Leaving on APRC: 5 years or 183 days

Hello Winston_Simth,

Thanks for the the in-put and useful advice. I am also planning to apply for the 2 year leave since I will be working outside of Taiwan for most of this year and maybe next. I just want to confirm that once on ‘leave’ we can still go in and out of Taiwan. I plan to stay maybe a few months out of the year in Taiwan but not a full 183 days. Great if you can give me some advice. Thanks!!

Supposedly the law changed that aprc holders could have up to 5 years without needing to ask but I have no confirmation of that.

1 Like

It has changed to allow APRC 5 Years away , without the need for notification. BUT, this is Taiwan, and apparently it only applies to APRC’s issued for “Foreign Professionals”. So , as usual, it looks as though you really need to check first with NIA to be absolutely sure…
If your APRC was issued for another purpose , you may have to still stay 183 days per Year .

3 Likes

I think the Ministry of Love finally got to Comrade @Winston_Smith, so we may not hear from him again.

Even Comrade @politbureau hasn’t been spotted around here for a while. :hushed:

Yes, APRC 5 years away with need to notify. I just called and checked on my application (called 2018/7/9) which I never got a reply. They said its an Auto 5 years given now and then you need to start applying at the end of that. Didn’t say when they started to count but thats something to call and check about in 4 to 5 years.

1 Like

Yes, i have been going in and out a lot. No problem.

I wonder if you can walk in at 4 years and 364 days, stay for a few days and leave again, if the 5 year clock gets reset or do you have to stay the typical 183 days again.

Did you’ve have a work ARC or marriage ARC before your APRC was issued? It seems the 5yrs away is only given to a person that has work ARC before the APRC

I wasn’t so happy with @Winston_Smith that I even forgot about the terrible rain. But he is out of the forum since then, was it a troll? Do we still have hope to apply extended leaves for 2yrs back to back?

Good question. I’ve been wondering that myself.
I am on a work permit arc and immigration said I would still qualify for aprc if I was on the 6 month looking for work arc.

But if that’s the case, the non work arc wouldn’t qualify for the 5 year window to leave and come back .

If you’ve are on work ARC you shouldn’t worry because when the time comes for you to get APRC, according with the new law, you will be able to leave for 5 yrs without a problem. Now, if you change to marriage ARC before the APRC is issued then you fall into the category of needing to stay 183 days or the extended leave for 2yrs.

1 Like

My problem is I’m considering quitting and going home for a few months while remaining on the 6 month looking for work and travel visa.
When I return i will apply for the Aprc.

It seems that you need to be doing a professional activity to get the 5 year one, a looking for work visa wouldn’t count it seems.

Automatic 5 years now. Best call in to check.

I think after 5 years u need to stay at least half a year for the clock to restart.

Yeah

I guess that would be true. I myself stopped working about 4.30 yrs in and extended for 6 months. Then went and applied for the APRC with no problem.

I was on a ARC for work. Quit 4.5 yrs in and extended that ARC for 6 months. At the end of that I applied for the APRC with no trouble. You might just stop by or call to ask.

Called in, the 5 years is only for people who got ARC through work not marriage.

1 Like

Comrade Smith is no troll. He stopped using that name and went back to @politbureau, but I haven’t seen him around for a while.

1 Like