Laura Bush -- weirdo liar

[quote]About three months ago, First Lady Laura Bush, in a speech to the National Book Festival, told a charming anecdote about her husband. Here, according to the White House website, is what she had to say:

"We delight in great works of literature and especially in the works of budding new artists. President Bush is a great leader and husband – but I bet you didn’t know, he is also quite the poet. Upon returning home last night from my long trip [to Europe], I found a lovely poem waiting for me. Normally, I wouldn’t share something so personal, but since we’re celebrating great writers, I can’t resist:

[i]Dear Laura,

Roses are red,
violets are blue
oh my lump in the bed,
how I’ve missed you.
Roses are redder,
bluer am I
seeing you kissed
by that charming French guy.
The dogs and the cat
they miss you too,
Barney’s still mad you dropped him,
he ate your shoe.
The distance my dear
has been such a barrier,
next time you want an adventure,
just land on a carrier. [/i]

It was such an awful poem that it actually rang true, and therefore kinda treacly sweet.

Now it turns out that this was a bizarre falsehood. A lie. Interviewed on “Meet the Press” over the weekend, Laura Bush was shown the video clip of her remarks – in one of those let-our-hair-down moments the television journalists so love. Anchor Tim Russert teasingly turned to Mrs. Bush for comment:

MR. RUSSERT: Now, who could have written that poem, huh? I mean, what …

MRS. BUSH: Well, of course, he didn’t really write the poem. But a lot of people really believed that he did. That evening at the dinner, what some woman from across the table said: “You just don’t know how great it is to have a husband who would write a poem for you.”

Gee, I wonder if some people really believed that George Bush wrote that silly poem because Laura Bush said: Hey, my husband wrote me this silly poem, and normally I wouldn’t share it because it’s so personal, but I can’t resist.

This hardly qualifies as “an outrage.” It’s more just weird. Think about it. If George Bush didn’t write that poem – who did?

Did they do some focus group of how a significant percentage of women around America would find a bit of POTUS doggerel wistful and sweet? Did the White House’s crack political team than assign some poor junior staffer the miserable job of ghosting it? Did he start by interviewing Mrs. Bush about pet names and pillow talk (she confirmed for Russert that her husband has indeed called her his “lump in the bed”)? Is there a file somewhere labeled SENTIMENTAL SWING-VOTER CHICKS of the early drafts?

Now that you know Bush didn’t write it, look at the poem again. Can’t you just hear some crapulous Republican operative in a rumpled suit croaking instructions? “Make sure you get their damned mutt Barney into it, those soccer dames love the dogs. But if there’s gonna be a dog, you gotta mention the cat! Everybody knows that, kid! Put in some vague bedroom imagery – somethin’ about the bed. Nothing too explicit! And, uh, get in a slap at the French – that French-bashing stuff is really going over well. Something about how they’re so prissy, kissin’ hands and all …”

So who wrote George Bush’s love poem to Laura Bush?

I suspect we’ll just have to add it to all of the other mysteries – like who lied in George Bush’s State of the Union speech, and who had manual-labor-like relations with that doggoned “Mission Accomplished” banner, and which jerk at the White House unmasked a CIA agent to punish her husband, and why lie to Ground Zero rescue and cleanup workers, and how the President’s brother got all that free sex and money when visiting Asia …
[/quote]
:unamused:

thenation.com/outrage/index.mhtml?bid=6

How could he write a poem? The guy can’t even read.

Why is the picture on the back of Bush’s book different from the one on the kid’s book ?
snopes.com/photos/bushbook.asp

How many politicans write their own speeches anyway ?

Rascal, speaking in a Tigerman-kind-of voice, says she didn’t lie. Nowhere does she say that Bush wrote the poem she found, that’s your interpretation only. If you still don’t believe it read the ******* UN resolutions.

Sorry, couldn’t resist … :wink: :smiley:

Rascal, speaking in a Tigerman-kind-of voice, says she didn’t lie. Nowhere does she say that Bush wrote the poem she found, that’s your interpretation only. If you still don’t believe it read the ******* UN resolutions.

Sorry, couldn’t resist … :wink: :smiley:[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Well, she impliiiiiiiiiiied it was from lil’ George. That’s the same thing, Rascal!

Any WMDs under the covers, dahling?
Not yet, dear. But it’d be mighty nice.

[quote=“Alien”]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Well, she impliiiiiiiiiiied it was from lil’ George. That’s the same thing, Rascal![/quote]

Sure - badly misfiring spin - maybe even a poor attempt at humour. Makes everyone look like a pratt. But not uncommon, regardless of political parties… is it anymore fake than Hillary holding hands with Bill, all gooey-eyed, after the Jennifer Flowers incident…

or am I getting confused with “Wag the Dog”…?

The point you are making is one about presidents and the media, isn’t it? Not a partsan one, right?

IYBF you have an interesting double standard when it comes to bullshit. I guess that makes the crap easier to swallow.

I like the part in that article about some crapulous republican operative in a rumpled suit dishing up the goodies to be included in that feast of US media crap. I hope it tasted sweet to all you home boys on the way down.

