Learning Mandarin Before Getting MBA

Hey Folks,

I’m thinking of taking a gap year from my current job, and staying in Taipei for 1 year, attending language classes at a local University.

I feel that this experience can be strong asset when applying to MBAs, and in an international career in general. It would certainly be a differentiator in any application. About me, I’m 27 and currently have over 3 years of work experience working for Microsoft as a project manager.

Anyways, did any of you follow a similar strategy ? What are some good apartment locations/complexes and what are the top language schools that I could attend.

Please let me know price ranges too, I would like to be in the heart of Taipei. Is 500 a month for an apartment enough ? I am willing to pay much more that than, if the apartments are comfortable and well located (like close to subway)

Regards,

Delonge

foreign language skill is a bonus on an MBA application, Chinese especially.

500 a month will get you a decent studio in a new building in Taipei, and a two bedroom in an older building.

your qualifications sound pretty solid, so as long as you got a decent GMAT score you could probably write your own ticket.

I’d advise living in Taipei so you can stay close to major corporations (such as Microsoft) and if you get your Chinese up quickly you may be ableto slide into a position over here and not need the MBA.

At the end of the day an MBA is just a key to open a few more doors, something that Mandarin skills and being in the right place at the right time might also do.

500 what though?

US dollars? Euros? Pounds? Zloty?

Please check the Learning Chinese forum. All your questions are answered there.

Many people go to the Mandarin Training Center at National Normal University in Taipei. If I were coming to learn Mandarin, I would go to Hualien, Chiayi, or Tainan though. There are university-affiliated programs in all of those locations. The programs are all very similar in terms of quality and price.

US$500 is not enough for an apartment in Taipei in the city. It is more than enough in all the other places.

Definitely do it. With your experience, a year of mandarin study and an MBA, you should find good work. And, it’s a hellavalot easier to study Chinese earlier in life, before you work too far up the career ladder and can’t possibly take time off, rather than later, when you recognize that it really would help your career but you can’t possibly find the time or energy.

500: I’m assuming this is US dollars (including units is advisable on an international forum such as this: you could mean Euros or pounds for all I know).

You can pay significantly less than US$500/month and still live comfortably if you live outside the heart of the city. The subway system is extensive, cheap and fast.

It was 500 “bucks” of course… :slight_smile: The suspense can end.

I guess I’ve lived in California for too long , the fewer words the better over there.

Yes, it would be great to land a solid job while I’m there, but I don’t want to get false hopes.

If the right opportunity comes up, then I will consider it.

You can pay significantly less than US$500/month and still live comfortably if you live outside the heart of the city.

I am open to this strategy. I will likely only have two formal hours of class a day, and could certainly afford longer than usual commute time.

Any recommendations for a good bargain outside of Taipei ?

Thanks again everyone, I received like 5 replies in minutes, this forum is very helpful.

Take it easy.

Delonge

[quote=“Feiren”]
Many people go to the Mandarin Training Center at National Normal University in Taipei. If I were coming to learn Mandarin, I would go to Hualian, Jiayi, or Tainan though. [/quote]

May I ask why you prefer these cities? Sometimes going off the beaten path can indeed be the best choice. So I’d like to understand why you recommend these three cities to learn Mandarin instead of the Capital.

Regards,

Delonge

The cost of living is much cheaper, better quality of life, more access to Taiwan’s natural beauty. There is plenty to do in all of these places and the people there will have more time to hang out with you so that you can practice your Mandarin. You will waste a lot of time figuring out how you want to live in Taipei.

I’ve lived in Taipei for most of the past 20 years and love it. But I would study Mandarin somewhere else in Taiwan, or, more likely, in Yunnan (Dali or Kunming).

I’ll also give you some conflicting advice. Given that you want to an MBA etc. I strongly recommend that you find a non-teaching job so that you can gain some experience of working here. It’s also a great and practical way to practice your Mandarin (fine some good bars or cafes too) AmCham sometimes hires interns etc.

Also, read this thread…

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=83563

Outside of Taipei, in any of the cities Feiren mentioned, you would have more opportunities to speak and practice Mandarin versus Taipei, where it is piss easy to get around with only English. Taipei is very different from Taiwan if that makes any sense. You also have a chance for better language exchanges and travelling with your limited monthly funds.

I’d also suggest some of the podcasts from Itunes and look around and there may be a good starter course in ItunesU. You’d also have time to do the elementary school books form 1st-6th grade in a smaller city. I’d also join an online study group and look into community colleges. The one in Changhua offers Taiwanese and Mandarin classes, though the Taiwanese courses are geared to Taiwanese adults.

[quote=“Delonge182”]Hey Folks,

I’m thinking of taking a gap year from my current job, and staying in Taipei for 1 year, attending language classes at a local University.

I feel that this experience can be strong asset when applying to MBAs, and in an international career in general. It would certainly be a differentiator in any application. About me, I’m 27 and currently have over 3 years of work experience working for Microsoft as a project manager.

Anyways, did any of you follow a similar strategy ? What are some good apartment locations/complexes and what are the top language schools that I could attend.

