’d too, left Taiwan six months short of 7 years on ARC and now have to start over again from scratch. Is that stupid or what. Even the US allows those on green cards or applying for them to come and go, and ofc course US green card holders need only touch US soil once every six months. They can get on the next plane out for all anyone cares. Pretty sweet deal for Taiwanese in the US – how about some reciprocity??

[quote=“scomargo”]You’ll have to hope that Hartzell is able to respond to this question, but I’m very sure that I’ve read his comments on this very issue before. There is a limit of two years, but that’s for people who no longer qualify for the APRC. In other words, if for some reason you were no longer qualified for the APRC (such as getting a divorce), then you’d have two years to file for your APRC.

In your case, Matthew, you should be fine because you are still elligible for the APRC through your marriage (or even without your marriage for that matter). My advice is to be in contact with Hartzell. The information I posted may not be 100% correct, but I’m very sure that you should still be able to get your APRC.[/quote]
That website says “two years after qualifying as a permanent alien resident according to the Immigration Law.” which to me suggests 2 years from when you start qualifying, not 2 years from when you finish qualifying. Not that is really matters, I can’t see how I can get all that paper work done at the same time so it all stays valid from the other side of the world anyway.

Ironlady, I asked that same question in this thread:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=3897

The permanent residency card is pretty much insurance against divorce or the death of your spouse.

Actually, Sandman, you have been involved in this discussion before regarding elligibility for permanent residency.

See this thread, especially the reply by Hartzell near the bottom:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=3797

Gee, am I the only one who knows how to use the search function? :wink:

[quote=“scomargo”]Gee, am I the only one who knows how to use the search function? :wink:[/quote]I can usually remember if something has been mentioned, then use the search to find it. I didn’t remember this being mentioned. And look at the other thread to see who was grateful for the clarification, and then surprised again by the same news :unamused:
Have some guanxi for clearing that up.

Matthew, thanks a bunch for the guanxi. It’s nice to know my searching is appreciated. :slight_smile:

Actually, I think that whole thread took place before you even registered as a member here, so it’s no wonder that you don’t remember it.

[quote=“scomargo”]Actually, I think that whole thread took place before you even registered as a member here, so it’s no wonder that you don’t remember it.[/quote]That’s no excuse, I’m Matthew Lien, I’m omnipotent and all knowing, I talk to wolves.
BWAAAaahaha…
:smiling_imp:

Does the 183 days have to be consequetive, or can one come and go, but be here for that many days in total?

The whole thing is no big boon for foreigners anyway unless you DO plan to stay here for ten years without leaving much. YOu’re 100%right ironlady, how dare they go on about “recipricocity” when they’re so fuckin two faced. I know plenty of Taiwanese who pop into the US once a year to keep their greencard status.
:frowning:

[quote=“Alien”]Does the 183 days have to be consequetive, or can one come and go, but be here for that many days in total?[/quote]183 days in total.

I just got my APRC and one thing they needed that was not on the list was a letter from your employer saying you are currently employed by them. Other problems I had was the police said the chop on my tax statements from the last three years (and I quote) was “not pretty enough” but they accepted them when we told them they could nab me for document fraud if they were fake. I am going to have a party for this milestone soon and get ironlady drunk on champagne.

After you get the APRC, there are exceptions to the 183 days limit, such as education, medical, etc.