Law & building guardian's own rules

Hello, I have 2 legal questions, here.

1. Legally, I would like to know what could happen if I just ignore the request of my own building’s guardian to show the ID card of the friends I bring in the building with me. Is there any law in Taiwan related to privacy protection which I can use to counter the request of the guardian?

2. More generally speaking, what legal problem could one face if one ignore the arbitrary rules of one’s own building guardian?

Thank you.

[quote=“karmaGfa”]1) Legally, I would like to know what could happen if I just ignore the request of my own building’s guardian to show the ID card of the friends I bring in the building with me. Is there any law in Taiwan related to privacy protection which I can use to counter the request of the guardian?

1. More generally speaking, what legal problem could one face if one ignore the arbitrary rules of one’s own building guardian?[/quote]
    Just to clarify: is security asking for ID (1) when visitors are walking in accompanied by you, or (2) when visitors want to come in, and they need the little electronic keys to operate the elevator on their way up to see you (while you stay in the apartment)? For #2, it’s fairly normal for the security guards to keep ID basically as a deposit until the visitor comes out and gives back the electronic key.

#1 sounds absurd and police-state-like - my wife wonders if it may be because there are famous/important people also living in the building. But I don’t have any legal points on the issue.

Have you noticed if they do this for all residents of the building, or just ones who are, erm, differently-coloured?

No way to the showing of id when accompanied by you. That happened to me once and I went nuts at the security guy. My chinese ability is directly proportionate to how angry I am :slight_smile: never happened again. Do not allow it. If its a legal thing they can call the cops, but they won’t.

@Iostinasia: When my friend is walking in the building with me. They are doing it specially for me. They also refuse to give me the elevator’s magnetic card, while my official residency address is still there.

I am curious about the 2) as someone took it to the court to ask for a protection order.

WTF? What does your landlord say?

I’m probably about as jaded as they come about shit here but I rather think they should be fearing legal action from you.

Wow. No elevator card?! How do they justify that?! That is absolute crap: you’ve got the right to raise hell with your landlord and/or the building security. Or maybe sit with the security guard and insist that he check the ID of everyone’s sister or mother-in-law or grandfather or whoever that comes in.

This sounds completely daft. What do they think you’re going to do, steal the elevator and sell it on ebay? At least have a word with the landlord. It’s also possible the security guy’s boss doesn’t know what’s going on - find out who his boss is, and have a word with him too. If that doesn’t work, it’s probably time to blow up in the little hitler’s face. Give him the works, and don’t stop screaming until you walk away from the security hut with your own personal elevator card. If he stops you bringing guests in, just walk past. Brush him aside if you have to; call the police if he won’t be brushed. There are a FEW people on this planet who make it their job in life to piss people off … until someone puts a rocket up their ass, when it ceases to be entertaining and they find someone else to pick on.

I’m assuming, of course, there’s nothing unusual about your circumstances (ie., you have a rental contract, you pay your rent, nobody has tried to evict you, etc). Also, your main problem is that you’ve set a precedent by complying with unreasonable requests, so it’ll be a bit more difficult that it might have otherwise been. As someone back there said, it’s normal for an unknown person to have to leave their ID in exchange for unaccompanied access. But that’s all.

Can you explain what this means?

Can you explain what this means?[/quote]

My wife asked a protection order, to make sure that I have no way to approach the building. She is kidnapping my daughter since more than 6 months. The protection order failed as I provided a video recording of my visit in the building and proved that I did nothing as what she claimed (ie. being violent, scare her, break into the building by force, refusing to give my ID card at the guardian request, etc …). She lied, the judge saw it and didn’t grant it to her.

Now, I don’t know what the law say about my right to enter this building (cf. my new post in the legal matter section).

your recent explanation kinda throws a whole different light on the situation, and would explain why they were “singling you out” for special treatment…

Can you explain what this means?[/quote]

My wife asked a protection order, to make sure that I have no way to approach the building. She is kidnapping my daughter since more than 6 months. The protection order failed as I provided a video recording of my visit in the building and proved that I did nothing as what she claimed (ie. being violent, scare her, break into the building by force, refusing to give my ID card at the guardian request, etc …). She lied, the judge saw it and didn’t grant it to her.

Now, I don’t know what the law say about my right to enter this building (cf. my new post in the legal matter section).[/quote]

If you live in the building, you have the right to enter it. If you don’t have any reason to be there, they can deny you entry.
Also, if you have been clearly told to stay away from the door and you ignore that request, you probably can be sued for harassment. During the first trial, there wasn’t enough evidence, but, since it should be clear to everyone including yourself that you are not welcome, a second trial could turn out differently.