Leaving Taiwan

2,500 people? Well, at least the staring at everyone and everything won’t take you more than a week or two, tops. Do you have any idea what “2,500 people” means? Basically it means that no-one lives there. EVERYONE will know EVERYTHING about your business in approximately three days of your arrival there.

[/quote]

What grandpa said.

Battery9, here are pictures of around 2,500 people. It won’t take you too long to stare at everyone.

yeah, i know its nuts. Thats how many people there were in my highschool. Well, the idea of a strained relationship seems better than nothing right now.

I don’t know…something cheap and simple like walking the dogs with her made me happier than anything else ive done without her. So I do believe that she’s worth it. And YES, I do have my emergency fund!

It’s so interesting to read your point of view. Mine is so different.
I guess it’s all a question of mind-set. It must be. I have no other explanation for it. You see, I have met more people with similarities and made more friends in one place, when I lived in Taiwan, then anywhere else. I find that I have more in common with other people who have moved to another country/culture, than I have with people of the same background here at home.
And not only ex-pats, I’ve made friends with Taiwanese too, but that’s on different basis.
And it’s those people that I miss most about Taiwan.

I can’t imagine finding more people with common interests in a small [any western] town than in Taipei.

But nonetheless it’s interesting to read about another point of view.

Good luck with your decision, and enjoy whatever you do, wherever you go. :slight_smile:

I lived in a village of 50 people for a while and met 3 people who are still lifelong friends as we shared a lot of attitude and assumptions. 2500? Shit, I could get a baseball team of best friends out of that.

That’s why it’s so great to hear all these different views and experiences.

MM, you should come to the village Selca, on the island of Brac in Croatia. It’s very quaint and full of ‘special’ people. You’d hit it off with them I’m sure (that’s a compliment, not a put down) and possibly get another team out of it. you’d have to teach them baseball, though. :slight_smile:
Plus, it’s great for hiking and you’d love the nature.
maybe next hiking club outing?

That’s why it’s so great to hear all these different views and experiences.

MM, you should come to the village Selca, on the island of Brac in Croatia. It’s very quaint and full of ‘special’ people. You’d hit it off with them I’m sure (that’s a compliment, not a put down) and possibly get another team out of it. you’d have to teach them baseball, though. :slight_smile:
Plus, it’s great for hiking and you’d love the nature.
maybe next hiking club outing?[/quote]

I’m so there.

You know, one of my favorite books is David Copperfield, and in part because David does what I have always tried to do with my life: find like minded people no matter what circumstances I found myself in.

And there are always such people. Sometimes you have to wait a while, but they will come. For many years I had no new friends in Taiwan. Then when I came back from a hiatus in Canada I started the hiking club and within a month I had a dozen friends who are still some of the best people I know in Taiwan, or anywhere.

But Selca is calling. Actually it really is. I’ve been looking at Croatia for a while for a possible hiking tour. The pics I’ve seen show a blessed part of the world.

I like your approach to life and living. I too agree that if you’re open to it, you can find likeminded people everywhere. For me it’s just easier to do that far from home rather than at home. But I’ll try to open my mind to my countrymen now that I’m here for a while. :smiley:

Oh, I could talk about Selca for hours. It’s such a special little place. I’m going there for a few days next week. Can’t wait. Summer in the city is killing me.

I don’t want to take this too much off topic so I’ll send you links by PM.

[quote=“tash”]I like your approach to life and living. I too agree that if you’re open to it, you can find likeminded people everywhere. For me it’s just easier to do that far from home rather than at home. But I’ll try to open my mind to my countrymen now that I’m here for a while. :smiley:

Oh, I could talk about Selca for hours. It’s such a special little place. I’m going there for a few days next week. Can’t wait. Summer in the city is killing me.

I don’t want to take this too much off topic so I’ll send you links by PM.[/quote]

Please do. I’m serious that I am interested in travelling Croatia. Would love to see some more pics of the place.

hey put on a separate thread bout it. we wanna see it tooo

[quote=“merge”]
. My impression of the place (aside for the old chestnut “Home of the newlywed and nearly dead”) was DAMN, this is the whitest place I’ve ever seen. [/quote]

Unless you’re Asian, that’s a funny statement. :laughing:

…in a tiny town with a serious Hickville attitude…it will slowly drive you both bughouse nutz.

I grew up an expat kid…then went “home”…and Hickville did me in. Got out as soon as I could. The only time I ever “fit” in, was in boarding school in Switzerland…a whole crew of expatriate kids that told the same story.

Didn’t “grow up” in North America and even amongst most of the expats here…still find it strange. Don’t know the old TV shows they laugh about…clothing styles…whatever.

Brac…very pretty. Check out Medulin and Opatija.

one day.