Lease, buy new or used?

Hi,
I’ll be in Taiwan for the next one year and I’m thinking if I should lease a car for a year or just buy a brand new car or a slightly used car. The rental cost is around $22000 per month all in which works out to $264,000 per year. The only issue is that it is boring Toyota vios/altis. I’m kind of a car enthusiast and would prefer something nicer. I how do I find the depreciation of used and new cars? What is the usual insurance and other taxes I need to pay per year? Finally, is there a good place to view online sale of cars by direct owners?

If you’re an enthusiast, you really want to consider the 5 Sp. Focus 2.0. Reliable, fun to drive, and a really nice design (European version MK2) You could pick up a nice used one for under $300,000 and flip it in a year fairly easily. They hold their value well, so the most you’ll lose is $40,000-$50,000 if you need to unload it quickly. The Mazda 3 is another practical car that’s fun to drive. You can get that with up to a 2.5 liter. Mostly automatic though, with kinda boring transmissions. I’d recommend the Auto Checkers service on this site. He locates cars and does a thorough 200 pt. inspection. More importantly, he’s a volume buyer that should be able to get you a better deal. If you’re fresh of the boat, those salesmen will eat you.

The total insurance/registration cost depends on engine displacement. Around $20000/yr for a 2.0L. This is all that is legally required. You can get extra coverage through private insurance firms.

If you want to look at some cars go to 8891.com.tw. If you want to see realistic, consistent prices go to sum.com.tw. You can probably knock 15-25% off these prices depending on the model and your negotiating skills.

[quote=“lakers4life”]If you’re an enthusiast, you really want to consider the 5 Sp. Focus 2.0. Reliable, fun to drive, and a really nice design (European version MK2) You could pick up a nice used one for under $300,000 and flip it in a year fairly easily. They hold their value well, so the most you’ll lose is $40,000-$50,000 if you need to unload it quickly. The Mazda 3 is another practical car that’s fun to drive. You can get that with up to a 2.5 liter. Mostly automatic though, with kinda boring transmissions. I’d recommend the Auto Checkers service on this site. He locates cars and does a thorough 200 pt. inspection. More importantly, he’s a volume buyer that should be able to get you a better deal. If you’re fresh of the boat, those salesmen will eat you.

The total insurance/registration cost depends on engine displacement. Around $20000/yr for a 2.0L. This is all that is legally required. You can get extra coverage through private insurance firms.

If you want to look at some cars go to 8891.com.tw. If you want to see realistic, consistent prices go to sum.com.tw. You can probably knock 15-25% off these prices depending on the model and your negotiating skills.[/quote]

That is one good response. :bravo:

[quote=“Stektan”]Hi,
I’ll be in Taiwan for the next one year and I’m thinking if I should lease a car for a year or just buy a brand new car or a slightly used car. The rental cost is around $22000 per month all in which works out to $264,000 per year. The only issue is that it is boring Toyota vios/altis. I’m kind of a car enthusiast and would prefer something nicer. I how do I find the depreciation of used and new cars? What is the usual insurance and other taxes I need to pay per year? Finally, is there a good place to view online sale of cars by direct owners?[/quote]

Keepin mind, a car is not necessarily a neccessity in taiwan. I bought one when I arrived a few years ago basically because I could not imagine living without one. It’s been great to get outside taipei. But living in the city works fine without one and many times is more convenient for parking (difficult to find many times at or near destination) and the headaches from driving in this crazy place. Maybe you could rent for the first month, and make decision after.

Hi… Thanks for reply. Ya will check out the sites and consider before getting.