Leaving for Taiwan...Need advice pleeease!

Hello everyone,

I am a 28 year old native French, currently living in Australia and about to leave for Taiwan. It is a bit risky, considering the facts that I’m travelling only with one way tickets and have to earn the money to go somewhere else in the country Im visiting (does this sentence make sense?? hope you get the point…). Well, many questions are running through my mind, such as:

• what about teaching French in Taipei?? Is there a lot of job offers specifically for French natives?
  • what about teaching English as a non english native? I heard it is legally not possible, but what about some cash in hand jobs??
  • what about finding a job in the night industry, let’s say bartender or bar manager, which is where I got the most experience. If possible, what would be the earnings?
  • how would you describe the Taiwanese mentality? For those of you who know Thailand, what are the main differences between the two countries (I felt in love with Thailand but just cant find a job there :frowning: )??

Well I guess I had more questions but I forgot them. Anyway, my main question would be: how risky is it to go to Taiwan with a one way ticket and not much money?

I have a friend who is offering me a bed in Taipe. I went to university in canada (business administration) but didnt get no diploma. And I speak a bit of Spanish. Here is the resume.

I really hope that some of you will be able to give me some precise, objective answers and/or info.

Thanks in advance! :notworthy:

Alex

You are really kidding if you think you will teach (coach) English. Sorry, but your post is riddled with errors. I don’t want to denegrate your use of grammar and if you weren’t inquiring about teaching (coaching) English, I wouldn’t. I admire your use of a second language as such, but it is still a second language for you. I speak French conversationally, but would never dream of trying to teach (coach) it.

There are locals interested in learning French, but those jobs are few and far between. As a passport holder from France, you are right that there are no “legal” jobs available to you in Taiwan. You may be better off to consider Japan or RSK.

As for the service industry, how does 100NT an hour plus zero tips sound?

And welcome to Forumosa. :wink:

With a one-way ticket you won’t get far. The visa-exempt entry allows you to stay 30 days, not extendable. But you won’t even get that unless you have “a confirmed return air ticket or an air ticket and a visa for the next destination, and a confirmed seat reservation for departure.

If you don’t have a visa you will not be allowed on a plain to Taiwan with a one way ticket and no ticket out …

There are lot’s of French in Taiwan … many of them on a French governement program …

Legally you couldn’t get a bartender job … also bar manager is not easy, if you get a job as bar manager it’s up to what you negotiate but the minimum to be elegible for a work permit and ARC is about 50,000 NT$/month

If you risk the chance of getting deported you can always try to teach english illegally at a kindergarten or buxiban …

Why do you want to come to Taiwan?

Everyone wants to come here …

lol! Toe Save, I see you love my english. I guess I speak much better than I write! Anyway…

I did have considered japan or rsk, but the cost of living is much greater over there.
100 NT per hour as a bartender really sounds like :noway:
But you still said there was some jobs available as a french teacher, so everything is not lost.

As for the visa, the Economic and Cultural Office of Taiwan in Sydney assured me that I could travel to Taipei with a one way ticket as long as had a 60 day tourist visa, which is not so hard to get - some paperwork and its done in three days.

However, all your comments are far less optimistic than the ones I have received so far, so I might reconsider. I just want to go back to Asia and work there, whatever the country.

Thanks to all of you!

Alex

1 : Because I want to go back to Asia
2 : Because my cousin is there, so I got a roof
3 : mmm well, thats pretty much it

The BOCA disagrees: Information on Republic of China Visitor Visas (Requirements, item 3.) and VISITOR VISA FOR TOURISM PURPOSE (6.Return Ticket). Also note item 4. (Evidence of funds) under the 2nd link, which could be a problem in your case.

The BOCA disagrees: Information on Republic of China Visitor Visas (Requirements, item 3.) and VISITOR VISA FOR TOURISM PURPOSE (6.Return Ticket). Also note item 4. (Evidence of funds) under the 2nd link, which could be a problem in your case.[/quote]

Well, I guess you just buried my Taiwan mission. Too bad.

Tx

Alex

If you want a bit of life experience and the chance to earn some cash, head over to NZ.

unemployment is around 3% right now, and there’s major shortage in laboring type work such as working in Vineyards, Fruit etc.

You’d be eligible for a working holiday visa (under 30), and it’s a 3hr hop from where you are now.

[quote=“Truant”]If you want a bit of life experience and the chance to earn some cash, head over to NZ.

unemployment is around 3% right now, and major shortage in laboring type work such as working in Vineyards, Fruit etc.

You’d be eligible for a working holiday visa (under 30), and it’s a 3hr hop from where you are now.[/quote]

I was checking the working holiday for NZ only 1 mn ago! What you are saying about the work and cash situation looks really tempting. Unfortunatly, it seems that the laws have recently changed, and I can only ask for the working holiday from France (cant ask it from sydney and move directly to NZ). I wonder if they really check it out though…

My Chinese teacher is going to do that Truant. Did you talk him into it?

