Leaving a tip in restaurants, bars and clubs in Taiwan?

[quote=“marboulette”][quote=“the chief”].

It’s perfectly ordinary for the customer to ask for change for the extra tenner when he pays, the waitress knows it’s so he can tip, and, accordingly, she’s most happy to oblige.[/quote]Absolutely. And chances are the server will bring you back two fives instead of one ten to make sure that you can still tip in case you’re not willing to tip a whole 10+ bucks.

marboulette[/quote]

It’s even kind of a game sometimes, where the waitress brings back the largest denominations of change she thinks she can get away with, sort of a war of nerves with the guest, like if he has the eggs to say, like “Sorry, can you give me two dimes and a nickel for one of these quarters?” and announce to the room at large that he’s a cheap Helen Hunt, then he’s sort of earned the right to welch on the tip…
I remember I was working this really busy cowboy bar and the owner (asshole, naturelment) was raising the prices and he was going to put draught up to (I don’t remember the $) something and 10 cents, and the staff went wild, because 50 cents and up, you’d usually get to keep the change (this is a looong time ago, it was probably going from CN$2.75 to 3.10 or thereaboots), but most guys wouldn’t drop 90 cents on a beer, so our income was severely impacted.
Cunt raised the prices anyway.
Yeah, Lyle, I mean you, ya cunt, I hope you’re out there somewhere reading this…and you know what else, man?? I FUCKED YOUR WIFE! BENT OVER A KEG OF MOLSON CANADIAN!! YEAH!! SHE LOVED IT, MAN!!! SHE WAS-
Oh, uh…sorry, where were we?
Oh yeah, tips.
Right.

and then you gave Julia Roberts a tip?

That’s right, man, I’M the reason they split up…
After you’ve had the chief, it’s pretty hard to go back to, well…

I’ll freely admit that I’m too dense to figure out the US system of when where and how much to tip, e.g. why some employees get tips and others don’t, how much is expected, how much will satisfy, how much will get spit in your next drink, etc. It’s just as well that I don’t go out too much, and when I do it’s not to places where tipping is expected.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“marboulette”][quote=“the chief”].

It’s perfectly ordinary for the customer to ask for change for the extra tenner when he pays, the waitress knows it’s so he can tip, and, accordingly, she’s most happy to oblige.[/quote]Absolutely. And chances are the server will bring you back two fives instead of one ten to make sure that you can still tip in case you’re not willing to tip a whole 10+ bucks.

marboulette[/quote]

It’s even kind of a game sometimes, where the waitress brings back the largest denominations of change she thinks she can get away with, sort of a war of nerves with the guest, like if he has the eggs to say, like “Sorry, can you give me two dimes and a nickel for one of these quarters?” and announce to the room at large that he’s a cheap Helen Hunt, then he’s sort of earned the right to welch on the tip…
I remember I was working this really busy cowboy bar and the owner (asshole, naturelment) was raising the prices and he was going to put draught up to (I don’t remember the $) something and 10 cents, and the staff went wild, because 50 cents and up, you’d usually get to keep the change (this is a looong time ago, it was probably going from CN$2.75 to 3.10 or thereaboots), but most guys wouldn’t drop 90 cents on a beer, so our income was severely impacted.
Cunt raised the prices anyway.
Yeah, Lyle, I mean you, ya cunt, I hope you’re out there somewhere reading this…and you know what else, man?? I FUCKED YOUR WIFE! BENT OVER A KEG OF MOLSON Canadian!! YEAH!! SHE LOVED IT, MAN!!! SHE WAS-
Oh, uh…sorry, where were we?
Oh yeah, tips.
Right.[/quote]

That’s a lot of pent up frustrations you got there, chief. Cracked me up pretty good. :laughing:

I ran a resto for nearly a decade before I came to Taiwan, and I can tell that you’re talking with extensive experience in the food and beverages industry. Your input is well appreciated.

marboulette