Leaving Taiwan: a checklist

I know. Pretty soon Fcom is going to be all posters who have left. :laughing:[/quote]

Well there will always be the newbies trolling by, then theres Icon :slight_smile:[/quote]

Que paso, que paso, vamos ahi!!! :fume:

No offense, but Iā€™m inclined to take the advice of my lawyer over Internet forum advice. If he says itā€™s going to be OK, itā€™s probably going to be OK.[/quote]

none takenā€¦ wish you best of luck.

I hope youā€™ve got the right guy, HWW.

Hokwongwei, can please explain more in depth what you meant with this sentence? Is there such a specific timeframe between shots and departure?

I am planning to move back to Europe this August and I am very anxious about how to take my cat with me. The infos I found online are quite confusing and imprecise, but I really donā€™t know how and when I should get started with this process.

Any additional info would be extremely appreciated! Thanks :wink:

Man, good luck back in the country of ehemā€¦ freedom. We still want you writing here though.

Hok, got a question about getting cats from Taiwan to the US. Did you cats have to spend time in quarantine when you get to the US? If so, how is that process and how did your cats handle it? I read it somewhere that pets entering Taiwan would have to spend up to 3 weeks in quarantine, separated from their ownersā€¦

Itā€™s amazingly easy to take cats to the US. If there shots are up to date, get proof from the vet, take it to the 防ē–«ęŖ¢ē–«å±€ office at Songshan Airport (see? That airport has its uses!) to get an English version.

But the only person who actually checked to make sure I had that list was the check-in counter for United. When I arrived at SFO, they didnā€™t bother checking.

Customs: ā€œIs that a cat?ā€
Me: ā€œTwo, actually.ā€
Customs: ā€œOh. Thatā€™s neat.ā€

PS, United and Delta let you take them in the cabin with you, but only on direct flights to SFO.

In 1999 when i brought my two cats with me to SFO. They came straight home with me, no quarantine.

There was a detailed process to follow on the Taiwan side of things. And EVA air gave me exactly what I needed to do and i followed it to the letter and all was good.

Get shots at such and such a place. Must leave within X time frame. Book the ticket , mention cats travelling. US customs are notified in advance. Go to airport, check in, they took the cats. Arrived SFO, US customs/immigration brought out my cats (they met them at the airplane on ground) and off I went.

US Customs/Immigration even opened up a door just for me because there were hundreds of people in lines. And i had my cats with me. I did not have to wait in line.

Hi, when you were at Taoyuan Airport, did the TSA (security) there force you to put the carrier (with cat inside) through the X-ray machine? The reason I ask, is because I have read some blogs that said the Taoyuan TSA would not allow their cat to be taken out of the carrier. That is, the carrier - with cat inside - were put through the X-ray machine. I read some other blogs where people refused to allow their cat be put through the X-ray machine and they got lucky and the TSA staff that day allowed them to take their cat our of the carrier and carry the cat through the metal detector (and the empty carrier alone went through the X-ray).

Can you let me know what your experience was at the Taoyuan airport? I am very worried about this. My and my wife will be bringing our cats in the cabin with us on our United flight to return to the U.S. The idea of having to put my cats through an X-ray machine makes me sick.

Have you contact the staff at the airport and asked? May be faster than asking random people on the internet and certainly more reliableā€¦

You might not get a response from OP. Heā€™s since left the forum.

Iā€™d go with @SuperS54 suggestion and give the airport a call.