Leaving Taiwan for good after an extended overstay

He’s talking out his arse. :unamused: I’ve had two US friends detained prior to deportation. That kid has no idea what he’s talking about.
Has your friend actually completed the process? No TAX? :astonished: He doesn’t have to pay any tax? He doesn’t have to show any tax receipts?
I call complete bullshit on that! Your friend simply talked to a kid who doesn’t have the FAINTEST idea what he’s talking about. I predict your friend will have a great deal of trouble when he talks to a REAL official about having no tax records.[/quote]

Sandman, the poster said that his friend had already gone to the officials. Maybe things have changed since your friends had trouble. The NIA guys are a bit easier to deal with than those old FAP, no?

[quote=“xiao ke ai”]So, he’s gone to the immigration authorities just now…and they will take only 10000 NT off of him for the overstay fine–no detainment, no tax trouble, no fishing boats.

Thanks to all who contributed informed, thoughtful advice.

An interesting part of the tale is something an immigration worker–who, by the way, were kids doing their national conscription service, not pig-headed superego types–said: “Yes, there is a detainment room, but not for Americans or Canadians.”[/quote]

Xiao ke ai,

This is very useful information as I have a friend in a similar position. His greatest concern, however, is whether he would be banned from returning, and for how long. Could you let us know what your friend was told in this regard?

Good to hear, 10k NTD and thats it would be very civil indeed. Mucho moons ago I ran into an American acquaintance of mine at the FAP and he had over-stayed by 4 years, but had all his taxes paid and evidence to prove it. He was told by the clerk a manager would have to see him. After a bit of telling off he got a fine … ntd 120 and no other penalty :slight_smile: Those were the days.

nt$ 120 and thats all the punishment is what it should be for this small oversight :smiley:

[quote=“Rotalsnart”]
Xiao ke ai,
This is very useful information as I have a friend in a similar position. His greatest concern, however, is whether he would be banned from returning, and for how long. Could you let us know what your friend was told in this regard?[/quote]

Rotalsnart, check out the link to the Yilan gov’t procedure for leaving after overstay in English. It states that, if one has overstayed by more than one year, then one is banned from return for a period equal to he overstay and up to five years. So, yep, for your friend that might be a problem.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“Rotalsnart”]
Xiao ke ai,
This is very useful information as I have a friend in a similar position. His greatest concern, however, is whether he would be banned from returning, and for how long. Could you let us know what your friend was told in this regard?[/quote]

Rotalsnart, check out the link to the Yilan gov’t procedure for leaving after overstay in English. It states that, if one has overstayed by more than one year, then one is banned from return for a period equal to he overstay and up to five years. So, yep, for your friend that might be a problem.[/quote]
Maybe each country has a different rule. Like driving licences: :laughing:
chi.cyi.gov.tw/Reciprocity.htm#North%20America
Probably Yilan lists the rule for Burkina Faso.

Do people who overstay lengthy periods think that they should be allowed to return?

BigJohn, Thanks for pointing me to that info.

SatTV, I don’t know, you’d have to ask them. Sometimes decent people end up mired in situations that in retrospect they wish they had handled otherwise. There but for the grace of God…

He’s talking out his arse. :unamused: I’ve had two US friends detained prior to deportation. That kid has no idea what he’s talking about.
Has your friend actually completed the process? No TAX? :astonished: He doesn’t have to pay any tax? He doesn’t have to show any tax receipts?
I call complete bullshit on that! Your friend simply talked to a kid who doesn’t have the FAINTEST idea what he’s talking about. I predict your friend will have a great deal of trouble when he talks to a REAL official about having no tax records.[/quote]

Sandman, the poster said that his friend had already gone to the officials. Maybe things have changed since your friends had trouble. The NIA guys are a bit easier to deal with than those old FAP, no?[/quote]
Not quite. He went to the officials, indeed, but spoke only to a kid doing his national service. You know how difficult it is to get the same answer even from career desk jockeys here.
I’d be very very dubious about anything told to me by a kid doing his alternative service, especially something as important as the OPs questions. Maybe the location of the hot water machine, but even then I’d be surprised to find he’d managed to get his directions right.

[quote=“sandman”]
Not quite. He went to the officials, indeed, but spoke only to a kid doing his national service. You know how difficult it is to get the same answer even from career desk jockeys here.
I’d be very very dubious about anything told to me by a kid doing his alternative service, especially something as important as the OPs questions. Maybe the location of the hot water machine, but even then I’d be surprised to find he’d managed to get his directions right.[/quote]

When I had some visa problems earlier this summer and thought I might have to overstay by 3 days, I got 3 different answers from 3 different long term officials, none of which turned out to be correct in the end. This after referring to their ‘rule book’. I wouldn’t trust anything as important as this from one single possibly uninformed source.

Xiao ke ai,

Let us know the exact date when your friend is scheduled to leave. Then we can all see what happens and we will know how it all turns out.
:popcorn:

I know of two people who overstayed 8 and 10 years respectively.

One returned on another passport.

Both just had to pay overstay fines.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]Xiao ke ai,

Let us know the exact date when your friend is scheduled to leave. Then we can all see what happens and we will know how it all turns out.
:popcorn:[/quote]
Bump

Nothing will happen to that friend, I’m sure. To be honest, I’ve had that happened to me twice, due to my own stupidity , of course. No canning, no slow boat out in the night, no detainment, just a hefty fine.
The real problem lies in getting a re-entry, and you’d have to over stay for more than 6 months for that to happen.

If anyone cares, I overstayed by a couple of days in Jakarta many moons ago and Indonesian border guard fined me $20USD… and I just simply went to Singapore for the day and came back and got a new 2 month stay again.

Cheapness I say.