Leaving on APRC: 5 years or 183 days

I hold an APRC and am considering leaving Taiwan for an extended period of time. I have heard that the government recently changed the rules so that an APRC is still valid if you have left the country for up to five years. However, I recently got a new APRC card and it says I can only be gone for no more than 183 days. Which is it, five years or 183 days? :ponder:

Last I heard it the changes have not yet been approved.

Any updates on this?

Still stuck in the Legislature, no white smoke yet.

The Legislative Yuan just started reviewing that set of amendments again yesterday, and will be continuing tomorrow. I didn’t see the amendment regarding the 183-day rule on the list of what was discussed, but I assume they’ll be looking at it soon. Of course, even if it does get approved in this session, it may not come into effect till next year. Keeping my fingers crossed!

You can apply to leave up to 2 years I believe, but you need to have a good reason.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

Hi

Any news on this?

Cheers,
A

Unfortunately, the amendments seem to be in legislative limbo again. Haven’t heard any news about them since January. May have something to do with Lee Hong-yuan, who was a big supporter of the amendments, being forced out of office–despite having the highest approval ratings of all the current ministers–by the ever-delightful Jiang Yi-hua. Anyway, the amendments are still on the docket, and it appears they’re being reviewed on an item by item basis, so it may take a while. Some time this year? Please?

Well I am going to be asking for a year leave next week so I’ll let you all know how that goes.

With prove in writing, translated, notarized, stamped.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

Did this work out for you?

Anyone else tried it yet or can confirm how long you can leave for if you ask to extend beyond 183 days?

Anyone else tried it yet or can confirm how long you can leave for if you ask to extend beyond 183 days?[/quote]

Two years, already reported and confirmed. Works like a charm. Not sure what’s going to happen if you attempt to apply again after two 2 years (need to reside on the island for few months/years?).

Anyone else tried it yet or can confirm how long you can leave for if you ask to extend beyond 183 days?[/quote]

Two years, already reported and confirmed. Works like a charm. Not sure what’s going to happen if you attempt to apply again after two 2 years (need to reside on the island for few months/years?).[/quote]

Yes, I confirmed this on another thread on the topic. Applied for two years and got it no questions asked. The application is done online. Super simple.

Have there been any updates on this?

This 183-day rule has really taken the gloss off my shiny new APRC. In fact, I would probably have been better off just keeping my JFRV and saving the 10K as we’re planning on moving back to the UK for our kid’s education so will definitely be gone for longer than two years.

The APRC was supposed to give me more freedom and security, however it’s left me feeling more restricted than ever.

Just go online every two years and apply for an extension. You’ll get an email back from the Immigration Bureau a few days later approving your extension. No hassles. All you need is a Taiwan address. When I asked Immigration what the limit on number of extensions is they told me there is no limit any longer. Just don’t forget to apply for an extension within the two year period.

One more reason to love Taiwan.

4 Likes

This is great news, but has anyone done 2 years and then immediately tried to apply again for another two years? I’m confident in getting the first one approved based on the accounts of others, but I’ve never heard of anyone going beyond the initial two years with another immediate extension.

Yes, I’ve been spending so much time in Japan and the U.S. the last three years that I’m on my second extension now. No pwoblem.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for confirming!

Sorry, one more question. I assume that you can still travel in and out of Taiwan on the same APRC while on leave?

Yes, zero problem going in and out of Taiwan while on extension leave.

1 Like