I’m reminded of a story by Peter Arnett years ago on CNN before he jumped the shark, when he was reporting in Iraq and he said of the missiles flying over Bahgdad, “It’s like a fourth of July fireworks display out here!” And I must admit it did look a little like that with all the tracers and explosions going off. But you can just imagine that same crapulous republican in a starched military uniform saying “Oh tell’em it’s like a fireworks display, will ya?!”

In what way? You may be right, of course, but you don’t say.

If it wasn’t clear from my post, what i was saying is that both parties engage in this spin. And it is ridiculous. Its all done to show that the president and First lady are a good American family. is it any the worse when Laura Bush reads a fake poem or when hillary bites her tongue to do her Tammy Wynette routine

(Can you sing and bite your tongue at the same time?)

I thought the Wag the Dog film was pretty good - preachingly enjoyable and a great part played by Dustin Hoffman.

Can’t wait for the prsidential race and the traditional "Cookie bake-off between Mrs Bush and Mrs Dean

Tell Laura I Love Her
( Ray Peterson )

Laura and Tommy were lovers
He wanted to give her everything
Flowers, presents,
But most of all, a wedding ring

He saw a sign for a stock car race
A thousand dollar prize it read
He couldn’t get Laura on the phone
So to her mother, Tommy said

Tell Laura I love her
Tell Laura I need her
Tell Laura I may be late
I’ve something to do, that cannot wait

He drove his car to the racing grounds
He was the youngest driver there
The crowed roared as they started the race
Around the track they drove at a deadly pace

No one knows what happened that day
Or how his car overturned in flames
But as they pulled him from the twisted wreck
With his dying breath, they heard him say

Tell Laura I love her
Tell Laura I need her
Tell Laura not to cry
My love for her will never die

Now in the chapel where Laura prays
For her poor Tommy, who passed away
It was just for Laura he lived and died
Alone in the chapel she can hear him cry

Tell Laura I love her
Tell Laura I need her
Tell Laura not to cry

Tell Laura I love her
Tell Laura I need her
Tell Laura not to cry

I’m far too talentless to undertake a rewrite of this song for the Bushes. Anyone dare give it a try?

IYBF -you wouldn’t let me get away with much, but when it came to Bush you’re right ready with excuses at hand. It’s all part of the Bush lies for Washington campaign. What it really is is just another pathetic episode of Bush in the white house.

Let’s hope tell Laura I love her is what George is singing when he crashes and burns in November.

Alien,

Remember, Laura and George are Texans and Texans really only know how to hunt things down and kill them. Asking them to be articulate or literate might be a bit much. :laughing:

Actually, I think I said: “makes everyone look like a pratt.”

That would include laura, georgie, and that Rove feller. my comments were simply to say its no worse than what went on in previous administrations.

This kind of spin is ludicrous, whatever the politician.

That’s no double standard.

Now for a confession - for the past three or four weeks I have actually been watching Fox News in the morning. This will be a huge ego-polish for those of you who have branded me as a Bush baby. I have to admit, grudgingly, that its quite fun… perfect for 7.00 a.m.

But its not exactly balanced, I’ll admit.

But occaisionally, as in any one-sided presentation, they do have a point. Now, what was exercising the veins in Brit Hume’s forehead this morning? Hillary’s comments about ghandi running a gas station! Apparently an attempt at humour “gone wrong.”

I accept her statement that it was a poor attempt at a joke. Nevertheless, I regard this an an equally absurd thing to what laura bush said.

I’ve been fairly even handed, Fox, would you like to employ the same colourful rhetoric you use for Bush and state that hillary’s comments are part of the “Clinton slanders for white house campaign?”

[quote=“Durins Bane”]Alien,

Remember, Laura and George are Texans and Texans really only know how to hunt things down and kill them. Asking them to be articulate or literate might be a bit much. :laughing:[/quote]

:laughing: You must hail from the MidSouth. Nobody hates Texas worse than Arkies, especially in Texarkana (the divided city), but I guess Memphis is close enough.

[quote=“mod lang”][quote=“Durins Bane”]Alien,

Remember, Laura and George are Texans and Texans really only know how to hunt things down and kill them. Asking them to be articulate or literate might be a bit much. :laughing:[/quote]

:laughing: You must hail from the MidSouth. Nobody hates Texas worse than Arkies, especially in Texarkana (the divided city), but I guess Memphis is close enough.[/quote]
Then they gotta tie the Okies. Try Tulsa, Norman, Stillwater or even OKC. Especially around UT-OU football Saturday, always in Dallas during the TX State Fair. But really, any time will do.

And hell, since Colorado has become Texas North during ski season, you might as well add Colorado to the list.

[quote=“mod lang”][quote=“Durins Bane”]Alien,

:laughing: You must hail from the MidSouth. Nobody hates Texas worse than Arkies, especially in Texarkana (the divided city), but I guess Memphis is close enough.[/quote]

I’m one of them California rednecks. My county has the highest teenage prenancy rate in the United States and the worst part of that is that many family trees in my neck of the woods don’t branch. :shock:

[quote=“Durins Bane”]
I’m one of them California rednecks. My county has the highest teenage prenancy rate in the United States and the worst part of that is that many family trees in my neck of the woods don’t branch. :shock:[/quote]

You misspelled “Mississippi”.

IYBF - Of course not!