Leaving Taiwan (Paying 'Phantom' Tax?)

1. Taiwan isnt part of Interpol

2. No lawyer will advise you to flee.

One of them. She had to flee too tho. It was the other business partner. They ended up transferring the business assets into both theirs and the franchise manager for Taiwan’s name while shifting the tax burden onto the weiguoren.

I can name multiple cases where foreigner’s from Taiwan have been placed on the Interpol list. Taiwan has an Interpol Liaison Office. I’ve been there. They don’t really do much.

This particular lawyer knew his client had no chance. And was about to be locked up. For something they never did but couldn’t prove they were innocent of. A lawyer’s duty is first to the court and second to their client. So yes this lawyer broke their oath to the court but upheld their contract with their client.

True that lawyers cannot advise a client to break the law. But lawyers have clever ways to describe these things:

“Mr. Client, I cannot advise you to take any action in contravention of the law, such as fleeing the country this weekend before your passport is flagged. However if you do take such action before Monday, it is most likely the only way you can escape criminal penalty, and Taiwan would not be able to extradite you. Remember, as an attorney I cannot advise you to take this action that would keep you safe from harm and allow you to maintain your freedom! Act accordingly!”

1 Like

That’s why I always carry my passport with me. If the shit hits the fan it’s straight to the airport.

Of course in COVID times this is a useless strategy.

1 Like