Leave before 183 days?

I’ve been in Taiwan since March on visa-exempt status to avoid Covid-19 as my family back home is high-risk. I’ve been taking Mandarin classes at a local university. I’m living off of a combination of savings, but also working remotely for a company based in the U.S. which pays me to my U.S. bank account and I pay U.S. taxes on that income. I have no local accounts here in Taiwan.

The government has announced a fifth extension to bring total stay allowance to 210 days, but I’ve read that after 183, one becomes a tax resident. My main question is whether or not I’ll have to answer and/or prove income questions at the airport or elsewhere after 183 days? I’d like to stay for 210+ days, but I’m wondering whether it’s more worth it to simply leave for the year at the 180 day mark.

How much stricter do they get if I stay beyond 183 days?

I am pretty sure it is 90 days under your circumstances. Someone with more knowledge will probably chime in and let you know.

Tax questions at the airport definitely used to be a thing (a show your receipt or don’t get on the plane kind of thing), but in this day and age, I haven’t heard of it.

As for the pros and cons of being a tax resident, it tends to work in your favor to be one, because as a tax non-resident you get basically no deductions or exemptions. And you’re already liable for more tax after 90 days, anyway.

Im in the same situation.

Theoratically, we are already tax liable after 90 days.

A friend of mine left Taiwan after 120 days and they didnt ask any questions.

I dont think they will ask questions if youre on a tourist visa, especially in COVID-times…

…but I also considered if it might be better to leave before the 183 days nevertheless.