Laws in TW, am I in trouble

Taiwan’s Workplace Gender Equality Act prohibits sexual harassment in the place of employment and requires companies that employ in excess of thirty workers to establish concrete measures to prevent and penalize such offenses. Additionally, employers cannot dismiss female employees who have filed charges in connection with gender-based discrimination.

I haven’t seen any information on what acts constitute sexual harrassment in Taiwan. And you really haven’t told us what it is that you did or that she alleges you did.

The reason everyone laughs at this poster and says that no harassment occurred is probably because it’s just a troll. But if it isn’t a troll the reason no one takes it seriously is possibly because the troll can’t see how fucked up his behavior was. He says he was the girl’s supervisor, made rude body language, gave signals that he wanted a short term relationship (wanted to fuck her), and as a result she wants to sue for sexual harassment.

First, it’s not a good idea for supervisors to fuck their employees. Second, if the post is serious then I’ll bet he left out a few details, like all the times he openly stared at her breasts in the office, or commented on her butt to coworkers, the times he put his hand on her knees or her shoulders, the times he rubbed his crotch suggestively in front of her, the suggestive (or explicit) comments he made to her, the dirty jokes he told her or e-mailed her, the nasty comments he made about her or retaliatory measures he took when she rejected him, and that kind of stuff.

You don’t need to touch a person to sexually harass her/him. And if you think it’s worse in Taiwan then the US you’re a fool. Here in Taiwan half the employees at my former job had sexy girls in swimsuits for screen savers. Even that would be a definite factor in proving a hostile work environment in the US. E-mailing dirty jokes is another biggy. If I were an employer in the US I’d make damn sure those practices didn’t happen for fear of getting sued.

GOPbill, you’re only half right. You’re right that one can’t force a person to go to another country to respond to a civil suit. But if you violate someone’s legal rights in one country, they sue you there, and they properly serve you with legal process in some other country, you better fly back to country #1 and deal with the lawsuit. If you don’t, you will likely have a default judgment entered against you and that might be just as valid and enforceable in country #2 as any other Judgment. Of course it is a slow, expensive and difficult process to serve someone in another country, but it can be done.

Right, and given that, I have grave doubts about putting any faith in the poster’s claim that the other person flirted back.

It’s amazing what clueless pigs so many men are. Such a lack of impulse control makes you more infantile than a grown man. I was raised to be a southern gentleman and I generally strive to treat women with the same respect and courtesy I extend towards men. And frankly, women are as much to blame as men for the apalling degradation of standards - too many women let these subhuman neanderthals get away with their swinish behavior. Flip on the tube to MTV Jackass Spring Break YO! Raps and you’ll see how the message that groping breasts and half-raping scantily clad “bitches’n’hos” is wicked cool and acceptable in our modern youth culture (anyone remember Rapestock?). The rules of acceptable social conduct have broken down in our society. So-called “men” (I consider self-control a hallmark of adulthood, so they aren’t men to me, but mere boys in grownup bodies) are increasingly comfortable with getting away with making rude comments and publically groping women. It’s a disturbing trend that I’ve noticed becoming more and more prevalent in society in recent years, that wasn’t so common even 10 years ago. The new Lad/Maxim magazine culture is as if feminism never happened.

(and aside from respecting women’s rights, this kind of street/office harassment is just D-U-M-B strategy. If your goal is to get women to have sex with you, this is the worst of all possible ways to go about it - it actually drastically decreases your possibility of a woman going with you if you start sexually harassing her. So you’ve got maybe a 1 in 10 chance of getting that babe on the MRT to go out with you if you flash your pretty smile - whoops, now you just rubbed your crotch up against her butt lasciviously, for a few seconds of kicks your chances are now -0%)

this whole post is a bit bizarre really and obviously without proper knowledge of what went on it’s hard to know wtf has gone on. certainly tho’ it seems OP has over-stepped some boundaries but i get the feeling there is a fair amount of this going on in “bi-cultural” offices here. i’ve never got involved with workmates here (i work in trading companies) but have indulged in fairly low-level flirting from time to time (which is natural in any office environment). i have often wondered tho’ about behaviour of some female colleagues who used to occassionally (sp) “lay hands” on me. of course i am aware it would be way inappropriate to reciprocate or initiate this; but does any one else have any experience with this?

It just means the lady wants to have sex with you :slight_smile: I’ve experienced it a few times from female coworkers. No big deal; if you’re not attracted to her, just ignore it and she’ll get the message & stop.