Please let me know price ranges too, I would like to be in the heart of Taipei. Is 500 a month for an apartment enough ? I am willing to pay much more that than, if the apartments are comfortable and well located (like close to subway)

Regards,

Delonge[/quote]

This was my original plan, too, and it would have worked except that one year is not enough to learn enough Mandarin worth mentioning, really. Even if you work extra hard, most lessons here, with the exception of the special program at Taiwan University that takes 8 hours a day, are only two hours of classtime a day, and outside practice time depends on too many variables. If you only know the basics, there is not much practice you can do with language exchange partners or extra lessons.

So, you have to be more specific and realistic in your goals. Do you want enough Mandarin for basic conversation or you aspire to being able to converse about business topics more fluently? I tried Business Chinese like at the two year mark and it was really hard. Most went over my head.

As you said, this is a significant investment, both in time and money. maybe you can start with the basics in a safe environment back home and then head for Taiwan to get fluent and “get the experience”. Who knows, maybe a job opportunity, with your background, would allow you to have a better grasp of teh language and enrich your curriculum, making you a better MBA and job candidate.

That said, I’d reccomenmd teh program at NCCU, wher eyou have the #1 business school, more international. And now that we are at it, check out the IMBA program. You can get the Chinese language and your MBA at the same time, taking the MBA in English and attending Chinese lessons too -even on a scholarship, as there are many available for foreigners.

EDIT:
www.imba.nccu.edu.tw

Lovely Muzha campus, with hiking trails, bike paths, tea farms, ancient temples and waterfalls nearby…

Thanks Icon, I’d be looking to learn basic Chinese at a minimum. Business lingo would be the icing on the cake, but very nice to have.

Ferein,

About the alternative locations, are any of them significantly close to Taipei ?

I would love to discover the natural beauty of Taiwan, as I am very receptive to nature. So I am very open to your advice.

If I were coming to learn Mandarin, I would go to Hualian, Jiayi, or Tainan though

What do you like most about these three ? I can use Google and Wikipedia to find out more about each one.

But I would study Mandarin somewhere else in Taiwan, or, more likely, in Yunnan (Dali or Kunming).

Interesting. I could also go to China. I was recently in Beijing, but view Taiwan as a more attractive location. I think mainly because of the different government and the fact that Taiwan is more westernized. I really liked the people I met in China though and had a good time there.

Thank-you

Delonge

[quote=“Feiren”]
Also, read this thread…

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=83563[/quote]

Nice thread, read it all, thanks. Seems much more positive than negative…

Personally, I’d recommend Taipei as a better place to learn Mandarin given the fact that much of learning a language includes daily interaction with locals. Though your teachers in Tainan may teach you the standard accent, you’ll hear it less in the south among the local people than you will in Taipei.

Taiwan is probably a better place for learning mandarin.

A year of Mandarin, while better than none, will not be so helpful in terms of applying for an MBA unless you can describe clearly and convincingly how it fits into your future career. A year’s worth of Mandarin won’t help you conduct business unless you are really good at languages.

Keep in mind that language is a merely a tool to do something else - you will need the something else both for the MBA and your career afterwords. Also, don’t bother with an MBA unless it is a top 20 program. The ROI doesn’t make sense unless you are going because that is what you truly enjoy.

[quote=“Elegua”]Taiwan is probably a better place for learning Mandarin.

A year of Mandarin, while better than none, will not be so helpful in terms of applying for an MBA unless you can describe clearly and convincingly how it fits into your future career. A year’s worth of Mandarin won’t help you conduct business unless you are really good at languages.

Keep in mind that language is a merely a tool to do something else - you will need the something else both for the MBA and your career afterwords. Also, don’t bother with an MBA unless it is a top 20 program. The ROI doesn’t make sense unless you are going because that is what you truly enjoy.[/quote]

This advice is spot-on. It may seem harsh, but it isn’t. It’s true.

He’s a project manager at Microsoft. He’s already got the “something else.”

I don’t agree with Elegua’s oft-repeated assertion that only an MBA from the top 20 is worth the cost. I know several people who’ve gotten MBAs from mid-tier universities and have done well for themselves. And the cost at those universities is significantly less than the six figure price tag at the top schools. Don’t get me wrong - I know that people who graduate from the top 20 have significantly more value in the market. But the idea that anything else is worthless in terms of ROI - OK, show me some credible stats backing that up.

But I agree with the others that one year isn’t near enough time to become fluent. Certainly not to the point where you’ll be able to function in a Mandarin-speaking work environment. You’ll need a minimum of two, preferably three years of intensive study. Unless you’re one of those language savants, of course.

Come to Taiwan, do the year and review. Chances are you will meet a hot local girl or three, love the lifestyle, teach a bit of English, forget the MBA and never leave - ask around on these forums.

Good luck.

Thanks, yeah, I was talking to my Dad who works for a telecommunication company in France, and he basically told me that MBA has no ROI, and to drop the idea.

So I may look for a job instead. Like your storyline though.

Delonge

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“Elegua”]Taiwan is probably a better place for learning Mandarin.

Keep in mind that language is a merely a tool to do something else - you will need the something else both for the MBA and your career afterwords. Also, don’t bother with an MBA unless it is a top 20 program. The ROI doesn’t make sense unless you are going because that is what you truly enjoy.[/quote]

This advice is spot-on. It may seem harsh, but it isn’t. It’s true.[/quote]

Didn’t mean that to sound harsh…