Leaving Taiwan - what do I do with my old scooter?

Hi there, I’m leaving Taiwan in a couple weeks. I have an old, crappy scooter that I can’t sell.

Does anyone know how/where to dispose of it?

Thanks!

Post brand, model and year and perhaps somebody will be keen to negotiate some symbolic amount to pay for it :slight_smile:

Take it and the relevant paperwork to your local government motor vehicle office. They give you a bit of cash (NT$500? I forget now) and scrap it for you.

It is legally registered to you, right?

Yeh, do that if you can. Scrapping (working or fixable, I assume?) vehicles is sinful, and not in a good way.

just leave it parked in front of the local seven eleven.

They will eventually take it away and dump.

Yeh, do that if you can. Scrapping (working or fixable, I assume?) vehicles is sinful, and not in a good way.[/quote]

Uhm… who knows. Perhaps what he has been using until now and he’s about to give up could make happy somebody else. And I don´’t mean me. I have already three bikes, and need to sell at least one… :S

[quote=“bigduke6”]just leave it parked in front of the local seven eleven.

They will eventually take it away and dump.[/quote]

I hope that was a joke. Do not do that. My god!

Does the scooter run? If so, I can take it off your hands. If you are interested then message me.

Me too, I will take it if you are anywere near Taipei.

I’d be happy to sell it. Problem is I owe a lot in traffic fines, so I don’t think the registration can be transfered until those are paid off…which I don’t intend to do…

Perhaps I’m naive, but why don’t you intend to pay off the traffic fines? Do they belong to someone else?

Perhaps I’m naive, but why don’t you intend to pay off the traffic fines? Do they belong to someone else?[/quote]

No, they belong to me. As with many foreigners, I only intended on being here a year or two, which quickly turned into seven years. My scooter is registered to my old address so all of my fines throughout the years (photo radar, etc) have gone to my old mailbox. I drive slower now, but wasn’t shy about speeding for the first few years. Once I realized I was staying longer than I intended, I wanted to start paying off my fines. Problem is, the government has this rule where the fines just keep going up and up the longer you take to pay the tickets. So I probably owe in excess of 100,000nt by now, something I just can’t afford.

– Sorry double post –

Well, the one poster was right.

If you leave a scooter parked somewhere, after a few months of dust sitting on it someone will complain to the cops and they will put a paper on it telling you to move it or lose it, eventually they tow it away for scrap.

Now likely they will tack on more fines for towing your scooter away, but if you are not here anyway, im not sure if they can get you to pay it in your home country.
Even you not paying fines in general, if the amount is sufficient, the government could possibly sue you in your home country but I have not heard of this happening to anyone (yet) If you ever do decide to come back here to live, you ain’t getting a scooter registered in your name unless all fines are cleared.

Yeah…I think that is the biggest issue with not clearing fines, aside from it being a bit of a stain on your life in general…

I may plan to move back here at some point so will likely need to deal with it eventually if I want to get a car or another scooter.

Wow, so the fines stay with the scooter and not the driver? I guess you wouldn’t be able to sell it even if you wanted to. I doubt it would be worth the expense and effort for them to sue internationally for something like this.

As far as I know, the fines are in the name of the person who the scooter is registered to.

For example, I get your bike when you leave the country and I never change over the paperwork. I get pulled over by the police for various traffic of offenses but the fines are written in your name, not mine as the scooter is not mine.
I can buy a bike later in my name with no issues

However if the bike is in my name and I get pulled over and don’t pay, they have the fines under my name and I cant renew the registration or get another bike until the fines are paid up.

Please correct me if im wrong

I think you’re right, but I’ve heard that it’s also not possible to transfer the paperwork of a vehicle that has fines attached to it. I could be wrong, but that’s what I understand anyway… I’ll check into it. If I find out it is possible to transfer the papers, I’ll PM the people here who mentioned they may want a cheap scooter…

Yup you’re right, no transferring of papers unless the scooter fines are paid for.

I had one lousy fine last year that had just been mailed to my friend, who had the scooter in her name but I was riding it.
We went to do the transfer and it was blocked until I paid the fine. I had actually appealed the fine administratively and it was pending review, but I still could not put it in my name until I paid the fine. Obviously, once the money was paid the government isn’t going to give it back and they didn’t, appeal rejected a week later.