Leave of Absence — What Happens to Your ARC?

I’ve searched all over the immigration website but have come up empty handed. After 4 years working for the same company in Taiwan, I wish to take an extended leave of absence to visit family back in the USA. I mentioned the possibility to my employer over a year ago and they were quick to assure me that the proper arrangements could be made (in terms of the company’s end of the bargain).

…But does the government allow foreigners to take an extended leave of absence while retaining their employment and residency status (i.e., work permit and ARC)? I’ve had a few colleagues take LOA (留職停薪) in the past, ranging from 3 months to 8 months. However, these were all ROC nationals. What happens if you take time away from work as a foreign national? Is your ARC or NHI affected?

Are you stripped of your residency during the LOA, even though you are still legally employed? This strikes me as heavy-handed but I wouldn’t put it past the government. And if that were the case, I guess it would mean you are forced to leave Taiwan for the duration of your leave as well (?). :ponder:

Any help would be appreciated, especially if you have experienced this situation first hand or know of someone else who has… :taz:

[quote=“FormosaWorker”]I’ve searched all over the immigration website but have come up empty handed. After 4 years working for the same company in Taiwan, I wish to take an extended leave of absence to visit family back in the USA. I mentioned the possibility to my employer over a year ago and they were quick to assure me that the proper arrangements could be made (in terms of the company’s end of the bargain).

…But does the government allow foreigners to take an extended leave of absence while retaining their employment and residency status (i.e., work permit and ARC)? I’ve had a few colleagues take LOA (留職停薪) in the past, ranging from 3 months to 8 months. However, these were all ROC nationals. What happens if you take time away from work as a foreign national? Is your ARC or NHI affected?

Are you stripped of your residency during the LOA, even though you are still legally employed? This strikes me as heavy-handed but I wouldn’t put it past the government. And if that were the case, I guess it would mean you are forced to leave Taiwan for the duration of your leave as well (?). :ponder:

Any help would be appreciated, especially if you have experienced this situation first hand or know of someone else who has… :taz:[/quote]
Many people have reported here that they were able to extend their ARC’s for 6 months upon leaving/losing their jobs if they went to the NIA immediately. The basis for it is Art. 22 of the Regulations Governing Visiting, Residency, and Permanent Residency of Aliens:

The NIA should be able to give you more information about how to handle your visa and ARC. You may also need to talk to the WDA about your work permit and to the NHI people about your NHI.

In some situations, leave cannot be refused, but for long-term unpaid leave the only one that comes to mind is parental leave (until the children turn 3 I think).

Not quite your circumstance but I took a months leave without pay, could have taken more, and other than HR mucking up my salary nothing adverse happened. I assume there was simply no notification made to the government.

Isn’t this simply an extended holiday? NHI should be paid during this period however the cost will be considerably lower as there is no income.