Legal status in US?

Hello,

My wife and I were recently married here in Taiwan, but we’re wondering, since the US (I am a US national, she’s Taiwanese) does not have a national marriage registry or anything like that, how do we get the marriage recognized in the US? I’ve tried my local and state governments (PA), and they don’t seem to have a clue.

Thanks very much.

[quote=“mhinson”]Hello,

My wife and I were recently married here in Taiwan, but we’re wondering, since the US (I am a US national, she’s Taiwanese) does not have a national marriage registry or anything like that, how do we get the marriage recognized in the US? I’ve tried my local and state governments (PA), and they don’t seem to have a clue.

Thanks very much.[/quote]

Hi mhinson,

Are you in Pennsylvania or Taiwan? If you’re in Pennsylvania, your local government (marriage office) should be able to tell you how they would recognize your marriage. I am not sure the need for formal recognition in the US?

Check this AIT affidavit of marriage recognition if you’re still in Taiwan.

McLean,

Many thanks. We’re just going to go the route suggested to us by many other foreigners and get married (again) in the States. I’ve been told that it will make things easier if/when the time comes that we want to move to the US.

mhinson

Well, after a few hours reading through this forum, I finally found something that is related to my question. But, my computer can not read the pdf document from AIT. So, can anyone just tell me what to do?

My situation is, my boyfriend (American) and I(Taiwanese) are getting married soon. I heard there’s no marriage registration in the US. Does it mean that he can get married again in the US while we are still married? We live in Taiwan and will still live here for a few years. How can we get our marriage recognized in the US? Is it necessary for me?

The other question is, we still live in Taiwan after getting married, but we are going back to US to visit his parents later this year. What kind of visa should I apply at that time? Can I apply for an Immigrant visa here now so I don’t need to deal with visa problems later?

Thank you for your reply.

Check this AIT affidavit of marriage recognition if you’re still in Taiwan.[/quote]

[quote=“straybird”]The other question is, we still live in Taiwan after getting married, but we are going back to US to visit his parents later this year. What kind of visa should I apply at that time? Can I apply for an Immigrant visa here now so I don’t need to deal with visa problems later?
[/quote]

You should apply for a tourist visa (B-visa). You should have no problem obtaining one of these given that you are married to a US citizen and living in Taiwan.

travel.state.gov/family/family_i … e_589.html