Leaving Taiwan, need advice on how to get tax refund out of my Fubon bank account

Hi all.

I am leaving Taiwan in early July, and won’t be returning. My tax refund will go into my Fubon bank account in August. I am having trouble figuring out how I can get that money out of Taiwan. My ARC will also expire in August.

My bank (Fubon) say I can’t withdraw the money overseas using my Fubon card, as they need to activate this feature for it to work, and they can’t activate it now because I have less than 6 months remaining on my ARC.

They also say I can’t organise an international bank transfer from outside of the country, again because I have less than 6 months remaining on my ARC.

Is what I am being told correct? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this money out?

I thought getting a 6 month extension on my ARC, to fulfill Fubon’s 6 month requirement, but according to the NIA website they need to see my apartment rental contract. My contract will end in July. Would that be an issue?

Thanks for your help!

3 Likes

Just make a new ‘contract’

1 Like

It sounds like bank nonsense that they can’t activate overseas withdrawals. I’d check with a different branch. Other option is to give a friend that you trust your ATM card and pin to wire the money for you

sounds like nonesene. i understand not opening a new account with less than 6 months, but not giving you a pin number for overseas withdrawl? ask them to show you the regulation in writing… if you have the mental strength, complain and make a stink.

Usually you can turn on your card yo be used overseas using the online banking, your ARC status shouldn’t matter. You won’t be able to get money out of an ATM but you’ll be able to make purchased with your card.

This worked for me with E Sun, not sure if Fubon is the same.