Nugget of wisdom for the day:

Don’t get your meat at the same place you get your bread. You still have to work every day with this person if things go wrong - as they always will in relationships.

yes thats kind of what i figured but thanks for confirming it…nice to get the attention i guess

[quote=“mod lang”]It’s amazing what clueless pigs so many men are. Such a lack of impulse control makes you more infantile than a grown man. I was raised to be a southern gentleman and I generally strive to treat women with the same respect and courtesy I extend towards men. And frankly, women are as much to blame as men for the apalling degradation of standards - too many women let these subhuman neanderthals get away with their swinish behavior. Flip on the tube to MTV Jackass Spring Break YO! Raps and you’ll see how the message that groping breasts and half-raping scantily clad “bitches’n’hos” is wicked cool and acceptable in our modern youth culture (anyone remember Rapestock?). The rules of acceptable social conduct have broken down in our society. So-called “men” (I consider self-control a hallmark of adulthood, so they aren’t men to me, but mere boys in grownup bodies) are increasingly comfortable with getting away with making rude comments and publically groping women. It’s a disturbing trend that I’ve noticed becoming more and more prevalent in society in recent years, that wasn’t so common even 10 years ago. The new Lad/Maxim magazine culture is as if feminism never happened.

(and aside from respecting women’s rights, this kind of street/office harassment is just D-U-M-B strategy. If your goal is to get women to have sex with you, this is the worst of all possible ways to go about it - it actually drastically decreases your possibility of a woman going with you if you start sexually harassing her. So you’ve got maybe a 1 in 10 chance of getting that babe on the MRT to go out with you if you flash your pretty smile - whoops, now you just rubbed your crotch up against her butt lasciviously, for a few seconds of kicks your chances are now -0%)[/quote]

Though I think this post is a bit of an overdone rant (go see Dr. Guo and get the foot massage, mod!), I agree with what mod lang writes about treating women with absolute respect and courtesy. I never ask a girl home, and never make the first move on a date, for fear of offending someone I like. Women back home were always in the driver’s seat, and I use the same MO here. That is, I let them determine the pace at which things progress, so long as I am personally comfortable with it (I know it is a shock, but I will slow things down myself if I’m not comfortable with the situation).

Though a lot of romances begin in the office, I think this is very dangerous ground. I work around a number of cute co-workers, but I’ve never shat where I eat. Too dangerous, too much potential for offending someone, and thus simply not worth it.

or

Don’t dip your pen in company ink… :wink:

bear64 typed: occassionally (sp) “lay hands” on me. lay hands on your shoulder, hands?

well guys to sum it up I was being like a teenager and doing all the flirting stuff. nothing really serious. I think I will be ok. It’s just that I never actually done this in office before.

What he is trying to say is that the two of them were alone in the office one evening and he exposed himself to her, is that it?

[quote=“okaythen01”]what? just trying to ask for some help people?
btw peeps=people…
and doesn’t matter what I did before…what’s gonna happen now[/quote]

What’s gonna happen now? What will you try to cross next? (ouch :o )

I suspect this is a troll. Nevertheless, this may be educational for some Neanderthals out there.

LEGAL DEFINITION OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT

Sexual harassment as defined by law is any unwanted sexual advances, requests for sexual favors or visual, verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when:

• submission to such conduct is made a term or condition of employment; or

• submission to or rejection of such conduct is used as a basis for employment decisions affecting the individual; or

• such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an employee

[quote=“AnnaWang”]

She felt so uncomfortable that she was forced to tell you “no” to your face. [/quote]

This is something that bothers me about many women, particularly Taiwanese women. Why don’t they have the guts and honesty for a direct “no” instead of being so evasive all the time? Men aren’t mind-readers, though many women expect them to be. I’d much rather have a direct rejection than playing some sort of guessing game. If only more women had more of a backbone to issue an assertive “sorry, not interested,” early on in the game, instead of playing coy and letting the unwanted advances continue until the boiling point, half of all sexual harassment cases would be nipped in the bud before the harrassment started. I simply cannot comprehend why so many women are so passive to put up with this kind of shit.

Original poster: Please explain in detail what crossing one’s legs has to do with flirting and what exactly you meant by this expression.
What flirting back, precisely, did she do.
(Extra points for creativity, troll-meister)

Like everyone else, I’m completely puzzled by that. I’ve tried crossing my legs in various ways to see what it could possibly suggest, but I just can’t get it at all. Or could it be that he’s a Scotsman who was wearing a kilt at the time?

Omni: Maybe it was that akimbo knees and switching hands deal they used to do in minstral shows (back when we were but lads…). There must be a name for that move…
Maybe the Chinese girl thought it was some bizarre foreigner mating dance (all foreigners are weird anyway) and was, subconsciously excited by what could have been erotic.
Or maybe the girl was a big pelican.

anna,

You have defined sexual harrassment per US law. I do not know if that is the Taiwan law definiton for sexual harrassment.

Do pelicans get excited when guys cross their legs?

Or maybe he crossed his legs over hers?

I do hope he’ll elucidate for us.