Learn Chinese 3 times/week - weekdays and/or weekend

I’ve been in Taipei for some time and have studied Chinese for a short time at TLI. Currently I’m working 9-6 and therefore have very little time to study. I’m looking for information on anywhere I can study Chinese about 3 times/week - weekend ok. Most classes I’ve found are offered 5X/wk.
Of course, an alternative is to find a few people with similar interest and start a class somewhere. I think TLI offers that possibility. PLEASE HELP…

[quote=“burkevon_”]I’ve been in Taipei for some time and have studied Chinese for a short time at TLI. Currently I’m working 9-6 and therefore have very little time to study. I’m looking for information on anywhere I can study Chinese about 3 times/week - weekend ok. Most classes I’ve found are offered 5X/wk.
Of course, an alternative is to find a few people with similar interest and start a class somewhere. I think TLI offers that possibility. PLEASE HELP…[/quote]

Pioneer has thrice weekly evening classes. 3 hours each.

I’m being taught 3 times a week at Myschool, costs 7500NT for 10 weeks. Each lesson is 90 minutes and the teacher goes at my own pace (painfully slow sometimes)

Check out myschool.com.tw/modules/cjay … .php?id=62

or look at

taiwanease.com/theknowledge/ … age_School

Thanks guys…I’ve followed up on both leads and it seems MYSCHOOL may be willing to open up a new group class. Perfect as I prefer to learn with others.

No offense, but I used that excuse for 6 years – too busy with full-time employment, no time to study Chinese. It seems like a valid excuse, but it’s not. I finally realized that eventually I will return to the US, it will be 1,000 times harder to learn Chinese, and if I’m ever going to learn Chinese it will have to be here. So, despite my full-time job and family I’ve started up my lessons again. It’s very difficult but it can be done if one is really serious about it.

[quote] I’m looking for information on anywhere I can study Chinese about 3 times/week - weekend ok. Most classes I’ve found are offered 5X/wk.
Of course, an alternative is to find a few people with similar interest and start a class somewhere. I think TLI offers that possibility. PLEASE HELP…[/quote]

I have a teacher from TLI come to my office just once a week for 2 hours. It’s not much, but it’s all I can fit in my schedule, it forces me to study every Sat, every Sun, a few days during the week, do supermemo flashcards in taxis, etc., and I’m definitely making progress – not as quickly as you will with 3 classes a week, but it’s a lot better than nothing.

[quote=“StuartCa”]I’m being taught 3 times a week at Myschool, costs 7500NT for 10 weeks. Each lesson is 90 minutes and the teacher goes at my own pace (painfully slow sometimes)

or look at

taiwanease.com/theknowledge/ … age_School[/quote]

Where is the school, or more specifically what’s it near as I can read it’s on Xinsheng?

[quote=“StuartCa”]I’m being taught 3 times a week at Myschool, costs 7500NT for 10 weeks. Each lesson is 90 minutes and the teacher goes at my own pace (painfully slow sometimes)

or look at

taiwanease.com/theknowledge/ … age_School[/quote]
Is this a private (one-on-one) class or a group class? That’s really cheap if it’s private.

Yeah, that seems to work out to NT$167/hour. :astonished: Or did I do the math wrong?

Mother Theresa, thanks for the lecture on the virtues of studying Chinese…As I don’t plan on staying in Taiwan the rest of my life, I’ve decided to continue with my studies at MY OWN PACE…but thanks for preaching to the already converted!!! Next time you decide to lecture, you might want to actually ADD something VALID…like recommending your teacher.

For the person who actually wants to know about MYSCHOOL, I spoke with the owner and I think he’s pretty cool. It seems they are willing to open up a class about 3x/week for $3500 (24 teaching hrs). Not as cheap as the other deal but I prefer group classes as there’s usually more conversation. But Give a call. Good luck.

[quote=“burkevon_”]Mother Theresa, thanks for the lecture on the virtues of studying Chinese…As I don’t plan on staying in Taiwan the rest of my life, I’ve decided to continue with my studies at MY OWN PACE…but thanks for preaching to the already converted!!! Next time you decide to lecture, you might want to actually ADD something VALID…like recommending your teacher.

[/quote]

Trying to win (Forumosan) friends and influence people, I see. :unamused:

[/Trying to win (Forumosan) friends and influence people, I see]

Just stating a fact man…if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all. I do appreciate the info from the ppl who contributed.

[quote=“burkevon_”]

Just stating a fact man…if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all. I do appreciate the info from the people who contributed.[/quote]

Yes, I’m sure you do. But I notice you took no notice of MY question? Expecting answers, but offering none yourself, and getting snippy when people offer a bit of harmless unsolicited advice is not going to make you very popular around here.

Just stating a fact man. Learn the culture of any new board you want to join before sniping at an old member who has contributed greatly to many a thread over the years.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]
Where is the school, or more specifically what’s it near as I can read it’s on Xinsheng?[/quote]

From their website, it’s between Renai and Xinyi on Xinsheng S. Rd. Sec.1
myschool.com.tw/modules/cjay … x.php?id=4

[quote=“scomargo”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
Where is the school, or more specifically what’s it near as I can read it’s on Xinsheng?[/quote]

From their website, it’s between Ren’ai and Xinyi on Xinsheng S. Rd. Sec.1
myschool.com.tw/modules/cjay … x.php?id=4[/quote]

Thanks. Further up than I thought. Oh well, not like there aren’t three other schools near where I work. :slight_smile:

Muzha Man wrote:
[Yes, I’m sure you do. But I notice you took no notice of MY question? Expecting answers, but offering none yourself, and getting snippy when people offer a bit of harmless unsolicited advice is not going to make you very popular around here.
Just stating a fact man. Learn the culture of any new board you want to join before sniping at an old member who has contributed greatly to many a thread over the years.]

[b]Noted!!![/b][/u][/quote]

As Mucha says My School is near the Junction of Xinsheng and Renai, next to a bakers. It’s very easy to find.

StuartCa,
Is your class one-on-one, or do you have classmates?

It was with classmates but they dropped out, so it’s one-on-one now. Suits me,

Bloody Hell. Just finished my weekly Chinese class. Teacher from TLI has been coming to my office just once a week at 5:30. Usually I work till 7 or 7:30, but that one day I quit work early for my class. We’re making progress – just completed TLI Book I and start Book II next week – but man is this hard. I’m an old man and my head is full. It’s hard enough to memorize all the new stuff on weekends, but by the end of a long work day I’m tired and can barely keep up with the oral stuff. Actually, I can’t keep up and she’s usually kind enough to read passages over and over.

I study about 1.5 or 2 hours each day on the weekend and try to put in some time one or two days before work (but often fail to do so). I also do Supermemo to and from my home every day in the taxi. And, as I said, I’m making progress.

But sometimes it’s so damned exasperating. I’ve been on this island 7 years. If I stick with these lessons as I’m doing, maybe in another year I’ll be able to have some really basic conversations. I can order meals now and engage in minor chitchat with laoban’s and taxi drivers, but I’m talking about actual conversatoins about more than the weather, how long in Taiwan, where I met my wife, etc. That seems like an impossible dream.

Man do I envy my little girl. Less than 3 years old and she’s already way ahead of me and gaining english and chinese skills exponentially. For a tired old fart like myself it’s an endless painful struggle.

Oh well, that’s all, just wanted to bitch. Time to go home for dinner.