Leaving Taipei to Shanghai for work?

Well, your friends also moved on. Then, why can’t you try? People can always take the risks and opportunities. Yes, you have your family here to give you all the support. But, you need to pretend if you don’t have them. What is your next step?

Well most of them are not Taiwanese so. This is my native country. And I do work here so it’s not like I live off my family and none of my jobs have been connected with my family.

This is also my native country. Did you also study abroad and work for many years? Yeah, I can see the pain. It is hard to apply for dual citizenship in USA or Canada. That sucks! I was working in a better job in USA.

Yeah I moved when I was a kid. I have dual Us and ROC. I moved back 3 years ago hoping to reconnect with my roots. I like living here for the most part, I’ve can certainly think of worst places. I’m mostly wondering about shanghai and what’s it like. Maybe it’s not as bad as the rest of China. But sounds like it’s exactly like it except maybe a bit nicer and international

I also don’t ask my family for any help, either. My relatives could refer me to some jobs. But, I think it is better not. If I ask my parents for money, they won’t have problems to give to me since I am an onlychild. But, I always tell them I make more than enough. I can support myself in Taiwan. But, it still sucks. Whoever lived our lives will understand how we feel. We are not incapable to work. But, the employers are incapable to give us a better position, benefits and career break. There is a lot of nepotism in Taiwan.

I have dual citizenship from Brazil and ROC. I left Brazil to move to USA in 2005,never came back after this year. I lost contacts with all my Brazilian friends. Well, it has been 22 years ago. I think people will barely speak to you when they don’t see you for a long time. I still have some friends in USA. But, I haven’t been back to USA for 5 years. I could go there again. My father has American citizenship. If I go, then I can apply for work visa to work with him. But, I really want to get everything by my own without relying on others.

You would want a car, 100%. Shanghai is big, public transport lacking, taxis can be hard to find and may not want your patronage if you’re only going a short distance (though an agreed tip will help). Bike shares and electric scooters seem the norm, plus Audi’s and BMWs :).

I have never been in Shanghai. I only travelled to Macao and Hong Kong. But, I have heard there are many International Cuisines there. There are many foreigners living there. You might find many dim sums. I love dim sums. About the transportation, it is funny because I thought I was the only one who couldn’t ride a bike. I learned how to ride a bike and a scooter when I moved here. I hate it. But, I need them. I refuse to own a car in Taiwan. I miss my Toyota Prius while I was still living in USA. But, I am sure my car will be always towed in Taiwan because I don’t see many parking lots.

I can ride a bicycle but not a scooter or motorbike. And I’ll never do it. I’m the person that would without a doubt die from doing that.

Hmm so it also sounds like I need to calculate the costs of a car there. Also my gf can’t drive. Just can’t do idk about going there now. I’m not looking to drive her everywhere.

They do have a taxi booking app that seems quite good, though I never used it as you need a local number.

Ok serious question that no one talked about yet and could be a serious deal breaker. Are there 711s there?

Yes, and Family Marts. The auto doors even play the same music and both stock similar items. Not as many around though, and more local convenience stores that aren’t as nice.

Yes they have 7-11, but I like the Lawson (Japan’s biggest mini marts) in Shanghai as they seems newer, .as well lots of new Family Marts.

As for public transport, I think Shanghai Metro is the biggest in the world (or maybe Beijing’s), and decent system. I have also no problems to get Taxi or us apps (didi)

Oh yes, there are 7-11s there.

i’d say it would be pretty hard if you have already been in taiwan a few years. china is good if you are young, fresh, naive, can look past the CONSTANT annoyances and just enjoy the chaos. when you are already used to a kushdy life and already have an idea of what chinese culture is then i think it would be pretty hard.

socially there could be more going on for you there, way more foreigners, nightlife ect. more swanky stuff going on over there.

shanghai feels pretty inconvenient and spaced out compared to here. housing costs more too, while giving you less for your money. and yea the food will murk your insides, no two ways about it.

Yeah I think I won’t be drawn in by the city lights and mystic orient looking at temples and Buddha statues my friends who have never been in Asia seem to be. I was hoping to hear more positives about shanghai but it sounds like unless their contract is amazing. I don’t think I’ll make the move

And I’m guessing I’ll have to bite my tongue as i tell people that’s I’m from taiwan as they somehow seem to have to say that it’s part of China isn some way in the conversation. It’s like they have to say it or else or something.

Never happened to me though.

1 Like

Maybe it is law. Maybe they need to finish each sentence like that. “The weather is nice today! Taiwan is a part of China.” “Hey, did you go to the store? Taiwan is a part of China.”

I worked with a teacher who taught in Shanghai, and she said people would come up to her out of the blue and say that. And “Your government lies” and this or that.

2 Likes

Idk maybe it was a Beijing thing. do they speak with the heavy R tone when they talk in shanghai. I recently told my gf about them curling their tongue with the heavy R on our trip. She never noticed it before, now she also hates it hahaha

Its happens to me a lot in China even with colleagues who I regards as friends.

Its like saying coca- they got to fill in the cola to feel right. :rofl:

Shanghai locals speak Shanghainese.

1 Like