Laws on alcohol production by distillation

A bad knee is preventing me from riding uni- and tricycles in the foreseeable future. To compensate for the lack of income, I am thinking to grow my rooftop backyard moonshine operation into a real business. I have a decent product portfolio including I Can’t Believe It’s Not Methanol Vodka, Rooftop Gin, Bathtub Clown Gin, Rooftop Bathtub Clown Gin, and I wish it were Whiskey, that I plan to expand with Absinthe and Mango Schnaps. I have shared these products with me mates over the last few years and none of them has gone blind.

My question is: What are the regulations regarding setting up a distillery? I understand that there are alcohol manufacturing and labeling regulations. Any land use restrictions? (e.g. only on industrial land, not near a school, etc.) Do I have to get a permit from the fire bureau?

2 Likes

Somehow related article in Chinese

你的數量有限,且「僅供自用」,那才例外不處罰。

You may check
The Tobacco and Alcohol Administration Act

if you have a farmer or aboriginal friend,

農民或原住民製酒管理辦法

3 Likes

I hear that the placement of the bathtub on the roof makes all the difference!
:bathtub: :cocktail: :yum:

(Make sure it’s correctly positioned to get the right amount of moonlight, of course.)

1 Like

If yore asking online, forget it. You need a factory permit, lots of FDA regulations. Because you are going to be in direct competition with the government (TTL) and the product is both a health hazard and a safety hazard on the manufacturing side, you will absolutely be inspected now a days. If you have at least 7 or 8 million to blow setting up, go for it. Otherwise, there is a reason most alcohol you see is OEM.

As well side note. It would be far easier to make it abroad and import it. The import duty/taxes work out way less than setup here unless yor sxale is massive, like Tsingtao.

I think OP only intends to produce for private consumption, not for profit. Does this distinction exist in Taiwanese law?

Edit: Sorry, misread OP’s post.

Actually I am trying to move from private consumption to commercial scale.

Do you know about the factory permitting? Do I just need construction permit, use permit and fire certificate, or is there anything else?

Fine with me. If I do it, I’ll do it properly.

Is that 7 or 8 million NTD or 7 or 8 million USD?

I’ve been to a few OEM factories. But not very convinced about their quality, especially the cleaning processes.

FYI

1 Like

Buy ethanol from TTL and turn it into anything you want.