Leak Coming From Upstairs Neighbors

Hey folks,

Looking for a bit of advice. My wife and I bought a place recently and have now been informed by the guys remodelling the bathroom that there is a leak coming from the neighbors upstairs. We have spoke with them about it but they are unwilling to pay to fix it.

They had someone come in to assess the problem. They now say that they will not use the bathroom where the leak origniated but will instead use the other bathroom in their house. The cost to fix the problem is 22k.

Have any of you had a situation like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Masher

I have the exact same situation. I was perplexed to read your neighbors reaction was completely equal to my neighbor. I offered them I would pay for the fix but they still wouldn’t allow it. In the end they said they would use the other bathroom. Totally bunks and untrue. I decided to move out as the leak continued and now I rent the bedrooms of the apartment separately as 套房 and 雅房.

No direct experience of this exact situation, but 22k seems pricey, especially for Taiwanese workmanship - maybe you could try getting other quotes to see if there’s a cheaper fix?

We live in a rented apartment, and the shower drain in our bathroom was leaking into the downstairs apartment a couple of months ago. Apparently this had been going on for a while and there was some dispute between our landlady and the downstairs neighbor, where our landlady had tried to show up downstairs with a workman at some pre-arranged time but the neighbor hadn’t bothered to be there and now the landlady didn’t want to deal with it until the neighbor apologized. What this meant is that every time I took a shower the neighbor would come up, ring the doorbell incessantly, and tell us not to use the shower, and I’d say sorry but we need to take a shower sometimes and she should contact our landlady to fix it, which she refused to do and insisted we fix it (although we’d already reported it to our landlady, who told us to ignore her).

It got sorted eventually in some convoluted way (the neighbor’s son speaking to the landlady’s son, as they go to school together or something), and a workman came to replace our shower drain in the ceiling space of the neighbor’s apartment. I don’t know what that cost, but I’d be surprised if it was more than a few thousand for some new piping, sealant, and labor.

Mine was almost 100k the quotation as they would need to do all the upstairs neighbor’s pipes and break her floor etc. I offered to pay and to throw in another 50k and remodel her old bathroom. They didn’t accept. They haven’t done anything to their bathroom in 30 years they have been living there.

2 Likes

Wow, okay - more than I thought. I didn’t see what the workman did to the downstairs bathroom, except for a photo he showed me of an absolutely destroyed pipe, but I was a bit concerned originally that he’d need to access the drain through our bathroom (which would have required breaking the floor and removing all the tiles as you say).

What is the leak? You share a ceiling with their floor. Inneveitble problems will occur.

If you are living in a condo/apartment, perhaps the strata, ahem council haha, can lend a hand.

End of the day, they can rightfully hold out until court decisions. Dont stress out looking for logic where none has ever developed.

3 Likes