Lays/Walkers Salt and Vinegar crisps

Does anyone know where I can find Lay’s/Walkers Salt and Vinegar crisps in Taipei?

I’ve been craving them since I left the UK. I stocked up while I was in Hong Kong but now they’ve run out, the cravings are ten times worse!

1 Like

Wellcome usually has them.

Do you know which one? I looked in the one by Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT today and couldn’t see any. Thanks though!

The one on An He road - section 2, over the road from Li Jen (Li Ren) guo xiao has them on special offer. But to be honest the “Burt’s” branded ones seem nicer to me. That Welcome has those as well.

Agree that Burt’s are better.

Recently I’ve seen them in the Wellcome near Guting MRT, and the one on Renai Rd in Yonghe near Dingxi MRT. They’re the only 2 I ever go into.

The only odd thing about Burt’s is that I’ve already bought 3 packets of their salt and vinegar, and each packet has had one crisp that was partly green (about 25%). I know that any green potato could be toxic, so I didn’t eat those bits. Just wondering if any one else found a bit of green crisp in their Burt’s. I still buy them because they are nicer than Lays. I never liked Walkers back in the UK, especially so after they changed their recipes. Lays/Walkers crisps make my mouth feel numb and they make me feel a bit sickly.

The Wellcome near the Guting MRT and the one in Tianmu are the best for finding lots of foreign products, especially the one in Tianmu. I had the luxury of living really close to that one, so I found plenty of foreign products.

Thanks guys, I’ll check them out when I’m in the area.

I never eat crisps but you can’t beat Kettle Chips. I think most crisps clog you up with cheap oil and make you tired + sick. Have’t eaten them in 7 years. I think dehydrated veggies are the way forward:

dried-peas.com/dried%20veggies.jpg

Different horses for different courses I suppose. I find those dried vegetables pretty sickening myself, but probably more healthy.

Are we talking about those dried vegetables that come in packs of convenience noodles (before you put hot water on them), or the posh sort you’d pay about five quid for in M&S?

Still, any salt and vinegar crisps are better than none. If I can’t find any others I will still buy the Lays ones. It’s as close as I can get to fish and chips in Taiwan. I know there are some places claiming to do fish and chips, but I’ve tried a few and they were all rubbish. I tried that one that closed down years ago on Xing Yi Road, and in my opinion it was aweful! Then again, my local fish and chip restaurant (when I’m back in the UK), often wins awards for being the best in the UK, so I have high standards where fish and chips are concerned.

The posh ones. I agree they are stupidly over-priced. Someone needs to make a Kettle chips rip-off but with dehydrated veggies. If it tasted good it might sell well. Junk food sales are going down and people want something healthier.

The seaweed snacks here are pretty good, there’s one with popped rice
in a seaweed sandwich.

You should be able to get those dried (fried?) vegetables pretty easily. I know they sell them in bulk on Dihua street in Taipei around CNY (i.e. now), and they sell them at Cookbox down in Kaohsiung. There are probably a bunch of other places that sell them. I even saw them for sale in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn last winter and they were made in Taiwan.

Bit of a gravedig here, but figured it would be better to do this than to just duplicate a thread:

I tried the Wellcome in Guting tonight to look for salt and vinegar pringles and…no luck at all sadly.

Do salt and vinegar Pringles even exist in this country anymore?

My gf insists they don’t, as she tried to find them for a while in Taipei after coming back from overseas about a year ago.

Asking for a friend!

I saw salt and vinegar Lays in Jason’s recently. If that helps

1 Like

Which is the Wellcome near Guting MRT? Were people talking about the one on Tong’an Street, or another location that’s now closed?

I go to the former one occasionally, and I don’t think that it’s particularly close to Guting MRT or that it stocks a wide range of foreign items. :thinking:

Haven’t seen salt and vinegar Lays anywhere in Taiwan, for what it’s worth. I used to buy them sometimes from an imported items shop in China and they seemed to have a much stronger flavour than any other salt and vinegar crisps I’ve ever tried (in a good, albeit probably unhealthy, way).

1 Like

Salt and vinegar Lay’s regularly find the shelves in Carrefour. IME, at least

2 Likes

I have a fun anecdote about salt and vinegar chips. When I was in the early stages of becoming a rock star, our band did a gig in Durban. The grimy owner of a hotel put us up in one of his grimy rooms and paid us a grimy pittance after performing on his grimy stage.
I got a groupie. She was a pretty grimy goth. After the show, we get in the car to mosey around, and bundled in the goth. She’s hungry, so we stop at a cornership and she hops out and buys some salt and vinegar chips. Not only that, she scores a sachet of vinegar, too, which she pours onto the chips, rendering them a seething bag of sour, mashed muck, and proceeds to devour the abomination.
The band are kinda envious. I’m going to be shagging this grimy goth babe, and they have nothing grimy to show for their efforts, so I peel off a few large from the door takings, hand it over and say “Go buy some good loving!”
The next morning I wake up with a condom on my cock. Grimy goth babe has disappeared, and there’s a stinking packet of soggy salt and vinegar chips next to my head.
The bass player comes in. “jimi”, he says, “I was fucking a prostitute by the harbor and my condom broke!”
It was a traumatic next few months.

4 Likes

Weird, I’ve never seen them there actually. Maybe I wasn’t looking hard enough. Any particular Carrefour?

I quite like salt and vinegar crisps, I’m just too stingy to pay the NT$150 or whatever it is they usually are in Jason’s. I feel like I’m being extorted.