Learning chinese difficult with locals

I am a local Taiwanese male working in an English learning publishing company. I used to be an English major and interested in linguistics; therefore, I’ve always trying to improve my English.

Before I started this job, I looked forward to it, because I thought I would get a lot of chances to practice English with foreign English editors. However, it was another story after I started my job. Culture gap deterred my friendship with foreigners. I found the philosophy of getting things done is often different between Chinese and foreign colleagues. And supervisors of the company usually treat local and foreign employees differntly. In my company, one of the supervisor trains her local subordinates to report the strengths and weakness of the foreign workers. It seems as if they were spied on by the locals. How could you expect you could earn friendship with locals in this kind of working environment?

Given that “racism” (as one of my Canadian co-worked call it), language is still a problem that causes misunderstanding. I always want to share life experiences and philosopy with my foreign coworkers, but I just can’t make it with my limited English proficiency. Any way, I thinky deeply in Chinese, but speak poorly in English. I think that’s how you feel most Taiwanese are boring.

I can appreciate how you feel, because I’ve also tried hard to get along with foreigners in Taiwan. I think it is really hard to cross the culture gap. All you can do is be friendly and be patient.