Law for paid day off due to weather

Can someone link me the law for paid day off due to weather e.g Taifun or last Friday Flooding

I know it was posted before, but I can’t find it right now. It is urgent.

We were not working last Friday. Government website said no work for Taichung. My salary is fixed not hourly. Employer says it is unpaid holiday or I can use one of my holiday days to get full salary.
I am pretty sure that is wrong. The company I worked at before did pay in such events.

Is it required by law or is it up to the employer?

Yes, you’re supposed to get paid, but only because you have a fixed salary. Hourly workers are out of luck because a typhoon day is not a “holiday”.

勞工因天然災害致未出勤,非可歸責於勞工,雇主不得視為曠工、遲到或強迫勞工以事假或其他假別處理,且不得強迫勞工補行工作、扣發全勤獎金、解僱或為其他不利之處分。

That’s from Q5 of the first document here:

Unofficial translation:

If a natural disaster results in the worker not attending work, it cannot be attributed to the worker, and the employer shall not regard it as skipping work or lateness or force the worker to take personal leave or another type of leave and shall not force the worker to perform supplementary work, deduct the full attendance bonus, fire the worker or take other unfavorable action.

2 Likes

They still stand their point.

If government website says no work, you are not obligated to go to work and will not be punished for absenteeism. But they will not pay salary for that day unless I take one of my paid holidays.

天然災害發生事業單位勞工出勤管理及工資給付要點
https://laws.mol.gov.tw/FLAW/FLAWDAT0202.aspx?lsid=FL049533
says
“工因前點所定之情形無法出勤工作,雇主宜不扣發工資。但應雇主之要求而出勤,雇主除當日工資照給外,宜加給勞工工資,並提供交通工具、交通津貼或其他必要之協助。”

1 Like

So they say it is recommended to pay but not required.

若是不出勤:因為這不是勞基法的假,勞工可以不出勤,沒有提供勞務,所以雇主若不給付放假時段的工資,是可以的。當然勞動部的建議,是「宜」不扣發薪資,這也涉及到勞工的感受度。

宜 means can pay, but not required.

It is an advisement. Most companies do not deduct salaries but they don’t have to [not deduct]. We had this discussion in my company after the last typhoon fiasco in Taipei/New Taipei.

1 Like

So it is another case of Taiwan government screwing employees for the benefit of corporations.

Our company has the same policy, it’s been questioned extensively but apparently follows the law.

2 Likes

I’m still skeptical. I’ll look into it further when I have time.

When I worked for http://theworldslargesttechnologycompany.com, there was an announced Typhoon Day and we all had to come in on a subsequent Saturday to make it up.
The next season there was another one, and when I mentioned doing a makeup I was told we didn’t have to, since profits were up compared to the previous year.

Not that that particular employer was at all fussy about legalites…

Let’s watch the number of eejits who hit this link.

I know I did. :face_with_thermometer:

4種未出勤狀況下 「雇主不宜扣薪」
http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/paper/1215894

勞動部特別說明四種上班情境,提醒勞資注意。

情境一,公司位於台北市,員工來自台北市和新北市:由於新北市宣布停班,居住地在新北市的勞工可不出勤,雇主也可以不給工資;居住地在台北市的勞工則照常出勤,雇主必須給付工資。

Add: the above is in Chinese.

And I didn’t read it correctly. I reread, and it says in any cases employees don’t work, companies don’t need to pay.

4 posts were split to a new topic: 救命啊!我看不懂! (Rocket Repression Thread)

The article explains what happens if your job and home are in different counties.
The bottom point is the same. Payment for such a day off is optional.

1 Like

What happened? Is it NSFW?

1 Like

Very. Oh vicar.

1 Like