Legality of non-police cars with red/blue flashing lights

Yesterday evening, I saw a car with blue/red flashing lights in the grille of their front bumper.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a police car - it had a high rear spoiler and Hello Kitty stickers on the back window. Unless of course the police were deep undercover.

What is the legality of having cars with lights that may be mistaken for a police car?

It is illegal.
Not sure if enforced though.
You can report it if you want.

Actually, a lot of modifications are illegal here, but people do it anyways…

yellow or blue headlights = illegal
strobe lights = illegal
red and blue flashing lights = illegal
completely tinted front windshields = illegal
removing the roll bar in SUVs = illegal
and more

but seems no enforcement, so might as well be legal

10 Likes

Pretty much any modification to lights, or the vehicle for that matter, is illegal. You can report the blue/red lights on the local police website, or the local police station, the driver likely won’t be fined but instead will be forced to go to the vehicle inspection station to have their vehicle checked, half a day wasted.

Thanks, I was just curious, don’t want to report it. It isn’t my style to bring trouble to the door of others.

I’m pretty sure it isn’t enforced. Like everything else.

2 Likes

Depending on who does it.

I remember seeing a couple of times scooters that resembled to some extent those from the police, including some sort of police looking lights.

A car I teat drove had a device for changing the horn sound; one of the flavours was police siren.

A fat man I almost had a fight with pretended to be a cop giving me a ticket.

No, wait, that was a real cop indeed.

1 Like

Were the lights something like this?

Yes.

Well, that license plate has a “外”, so isn’t it a “外交部” car? As in “diplomat car”. I’ve never seen anything but plain boring black on those here.

1 Like

A vehicle that transports one of high political importance. Although the grill lighting has been refined over the last couple decades, these red / blue lights in the grill were designated to those who were significant politically, as explained to me. Perhaps the hello kitty stickers the op mentioned were an optional custom feature, in addition to the spoiler. The politicians these days are quite the radicals.

Pelosi’s transport.