[quote=“tropic_al”][quote=“Truant”]If you want a bit of life experience and the chance to earn some cash, head over to NZ.

unemployment is around 3% right now, and major shortage in laboring type work such as working in Vineyards, Fruit etc.

You’d be eligible for a working holiday visa (under 30), and it’s a 3hr hop from where you are now.[/quote]

I was checking the working holiday for NZ only 1 mn ago! What you are saying about the work and cash situation looks really tempting. Unfortunatly, it seems that the laws have recently changed, and I can only ask for the working holiday from France (cant ask it from sydney and move directly to NZ). I wonder if they really check it out though…[/quote]

It’s not really for me to say…but, I do know of backpackers who go for a visit and find willing employers who provide reimbursement in the form of accom, food and cash.
The other option would be to head there and send off your application for the visa to Paris while you have a look around.
Check this link and pick up the phone I’d say.
immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ … scheme.htm

[quote=“Truant”][quote=“tropic_al”][quote=“Truant”]If you want a bit of life experience and the chance to earn some cash, head over to NZ.

I was checking the working holiday for NZ only 1 mn ago! What you are saying about the work and cash situation looks really tempting. Unfortunatly, it seems that the laws have recently changed, and I can only ask for the working holiday from France (cant ask it from sydney and move directly to NZ). I wonder if they really check it out though…[/quote]

It’s not really for me to say…but, I do know of backpackers who go for a visit and find willing employers who provide reimbursement in the form of accom, food and cash.
The other option would be to head there and send off your application for the visa to Paris while you have a look around.
Check this link and pick up the phone I’d say.
immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ … scheme.htm[/quote]

interesting link…thanks!

If you are already in OZ, you might want to check up similar working opportunities there too.

I actually came to OZ to do this kind of job, labouring or mine jobs, anything that would pay good. Couldnt get any. You need to know someone who knows someone who knows someone who…well, you got the picture. I have been working for 6 months in a nightclub, 3 nights a week only, and just CAN NOT find anything else. From my experience, making money in AUstralia is a myth.

The only good thing is the tax return. Its like saving money without even trying to, and thats what’s gonna allow me to move somewhere else. But where?? (taiwan, south korea, japan, vietnam…wherever there is a job)

Never leave home without your towel and a bag of peanuts. Trust me.

Any way, you can always get a friendly travel agent to make a reservation on a flight back out of the country for you, and then cancel it once you have safely got to Taiwan.

Hi Alex

re. the visa

The one and only time I applied for a 60-day visa (as a UK citizen), I was not required to produce an onward or return ticket. Actually I specifically asked if this was necessary (I did have an onward ticket which they didn’t know) but was told it wasn’t. This was the BOCA in Saigon, Vietnam. That is not to say you won’t be asked for one! Assuming you do get a visa you shouldn’t be required to produce an onward/return ticket at check-in (willing to stand corrected on this). Only if you’re coming visa-exempt is an onward/return ticket necessary at check-in. Once you get to immigration they never seem to ask about flight tickets at all if you fill in details of your intended exit flight number.

re. Thailand/Taiwan differences

Really so hard to sum up, plus I don’t know Thailand so well. But one thing I will say - there just seem to be fewer western foreigners here. Thailand is a popular tourist destination. Its also cheap. An upshot of this is that Taiwan is not too bad if you can live like a local. But if you want your western stuff, its a lot more difficult than in a place like Thailand. Just look at the restaurant threads. I like Alleycats for their pizzas and the Diner for their burgers. I’m probably going to upset a few people here - but a reason why these kinds of places get so much attention is that they are so few and far between. If you dropped by the Diner tomorrow you’d probably wonder what all the fuss is about. Well, your French, so your tastes are probably different. Personally I like Thai food in general (some exceptions) and I don’t like Taiwanese food in general. Actually the only thing I really like about food in Taiwan is Japanese food! Without a large expat community here + large number of tourists, western stuff just seems to be expensive, hard to get, and/or localised. Also the average Taiwanese is better off than the average Thai - another reason why stuff can just end up being expensive.

re. Abandonning your plan

Don’t want to encourage you either way. But if you’re looking for other places in Asia I would strongly consider Vietnam where I lived for a while. I think there is a greater interest in learning French there than in Taiwan (can’t really back that up, just kinda “feel” it). You’d probably be able to teach English there too. French people seem to get on well with Vietnam, and the Vietnamese still have a lot of respect and knowledge for many things French. Easier to get decent bread there too!
(Price of baguette at my nearest breadshop - NT$35, about 0.78euro, Price of baguette at my nearest breadshop in Saigon - VND4000, about 0.18euro…)

Best of luck!